New-Vehicle Inventory report

wemay

Site Donor 2023
WOLF STREET: New-Vehicle Inventory Improves, Still Woefully Low. But Full-size Trucks Pile up. Many Fuel-Efficient Models out of Stock.

Screenshot_20221024_064332.jpg

OK, good. I need another F150. It would be nice to get one to replace my aging 2009 4x4.
Our Ford dealership was always around 80/20 Super Duty vs F150 (farm/ranch & oilfield town) … Now, after a long spell of next to nothing for inventory - they have more F150’s than ever - but Super Duty is order and wait only … Still far from normal …

I was playing around with some numbers on a used 2020 Forte GT 6MT.... Even with 30 some K miles and a couple years old.... dealer wanted over MSRP of it when new.... for a 2 year old 30K mile vehicle... asking 24K, not including fees taxes and everything else... almost 30K for a used forte even if in GT manual flavor... And yeah its on the lot, but you'll be paying dearly for it...

A new forte? :LOL: GL.

I can vouch for the graph. I was shopping for a Corolla and a Forte a couple of months ago. Hopeless.
Indeed. The graph matches what my eyes see driving past the local dealerships. Lots of inventory at the Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealership but next to nothing at the Toyota dealership.

Another possible effect on these numbers is financing. Money now costs more and many of the previous borrowers are in the sub-prime category and cannot qualify for extended terms at the new interest rate levels. Add to that fact that repossessions are at all time highs.

I will assume that includes in transit vehicles that are mostly sold.
And the mix of vehicles available at the dealer is still not likely to include what you want, unless you want a loaded truck or SUV.

Two guys at work just bought new Ram 1500s. Apparently they aren’t hard to find and it sounds like they got deals on them.

One local dealer that carries both Rams and Chevy's has a bunch or Rams on the lot. Chevy's not so much...

And the number of F150's I see on lots is higher than its been - but that isn't saying much. The dealer I bought my F150 back in normal times had around 120 F150's on the lot. They have 30 today. That's better than the 5-10 they've had for the last year plus...

I called on a new 2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid advertised for $25,000 on auto-trader and the salesman said they could not sell it for that price. He said they have an added "MARKET ADJUSTMEMT" of $6,000 over MSRP and I could buy it for $31,000. I told him the dealership should change their add because it is predatory and deceiving. He said well there are so many different variables such as trade-in, financing, and down payments and other added BS. I told him I just wanted to pay cash. He said well then it will be $31,000 or more. The car was advertised in Minnesota and they would have to charge more for an out of state buyer. It's a crazy car market out there folks.

Another possible effect on these numbers is financing. Money now costs more and many of the previous borrowers are in the sub-prime category and cannot qualify for extended terms at the new interest rate levels. Add to that fact that repossessions are at all time highs.
Yup - Only reason we drove off the lot with the Tahoe was it was somebody’s order that crashed at finance stage …

Indeed. The graph matches what my eyes see driving past the local dealerships. Lots of inventory at the Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealership but next to nothing at the Toyota dealership.
Same here. The two dealerships are less than half a mile away from each other and the Stellantis dealership appears normally stocked (especially RAM) versus the Toyota dealership that looks like a used car lot.

2 or 3 weeks ago a local dealer advertised that he had 25 Ford Broncos in stock, both hard and soft tops. That sounds like a lot.

How exactly is Stellantis able to keep up with production when everyone else is struggling?

I have seen commercials on RAM pickups-like $4,000.00 in discounts plus low APR financing. I have not seen wide spread discounts on Ford, GM, or Toyota trucks. Inventory is still almost nonexistent. With the multi round of price increases in the last couple years there would have to be $15,000.00 plus in discounts to get prices any where close to where they were pre -pandemic.

Over at TFL truck (.com) they had the Ford build website up and Ford has yet again raised prices on the pickups-about 10%.

Back