New-Vehicle Inventory report

I called on a new 2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid advertised for $25,000 on auto-trader and the salesman said they could not sell it for that price. He said they have an added "MARKET ADJUSTMEMT" of $6,000 over MSRP and I could buy it for $31,000. I told him the dealership should change their add because it is predatory and deceiving.
You forgot to mention the part where you told them off.

My theory is that supply chain disruptions are more common in China than Mexico, making Ford, GM, and Stellantis vehicles less affected.
Except Ford/GM have little to no inventory at most dealers. The dealer where I purchased my truck has over 300 Ram's on the lot and the 1/2 tons are being discounted by 9-10K.

Are you sure that "economy cars" are even available to buy right now???

My impression is that people are buying more economical vehicles, both in price and fuel economy. That would partially explain the lower volumes on the lots.

What I have been seeing lately are lots of new Kia and Hyundai, Honda, Mazda and others. Far more than brand new F150s or Chevy pickups or Rams. A lot of the new cars are hybrids as well and Teslas are in the mix.

Of course this is my viewpoint and it’s regional as well. In the Midwest you may see differently for example.

If you look at past trends, when the price of fuel goes up, the sale of big vehicles goes down. Then a year or so later when fuel prices drop, everybody's buying those big Suv's and pickups. This has been the case since the '70's when we had the oil embargo. How many of you remember gas rationing, and odd and even days when you could buy gas ?. People that need big vehicles like business's, will bite the bullet and get the vehicles they need. Alot of people lower their standard's, and sink to the low level of buying a used vehicle. I've recently had to scrap my old Exployer due to trans issues. But I wasn't aware that vehicles in the 10-12 year old range, with close to 200k miles on them were selling for so much. Heck on second thought, I should have fixed the trans in my old truck.,,

So does this mean we can go back to negotiating below MSRP for some of these more available makes or are dealers still being greedy?

You forgot to mention the part where you told them off.
Ha! Well I understand the salesman most likely was not the "big boss" therefore I just told him that I wanted the car for around $25,000 cash for the corolla hybrid which is MSRP for the LE model. I didn't want to be a jerk about the phone call. He was just trying to make a living instead of holding an "anything helps" sign on a busy corner or intersection.

2 or 3 weeks ago a local dealer advertised that he had 25 Ford Broncos in stock, both hard and soft tops. That sounds like a lot.
What I found them doing was listing units that had not been delivered …
One dealer made that distinction - others did not …

When I bought the Integra a few weeks ago, the dealer had plenty of inventory and waived all their stupid add-on accessories. Got to the showroom and it was dead. Should have pushed for a discount off MSRP.

I ordered Toyota Sienna in August. Estimate, 6-8 months.
Talked to the dealership two weeks ago, new estimate: 12 months.

As for market adjustment, it is absolutely ridiculous and how lazy people are too. I cannot make up my mind whether to consider dealerships greedy SOB's, or people lazy.
Toyota dealerships in Colorado Springs charge $5,000 market adjustment. Toyota dealerships in Denver? No market adjustment. Denver is 45min from Colorado Springs! I asked the guy in the dealership here how it is possible that people actually pay $5,000 while 45min to the north, they don't have to. He said: man, people are dumb and lazy.
There you go.

I ordered Toyota Sienna in August. Estimate, 6-8 months.
Talked to the dealership two weeks ago, new estimate: 12 months.

As for market adjustment, it is absolutely ridiculous and how lazy people are too. I cannot make up my mind whether to consider dealerships greedy SOB's, or people lazy.
Toyota dealerships in Colorado Springs charge $5,000 market adjustment. Toyota dealerships in Denver? No market adjustment. Denver is 45min from Colorado Springs! I asked the guy in the dealership here how it is possible that people actually pay $5,000 while 45min to the north, they don't have to. He said: man, people are dumb and lazy.
There you go.

What might be funny is if both dealerships are under the same ownership. I have three Mazda dealerships within a thirty mile radius. All owned by the same person.

What might be funny is if both dealerships are under the same ownership. I have three Mazda dealerships within a thirty mile radius. All owned by the same person.
Yep. I called Corwin Toyota in Denver, and they do not charge market adjustment. Corwin Toyota Colorado Springs does.
But Denver has seven different Toyota dealerships, excluding Boulder and Fort Collins. So I think it is competition.
We have two. Different ones, but obviously less competition.

Back