New Vehcile: burning oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally broke 20K on my 2008 Malibu 2.4 Ecotec. I've noticed that it steadily consumes around 1/8-1/4 quart per 1000 miles since day 1. Not alarming, but is it normal for a vehicle to cosume oil straight off the showroom floor? Mixed diet of synthetic/dino every 3-7k up until now. Just wanted somebody elses opinion. Thanks.

why do you think its burning? are you measuring the oil at drain or looking at the dipstick. I had a honda that would read a half quart low on the dip stick unless you let it sit for a really long time like a few days then it would say full.

What was your break in procedure like? a) easy does it, b) middle of the road, c) drive it like you stole it, d) other

1/8 to 1/4 of a qt per 1000 miles does not sound like much oil consumption to me

What have you heard for an average oil consumption number for this motor?

Last edited:
That would mean that you're not adding any oil over 7k ..not much to talk about ..but it would give you a feeling of "unright". You indicate a flat consumption rate that doesn't appear to alter with advancing mileage. This tends to eliminate the oil selection as a cause and points to a static/set/fixed mechanical/physical cause. I'm not familiar with the engine, so I don't know if this is normal. I'd check the PCV system for some defect since this is the most easily remedied if the issue is there.

We also don't know if 90% of your driving is @ 85mph+ with frequent bouts @ WOT.

I have a 2008 Aura with the 2.4 Ecotec, at 16k miles it hasn't used any oil. I have been driving it rather gently since new, and have been using 5w-30 Valvoline Conventional. I have been sticking to a 5k oci after the first 2.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That would mean that you're not adding any oil over 7k ..not much to talk about ..but it would give you a feeling of "unright". You indicate a flat consumption rate that doesn't appear to alter with advancing mileage. This tends to eliminate the oil selection as a cause and points to a static/set/fixed mechanical/physical cause. I'm not familiar with the engine, so I don't know if this is normal. I'd check the PCV system for some defect since this is the most easily remedied if the issue is there.

We also don't know if 90% of your driving is @ 85mph+ with frequent bouts @ WOT.

Driving style is docile. I don't beat on it, and ususally never drive more than 5 over. Consumption is static regardless of highway vs city, hot vs cold, etc. PCV is integrated in the manifold, so its not servicable. Had the dealer notate that consumption was occuring, but they were not concerned at the minimal rates. 1 quart per 2k is thier limit. I'm perplexed...

Originally Posted By: zulu
Finally broke 20K on my 2008 Malibu 2.4 Ecotec. I've noticed that it steadily consumes around 1/8-1/4 quart per 1000 miles since day 1. Not alarming, but is it normal for a vehicle to cosume oil straight off the showroom floor? Mixed diet of synthetic/dino every 3-7k up until now. Just wanted somebody elses opinion. Thanks.
Not a problem IMO.

Even if it was a qt per 4000 miles that is ok.

That is pretty light oil consumption.
But maybe you could [safely] use a lot of full throttle for the next month. After the initial mayhem with MPG and possible increase in oil use, it will settle down and you can see where you are at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back