New Vehicle....Break-in Oil?

Buying a new GM truck in the next few months and this will be my first vehicle purchased while new. I don't mind over-doing things but had a question regarding the engine oil. The manual states to perform the first oil change at 7,500 miles. I'm wondering if changing it much sooner, say at 1,000 miles and using a high ZDDP break-in oil would be beneficial? If I did do this would it be detrimental or just a waste of money?

Thanks!

No need for break-in oil. On oem engine assembly lines a robotic arm will normally dispense a small amount of regular oil on the journals, nothing special. It is definitely a good idea to give an initial oil change at about 1k miles or so, the amount of break-in shavings can be significant, to the point where you will easily see them reflect in the drain bucket under sunlight.

Break in oil? . What does the manufacture use? Higher Zinc will not do anything. Look up the posted uoas for new vehicles , there is nothing special in the factory other than higher wear metals. If you turn over the vehicles often don't waste the money on early oil changes, if you keep the vehicles for a long time or put lots and lots of miles on the vehicle the worst thing an early engine oil , trans oil and differential is cost extra money and the best thing an early change may do is give better engine and drive train life when up in the higher miles.

Last edited:
Break in oil is a silly idea. What does the manufacture use? look at the posted uoas there is nothing special other than higher wear metals.
Some have high molly. Break in or not, but there is nothing wrong with doing full OCI on initial fill. Metal shavings (if any) will be picked up by filter.

@wpod The reason for my question is that I plan to have this vehicle for quite a while. I drive alot, 25k-ish miles per year and I hope to have this vehicle well over 200k miles, preferably 300k if it isn't falling apart by then.

I do plan to change the fluids much more often than necessary, especially when it is new to get rid of as many wear particles as possible. I also plan to install an engine oil bypass filter (Amsoil) and a transmission one as well. Overkill? Maybe. But at worst it is a waste of money, at best it will improve longevity and last as long as I need it.

With the bypass filter on there I'll probably go for a UOA at some regular interval to determine the oil's performance and life expectancy. I'm planning to go with Amsoil or Redline 5W-30 (Dexos) and am comfortable with 10k mile oil change intervals.

@wpod The reason for my question is that I plan to have this vehicle for quite a while. I drive alot, 25k-ish miles per year and I hope to have this vehicle well over 200k miles, preferably 300k if it isn't falling apart by then.

I do plan to change the fluids much more often than necessary, especially when it is new to get rid of as many wear particles as possible. I also plan to install an engine oil bypass filter (Amsoil) and a transmission one as well. Overkill? Maybe. But at worst it is a waste of money, at best it will improve longevity and last as long as I need it.

With the bypass filter on there I'll probably go for a UOA at some regular interval to determine the oil's performance and life expectancy. I'm planning to go with Amsoil or Redline 5W-30 (Dexos) and am comfortable with 10k mile oil change intervals.
What you plan to do is spend a lot of unnecessary money . But , whatever helps you sleep at night .

I always perform the first oil change right around 1k miles. Next at 5k, then every 5k after that. Probably doesn’t make much difference, but makes me feel better. Just use a dexos 1 gen 3 oil and you will be good to go. I since all of these gen 5 engines are direct injected, I wouldn’t run extended intervals if it were me. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

The reason for my question is that I plan to have this vehicle for quite a while. I drive alot, 25k-ish miles per year and I hope to have this vehicle well over 200k miles, preferably 300k if it isn't falling apart by then.
Thought exercise: assume you were to purchase this vehicle used three years from now. It is in great condition with 30,000 miles on it. And it has received an oil change every 5000 miles with a quality oil. However, it did not get that early “break oil change.” You still have the same intentions of driving it for a long time. Would you still purchase it? If so, then don’t worry about it. If not, then I guess change it.

I personally don't think it really matters. I still own a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 truck with the 5.7L that I bought new. I changed the oil the first time at about 1,500 miles and then every 3,000 miles after that. I have always used name brand oils. The truck runs great but has always used a little bit of oil between changes since new and has the classic piston slap when cold that a lot of these engines get over time. The truck currently has almost 143,000 miles on it.

My 2014 Mustang GT I also bought new and did the first oil change at one year and about 4,400 miles. In the beginning I was going by the OLM or one year. The highest mileage during a year was about 7,200 miles. I now change it every 5,000 miles with 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and is the oil that I have used its entire life. Car has around 35,000 miles and runs great with no oil usage.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. Years ago, I used to obsess about what oil I used and how often I changed it but then realized that it's highly doubtful that I'm ever going to wear an engine out and that something else going wrong will probably sideline the vehicle for good.

On my Toyota I dumped the factory oil at 400 miles. BUT you have to remember that it had 0W-16 in it. That crap couldn't come out fast enough! My other new vehicles went longer, but not by much.... The only time I "turn over" vehicles, is when I start them.

change it every 5k with basically any name brand that meets specs and sleep easy.
But that is tooooo easy... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ... I have been doing it this way for the last 20 years.... I use the KISS method....Keep It Simple Stupid.....and I DO sleep easy....and get on with life...

Back