New Valvoline Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking up some information this morning and I saw Valvoline has updated their website. Normally I wouldn't bother mentioning something like a website update, but I noticed a few things.

The PDS are all old, I assume they're addressing that but all the ones I looked at were from 2006 or 2007, and I know the ones I had looked at for the same products prior to the website update were all 2008 or 2009. Also, the site is running really slow right now, so perhaps some updates are still being made, I don't know.

But check out the FAQ section for different products, they're now publicly stating a lot of information that they previously weren't. Here are a couple of examples:

*What is the percentage of synthetic versus conventional motor oil in DuraBlend? 30% synthetic vs. 70% conventional.

*What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower? Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

These are some questions that we've been trying to figure out but most oil makers have been vague about answering. I hope other companies start coming forward with this information as well

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

They also mention that syn oils are not designed for extended OCIs
21.gif

I noticed it too. Running a little slow.

**That link says their syn oils are 100% anti-sludge guaranteed.
I feel another war of words coming on.......
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower?

Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

They did a nice job. Looks good.

Quote:
How does SynPower compare to Mobil1 and Amsoil?

Valvoline's SynPower motor oils meet and exceed the same specifications as these two products.

SynPower motor oils are high performing, high-quality oils formulated with full synthetic base oils and top tier additives to provide an increased level of performance. All of Valvoline's SynPower motor oils are API licensed to ensure quality for North American vehicle application. We have specially designed SynPower 5w40 for application in high performance European or diesel passenger cars and this oil carries the specific OEM approvals such as Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW. Our North American SynPower 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 exceed ILSAC GF-4 requirements and carry the API starburst on the front label. SynPower is designed with extra levels of detergent and antioxidant to provide outstanding deposit and heat protection.

Maybe the have been reading BITOG and have seen that XOM is a sponsor?

Why else would they post this kind of information about base-stocks. Your average Joe consumer doesn't have a clue what that is or why it might be important...

Sounds like an all out war between these companies...

35.gif

Originally Posted By: sicko
What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower? Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

The problem is that almost all Group III synthetic have small amounts of Group IV base stock (less than 2 percent) as part of their additive package. So that doesn't tell you much.

Some other oils have substantial amounts of Group IV base stocks (30-70%) with some Group III base stock also. This can be seen in Japanese MSDS where they must disclose the percentage of Group III base stock (categorized as mineral oil).

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Maybe the have been reading BITOG and have seen that XOM is a sponsor?

Why else would they post this kind of information about base-stocks. Your average Joe consumer doesn't have a clue what that is or why it might be important...

Sounds like an all out war between these companies...

35.gif

The M1 FAQ has contained a question about PAO for a long time. M1 has claimed that their oil does contain PAO, although they have never disclosed how much.

It is easy for Valvoline to jump on the PAO bandwagon (without specifying a percentage) since many synthetic additive packages contain some PAO. However, I don't claim to know how much PAO SynPower actually has. A very good quality synthetic can be produced with a Group III base stock and small amounts of PAO.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
The problem is that almost all Group III synthetic have small amounts of Group IV base stock (less than 2 percent) as part of their additive package. So that doesn't tell you much.

Where did you hear that? PAO is least able to solubize additives out of all the fluids commonly used in motor oils.

Originally Posted By: sicko
What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower? Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

The problem is that almost all Group III synthetic have small amounts of Group IV base stock (less than 2 percent) as part of their additive package.

No, they don't. If the additive package uses esters as the carrier, you could say that it has some Group V, but no additive package is going to use PAO (Group IV) as the carrier oil.

The M1 FAQ has contained a question about PAO for a long time. M1 has claimed that their oil does contain PAO, although they have never disclosed how much.

It is easy for Valvoline to jump on the PAO bandwagon (without specifying a percentage) since many synthetic additive packages contain some PAO. However, I don't claim to know how much PAO SynPower actually has. A very good quality synthetic can be produced with a Group III base stock and small amounts of PAO.

I know that... and wasn't saying that Valvoline was the first/only one to do so... It just seems in recent months all the oil companies have commercials, new products, new websites etc. all trying to "Out-do" each other where as it has been relatively quiet for some time before that.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Where did you hear that? PAO is least able to solubize additives out of all the fluids commonly used in motor oils.

I am using the term "additive package" to mean that it is added by the blender to the base oil, not that the PAO is necessarily in the same exact mixture as the other additives.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
No, they don't. If the additive package uses esters as the carrier, you could say that it has some Group V, but no additive package is going to use PAO (Group IV) as the carrier oil.

What I should have said is that many Group III synthetics have small amounts of PAO added to them. They are not necessarily in the same mixture as other additives or "additive packages."

Thank you for pointing that out.

Mark, ok, I got it. Maybe it would avoid confusion to say that PAO can be added as an additive (implying small percentage used to impart improved properties), rather than saying it's part of the additive package. I know it's semantics but it may help.

Originally Posted By: peterdes
Site is down.

I don't think it is completely down, just running very slow. Probably just sludged up.

But.. But!!! "Valvoline says their syntheytic oils are 100% anti-sludge guaranteed."

stolen from 3rd post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked to see if the site was faster (it was running very slowly this morning), and it's still running slow. However, if you really need something off it like a PDS or something, I discovered you can go to classic.valvoline.com and it'll load their previous website which runs fine with no delays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back