New VW-VW507/509 oil

Just got a new gli. Requires 508/509 0w20. Vw genuine is Mobil I think. That and the Mobil x2 are similar in price. Valvoline equivalent is about 10-15 cheaper for a six quart box. 5k oci. Think the Mobil is worth the extra coin?

the mobil 1 stuff is majority pao based is why its more expensive, valvoline is probably group 3 and 4 blend.
The Mobil is mostly GTL, however the Valvoline appears to be mostly crude derived group III, so the Mobil is probably using the better base oils.

OP if you're looking to get it cheaper, get it at Autozone, 5 quarts and a filter is only $36.99 https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...bil-1-synthetic-engine-oil-125386/1176333_0_0
1646023429107.jpg

Just remember, the guy who finished dead last in med school is still called "Doctor". Do you want him operating on your brain or would you prefer to have the guy who finished number 1 in the group? Just putting this out there... :)

Just remember, the guy who finished dead last in med school is still called "Doctor". Do you want him operating on your brain or would you prefer to have the guy who finished number 1 in the group? Just putting this out there... :)
Wait, you somehow have test results that show one approved oil outperformed another oil with the same approval?

Wait, you somehow have test results that show one approved oil outperformed another oil with the same approval?
Did I say anything about oil test results? I said that some doctors scored higher in school than others and yet they're all get to refer to themselves as "MD".

To answer the OP, choose any name brand product that meets the specifications of your vehicle and change it when specified. It's really that simple.

Did I say anything about oil test results? I said that some doctors scored higher in school than others and yet they're all get to refer to themselves as "MD".

To answer the OP, choose any name brand product that meets the specifications of your vehicle and change it when specified. It's really that simple.
So what was that whole "would you prefer to have the guy who finished number 1 in the group" thing about then? There was no correlation to the topic at hand?

I wouldn't run that whizz in a GLI engine. Power density is too high. 508/509 was too thin (insufficient HTHS) even for My 2019 1.4T.
Jetta 6M. I would consider running an appropriate LL 5W30 in there. M1 ESP or Castrol Edge Euro Car

I wouldn't run that whizz in a GLI engine. Power density is too high. 508/509 was too thin (insufficient HTHS) even for My 2019 1.4T.
Jetta 6M. I would consider running an appropriate LL 5W30 in there. M1 ESP or Castrol Edge Euro Car
Well, I’ll use what needs to be used to satisfy the warranty requirements. After that I may stray.

Thread summary so far :

1) Which VW508/509 0W-20 should I use in my engine
2) Use any with the correct approval
3) Use the best possible oil with the correct approval, (according to a mythical ranking list)
4) Why would want to run the manufacturer recommended oil in your engine anyway?

VW dealer will probably sell you the OE for about $7.50 QT/L it is more expensive to order online.

If it takes the same filter as a 1.4 - the OE filter is quite nice.

There are 2 valvolines on the official list, if the one you are speaking of is one of those two, it'll be fine...

There is a thread that is like 20 pages on 508 oil, including test results for some of the available oils.

In a test which is Pass/Fail there should be no doubt that some do better than others on some of the tests even though everyone passed.
The more important question is whether that difference can be realized during the ownership experience.

Just got a new gli. Requires 508/509 0w20. Vw genuine is Mobil I think. That and the Mobil x2 are similar in price. Valvoline equivalent is about 10-15 cheaper for a six quart box. 5k oci. Think the Mobil is worth the extra coin?
Longlife 4. If they're both approved then go for the Valvoline.

Well said DuckRyder.

Any thing that truly meets VW 508 is going to be good, just pick the one with the best price and convenience for you.
So KC, did I have a defective engine in my 2019 Jetta S that mechanically knocked on hot 508? How noisy is your Jetta engine when warm? Is it a MT? I will tell you my 1.4 it is dead silent when the sump is beefed up by improve sump HTHS and the engine power greatly improved at high RPM. Absolutely no question about this.

Well, I’ll use what needs to be used to satisfy the warranty requirements. After that I may stray.
If it's noisy don't wait, don't ruin a good engine. VW is wading into murky waters here especially on a super high power density engine.
My VW dealer put 5W40 in my car - which was incorrect on the "too thick" side. Just because they had a big bulk tank of Castrol to use up.
I made them dump that sump and I bought - a great expense - Motul 508/509. You should have seen the tech standing around like some street toughs giving me and the service writer grief. They refused to dump the incorrect 502 spec oil out. The service writer and I did the OC on the lift. VW dealer in NH seacost region. I though VW was beyond GM and Hyundai-like hijinks.

The Motul was too thin like the FF, even worse actually. It was burning off at a great rate. when it was down almost a litre, I topped of with Mobil 1 0W40 FS I bought for my stationary generator oil change(!) This brought everything into line and the engine ran great until I returned the lease. NO racket no knocking. - Ken

If it's noisy don't wait, don't ruin a good engine. VW is wading into murky waters here especially on a super high power density engine.
My VW dealer put 5W40 in my car - which was incorrect on the "too thick" side. Just because they had a big bulk tank of Castrol to use up.
I made them dump that sump and I bought - a great expense - Motul 508/509. You should have seen the tech standing around like some street toughs giving me and the service writer grief. They refused to dump the incorrect 502 spec oil out. The service writer and I did the OC on the lift. VW dealer in NH seacost region. I though VW was beyond GM and Hyundai-like hijinks.

The Motul was too thin like the FF, even worse actually. It was burning off at a great rate. when it was down almost a litre, I topped of with Mobil 1 0W40 FS I bought for my stationary generator oil change(!) This brought everything into line and the engine ran great until I returned the lease. NO racket no knocking. - Ken
What engine was in the Jetta bud?

Back