New Vehicle....Break-in Oil?

LAST UPDATE TO THE QUESTION!!

I enjoy working on my cars and don't mind wasting a couple bucks if some good may come of it. What do you guys think of "Break-In Additives"? Red-line makes an additive that is safe to add to any oil at any time. Using half the bottle it essentially boosts the Phosphorus by 763ppm and the Zinc by 920ppm.
https://www.redlineoil.com/engine-oil-break-in-additive

I wonder if draining the OEM oil and replacing the filter ASAP to get rid of any metal shavings and then adding good oil and the Redline break-in additive would be beneficial in the long run.

Like I've mentioned I typically try to get 300k miles out of my vehicles. Anything I can do from day 1 to help that is not wasteful IMO, especially because I have fun doing it.! Thanks everyone!
Not sure shavings is ideal - that’s like swarf in the EU … you have whatever gets past the oil filter …

Since the engine comes with a good oil filter, I usually do my first oil change at 1/2 or ~ 3,000 miles if I am going to use 7,500 as my base oil change interval. I believe that changing very early like 1 or 2,000 dump any additives or special lubes that the manufacture uses that are beneficial for break-in. Ed

C’mon man … you just gotta crawl under and see the best side of the vehicle all new and shiny … 😷

LAST UPDATE TO THE QUESTION!!

I enjoy working on my cars and don't mind wasting a couple bucks if some good may come of it. What do you guys think of "Break-In Additives"? Red-line makes an additive that is safe to add to any oil at any time. Using half the bottle it essentially boosts the Phosphorus by 763ppm and the Zinc by 920ppm.
https://www.redlineoil.com/engine-oil-break-in-additive

Like I've mentioned I typically try to get 300k miles out of my vehicles. Anything I can do from day 1 to help that is not wasteful IMO, especially because I have fun doing it.! Thanks everyone!
I have driven many vehicles to over 300k and one currently is at 460k. I have never used any additives, either break-in or otherwise. This even applies to my old "sludge monster" 1MZ-FE. So my conclusion is that longevity is not based on additional phosphorus or zinc beyond that which is included in an already formulated oil with a decent manufacturer approval.

First OCI in the New Mazda was close to 5K miles and that's where I plan to keep it. I'm going to adjust on my next OCI and then I'm going back to my old April/October schedule. Keep me out of the rain and the snow and its easy to remember. Oh and its still way cheaper than the folks at the Oil Store on sale or with a coupon!

Last edited:
This picture is not my first oil change (even though mine looked similar after 50 miles) but from the COG forum I frequent. The discoloration is primarily due to the wet clutch on a Kaw Concours 1400 motorcycle but is the reason I will always do a very early oil change on any new vehicle I purchase. Oil is cheap and engines are not.

index.php

This picture is not my first oil change (even though mine looked similar after 50 miles) but from the COG forum I frequent. The discoloration is primarily due to the wet clutch on a Kaw Concours 1400 motorcycle but is the reason I will always do a very early oil change on any new vehicle I purchase. Oil is cheap and engines are not.

index.php
What automobile engine oil would look like that?

I replaced my camry’s TGMO when car had 1000 miles with mobil1. Will there be issues now 😳

Back