New vehicle, to Syn or Dino. That is the ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, been reading the boards for a while and must admit I'm addicted. My question is simple, the old saying that you shouldn't use synthetic oil (What's synthetic? Right!) to break in a new motor. Is this a wives tale or truth? I Know more and more vehicle coming from the factory are filled with a synthetic, yet even here on this forum people seem to think it's wrong. I want to know everyones opinion on this. Voice your opinion and most importantly why you think the way you do! Great forum, well advised readers, enjoy.
worshippy.gif

During breakin you should change the oil at a relatively short interval and not be running it too hard for too long so I see using synthetic then as simlpy a waste of money with zero return. It is not like dino oils are bad they just can not take as much abuse for as long a period as synthetics can, since during breakin you are easy on it and change it out so it can not hurt anything.

With my cars I wait untill the first service then change to syn. In my new Toyota Tacoma Im going to use amsoil 5w30 at 5,000 miles.

I also like to change the factory fill at half the recommended interval with another dino, and then go full synth at the first "scheduled" change. For my 03 Mitsu Outlander, I changed the dino factory fill at 3000 kms with Castrol GTX 5W30 and will go to either GC 0W30 or Mobil 1 5W30 at 6000 kms.

I also believe in using dino for the first few OCI's in a new engine for economic reasons. I'll do pretty short intervals to flush out the wear metals, so synthetic would be a waste of money imo.

The first fill of synthetic (Torco SR-1) is going into the wife's Xterra this weekend...
grin.gif

MR

"Myth #6"
"Engines have to be “broken in” before using synthetic oil.
I need to break in my engine with non-detergent oil.
If I use regular oil or synthetic oil in a new engine, my engine will take longer to break in."

"Fact"
"It was common years ago for engine manufacturers to recommend non-detergent oils for engine break-in. This was when the pistons used cast-iron “square-faced” rings and the rings needed to wear some to “seat” into the engine. With today’s technology of oils and engine manufacturing, engine manufacturers no longer recommend the use of non-detergent oils for the break-in period. In fact, engines today are factory-filled with high quality API SL performance motor oil, which contains high levels of detergents and dispersant additives."
http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

cool.gif
So far every vehicle I've bought new had dino factory fill oil. My system is to change the oil at half the recommended interval with dino (when the car comes with dino) then at the first regular interval with Mobil 1. I.E. my truck calls for oil changes every 5000, so I changed it with dino at 2500 miles and put Mobil 1 in at 5000.

OK, 6 replies so far, 5 say say they use dino oil to break in their new motors while 1, using a link, states older eng used cast iron square faced rings which needed to wear some to properly seal. Todays eng don't and using synthetic motor oil is OK. I agree with the latter! Lets hear to what you think on this subject. Is it true, using synthetic oil in a new eng, today is fine! Thanks for all the replies so far.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

"Can I break-in my engine on Red Line Oil?

We recommend using petroleum 10w30 motor oil on break in to ensure proper piston ring seating. If you allow 1500 to 2000 miles in a street engine or 20 to 30 minutes on the dyno at low rpm, the rings will have had sufficient time to seat and the high initial break-in wear will have occurred. "

http://www.redlineoil.com/tech_faq.asp

"Can I put Royal Purple® into my brand new car?

Yes. Royal Purple® currently offers many viscosity grades of API Licensed Motor Oils. (See the Royal Purple® Motor Oil Product Page or visit the API Engine Oil Licensing and Certification Website for more information). To allow for proper breakin of the engine, Royal Purple® recommends waiting until the manufacturer's first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before using Royal Purple® in diesel engines."

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/faqsa.html#mo3

theres lots of conflicting information on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back