New VOA of Gibbs DT40

I have seen old reports, but they made some changes and have not seen any reports to reflect the increased Moly. This oil was developed in conjunction with a well known porsche engine rebuilder, and was tested and designed primarily for the porsche m9x engines. They have issues with ims bearings failing, bore scoring, and shearing oil quickly or so what I have heard. For an oil novice that has limited knowledge, but have been using it for the past year, what are your thoughts?? Im worried more about engine protection than price or longevity, since I drive our boxster convertible only a couple thousand miles per year.

Attachments

• FF579C46-60F5-4547-94FF-08B242C984B1.jpeg
    FF579C46-60F5-4547-94FF-08B242C984B1.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 304
What's on the outside of the car and what's actually in the engine are two different things. They'll gladly take sponsorship money from whoever supplies it, especially these when sponsors are hard to come by.

That TBN is low. It should be ~8.0.

Did JGR sell off Driven? I always assumed it was a solidly profitable offshoot of the racing biz. Now it appears it's part of the Comp Cams group down in Memphis.

Driven separated from JGR and became it's own company in 2013. They are housed near Comp Cams but are not affiliated with Comp.
I have yet to see a single picture showing their blending facility, let alone a video. My question is: are they any good?

I have yet to see a single picture showing their blending facility, let alone a video. My question is: are they any good?
They're heavily reliant on the additive company and likely SWRI/racing for data.

There was an article a few months back talking about how XOM found an ingredient in the cosmetic industry that ended up becoming the current gen Mobil 1 Triple Action (consumer version obviously). They also were using 25% bio sourced additives for their F1 blend and low ash chemistry. One of the things they mentioned in the article was how what separates a company like them from the smaller blenders is the amount of testing they can afford to do. Tons of data from testing.

They're heavily reliant on the additive company and likely SWRI/racing for data.

There was an article a few months back talking about how XOM found an ingredient in the cosmetic industry that ended up becoming the current gen Mobil 1 Triple Action (consumer version obviously). They also were using 25% bio sourced additives for their F1 blend and low ash chemistry. One of the things they mentioned in the article was how what separates a company like them from the smaller blenders is the amount of testing they can afford to do. Tons of data from testing.
Including at the racetrack …

There was an article a few months back talking about how XOM found an ingredient in the cosmetic industry that ended up becoming the current gen Mobil 1 Triple Action (consumer version obviously).
I remember this from two years ago, this XOM engineer talked about it:

Lubrizol seems to formulate all their oils. I wonder how much time they spend on R&D and testing though.

One of the things they mentioned in the article was how what separates a company like them from the smaller blenders is the amount of testing they can afford to do. Tons of data from testing.
Mobil will do what it takes to stay #1.

@cptbarkey what's so funny?

"We were trying to put together an oil that would just crush all of those tests and well exceed the limits for those, "Salvesen says. "Then we tested Supercar on the track with the race teams to make sure that it's going to hold up to track abuse with higher cylinder temperatures, with higher revs, with higher loading and just the extra abuse that you're going to see on the track. It passed in both cases.

"We don't just want to pass the test to get the checkmark, we do what's called ‘Proof of Performance,'" Salvesen says.

"I think that level of testing, that level of prove-out work is really what we can bring to the table versus most smaller brands."

"So, what you buy in the bottle today at your dealer or at the local store was probably tested on track three to five years ago. Certainly now what the race teams are testing is expected to be the next generation of Mobil 1."

It could be why the VOA's on current Mobil 1 oils look so weak. They're not but the chemistry just doesn't reflect that on a VOA.

Driven seems very good with some interesting niche oils. Very shear stable. RP and a few others showed some testing they did and numbers for shear stability were very good. I asked for the Noack of one of their oils I think the GDI 5w30 and it was 11%. No PDS either which is kind of strange.

@buster comparing Mobil 1 to boutique blenders is like comparing Apple to PC integrators. I know, they like to be called "Boutique PC Builders". Apple designs the SOC, the entire system, and manufactures it. PC integrators are at the mercy of component manufacturers and distributors. The builds are vastly oversized and inefficient, and very expensive. I would know, I was one of those PC integrators a long time ago. These days I rock mini PCs for personal use, and couldn't be happier.

I've always liked Mobil 1 as I think they stay on the cutting edge with their formulations. For reasons you mentioned. I'm using HPL now because I like how transparent they are, the customer service, made in US and they're really good being they are less restricted. But my go to off shelf brand has always been Mobil 1.

I've always liked Mobil 1 as I think they stay on the cutting edge with their formulations. For reasons you mentioned. I'm using HPL now because I like how transparent they are, the customer service, made in US and they're really good being they are less restricted. But my go to off shelf brand has always been Mobil 1.
I always chuckle when I see people at Walmart pondering what's the best oil for their vehicle. They go back and forth, then they leave with Castrol or Valvoline, while Mobil 1 is right there, most of the time on sale and cheaper than the other two. Castrol has some very good product here and there like their 0W-XX Euro lubes, Castrol EDGE EP, which is also an Euro lube masquerading as long drain interval oil, and a few others. Their black bottle energy conserving oils don't stand out though. Valvoline - IMHO an emotional choice.

Back