"New" Winchester 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one that I purchased new in 2003 before they stopped making them. My friends call it old fashioned but at the range they always want to shoot it and often end up buying a similar lever gun. The 94 is one of those guns that you have to shoot to understand.

Excellent, they are very fun and cool to boot. I have a ordinary one I am having a scout mount put on. It will be my 8 year olds first hunting rifle. 30-30 a-ok for deer and black bear.

Nice! hope you enjoy it. I have a model 94 that was made in 1962, it had been my grandpa's. I love shooting it, lever guns are great fun. The other lever gun I own is a Henry in .22lr. I'm wanting one in 44mag.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Nice! hope you enjoy it. I have a model 94 that was made in 1962, it had been my grandpa's. I love shooting it, lever guns are great fun. The other lever gun I own is a Henry in .22lr. I'm wanting one in 44mag.

Love levers. I have a few 450Marlins and a few 45/70's. You would be amazed what they can do with reloads as far as accuracy at 100 / 150 yards.

Congrats! IMO, probably the best carry-all-day & snap-shot deer rifle ever made. To keep the trim handling characteristics of your new '94 Winchester, consider mounting a Williams 5D or Foolproof receiver sight. Your 1973 version should be drilled & tapped for it at the factory, look for 2 small filler screws on the top rear LH side of the receiver. The front sight may require replacement too, can look it up on the Williams website.

Congratulations! I love those old 94's myself. I have a Teddy Roosevelt edition .30-30 and a 9422. Grew up shooting with my dad and grandpa's 9422's and carrying a regular 94 in .30-30 for deer. My grandpa even has a 9422 magnum.

Thanks all! I knew I was doomed when I walked in my LGS one afternoon sniffing out any rimfire ammo and was told they had a 94 that I would want to see.....around 42 seconds later, they had a sale.

Our collection of levers....
(2) Marlin 336 .30-30
Marlin 336c .30-30
Marlin 1895 .308 ME (what WAS I thinking??)
Marlin 1895g .45-70
Henry .22LR
Rossi .357 Mag
Win 94 .30-30

I would like to add a .450 Marlin to the litter eventually.....just because.

Last edited:
Great guns. I have a 1949 model 94 in like new condition and chambered for .32 Win special. I recently put it on
consignement with my local gun shop.
I got it from my father in law 20 years ago and have only had it out once. I don't rifle hunt and could only use it in our rifle zone anyway 2 weeks a year, also with arthritis in my knuckles it is hard to cycle.I figure its time to get rid of some stuff as my kids have no interest. They have it listed for 869.00!!!

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Thanks all! I knew I was doomed when I walked in my LGS one afternoon sniffing out any rimfire ammo and was told they had a 94 that I would want to see.....around 42 seconds later, they had a sale.

Our collection of levers....
(2) Marlin 336 .30-30
Marlin 336c .30-30
Marlin 1895 .308 ME (what WAS I thinking??)
Marlin 1895g .45-70
Henry .22LR
Rossi .357 Mag
Win 94 .30-30

I would like to add a .450 Marlin to the litter eventually.....just because.

If you reload 450M is a lot of fun. Caution if you don't reload as the ammo is not always available and not cheap! If you do load, the brass, even when loaded hot last forever! Much like 45/70.

I've long been a .30-30 fan......along with our levers, we also have a Savage bolt .30-30 and a .30-30 barrel for our Contender.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
We do handload and reload for every caliber we have....from .223/5.56 to .50BMG.

450M is for you! It's one of my favorites. Browning BLR and Marlin GG both, with the same load have returned 3 shot groups I won't state because it will seem ridiculous. BLR will do it with 5 shot groups but not the GG. I even made sure no pressure on from the foregrip

You will find 8lb IMR4198 goes quick!

I have my grandpa's 1949 model '94, in .30 WCF (.30-30). It shoots like a dream. I love the long echoing "boom" sound rather than the sharp "pop" from my pistols. I don't hunt, but I take that '94 shooting every time I go shooting.

Q: When is a '94 Winchester not a '94 Winchester?
A: When it's a Sears Model 100. Post-'64 mfr, a few differences- steel buttplate, a ramped front sight, steel cap on the forend, otherwise a 100% '94, made by Winchester themselves(ours is not the "Ted Williams" version). Dad traded for one long ago, after a few years it left the family for 25+ years, was gifted back to my youngest brother a few years ago. The rifle's still in pretty good shape & the old .30-30 cartridge remains good medicine for deer or wild hogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back