Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentleman: I am picking up a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 Double cab long bed
on tuesday. The truck was driven in from PA because Tacoma's are
hard to come by in Ohio. My plan is to change Oil At 1000 miles
with Pennzoil YB and again at 3000 Miles and at that time
go to Platinum. Does Toyota use any special break in oils or
additives. I know Mobil 1 is very poular with Tacoma Owners
but I really like using Platinum as I do in my other vehicles.
Let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

Sounds like you have a good plan, and PP will work well in that engine. Just be sensible about OCIs and you'll be fine.

I don't think any manufacturer is putting break in oil into their rigs, but I could be wrong. I know that Honda says they do, but they also say to change the filter every other oil change, so....
21.gif

I switched to PP on the first oil change at 3k on my previously owned Tundra. I didn't have any problem what so ever. I think you are overly cautious.

Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
Gentleman: I am picking up a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 Double cab long bed
on tuesday. The truck was driven in from PA because Tacoma's are
hard to come by in Ohio. My plan is to change Oil At 1000 miles
with Pennzoil YB and again at 3000 Miles and at that time
go to Platinum. Does Toyota use any special break in oils or
additives. I know Mobil 1 is very poular with Tacoma Owners
but I really like using Platinum as I do in my other vehicles.
Let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

M1 is popular because it's avalible just about everywhere. It is no better or worse than any other oil. At the intervals you're talking about running you could run Crisco in your Double cab and it would last longer than you want it to. High-end oils like Schaeffer,Amsoil,Redline,Royal Purple,Lubricant Engineer's, are all capable of running 10-13K intervals with no problems in these engines.I know because I have customers that have been doing it for several years and the analysis backs it up. Even oils that are not designed to run really long intervals like PP,Valvoline Synthetic,Havoline Synthetic will run 6-7K intervals with excellent UOAs and cleanliness. I sold my 99 Tacoma 3.4(which was supercharged) at 170,000mi. on it. It never used a drop between 6K changes running plain old Havoline Synthetic I got for $2 a qt. at a chain-wide clearance at Big Lots. A friend still runs the stuffing out of that thing now with well over 245,000 on the clock.
My guess is you have the 4.0L V-6 version of the truck. Intervals have been somewhat lower with this engine as compared to the older 3.4L in the comparisons I have seen in my shop.It's been a super-tough engine and I don't have enough customers with both engines to make an accurate comparison. Maybe the 4.0 guys run them harder? Anyway,One customer of mine is running his out to 12K between intervals on 9000 Schaeffer. It's about as far as he can go according to the analysis. He so tight you can be sure it's got 12K on the clock when he comes in to my shop for service. I have not met a chicken farmer yet that was not so tight that you could hear them squeek when they walked.
Over-the-counter oil would be Penn.Platinum I suppose. Havloine Synthetic is good if you can find it. So is Valvoline Synthetic.So is Mobil 1. Heck, they're all good if you will change it around every 6000 miles.

My experience with new engines indicates they tend to consume oil until broken in. My last one took over 5k miles, so I left in conventional in my changes until the 8k point.
I suspect you will be able to switch at the 3k mile point, but I'd monitor consumption carefully just prior to reaching it. If you have stopped consuming, do the switch to PP. If not, one more change with YB won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back