New Valvoline MaxLife Plus for cars with 150,000+ Miles

Strange that this oil has ~90 ppm less zddp than the regular Valvoline FS HM oil.

150K = 850 ppm zddp
75K blend = 850 ppm zddp
75K Full Syn = 940 ppm zddp

Is there something inherent in the FS formula that requires a higher amount of zinc?

Also, the 150K is going for $30/5qt, which is a bit steep for a semi syn oil. I would think they need to have a FS version, or get that price down to $20 or less for 5qt to sell. But, then again, the 150K oil is back ordered for several months on Amazon. So either no supply, or people are scooping them up quick.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for 'Maxlife for Leased Vehicles'

Could use a "Maxlife for not so quite old 30k-50k mile engines"

And, to hell with mileage.... I want "Maxlife for 5 year old vehicles" or "Maxlife for 10 year old vehicles" regardless of the mileage

So, Maxlife for 150k+ vehicles..... what percentage of vehicles on the road have 150k+ miles?

Strange that this oil has ~90 ppm less zddp than the regular Valvoline FS HM oil.

150K = 850 ppm zddp
75K blend = 850 ppm zddp
75K Full Syn = 940 ppm zddp

Is there something inherent in the FS formula that requires a higher amount of zinc?

Also, the 150K is going for $30/5qt, which is a bit steep for a semi syn oil. I would think they need to have a FS version, or get that price down to $20 or less for 5qt to sell. But, then again, the 150K oil is back ordered for several months on Amazon. So either no supply, or people are scooping them up quick.
At meijer it was 19.97 for the new, while the red bottle was 17.97.
Atleast with less zinc the new black bottle apparently has moly in it.

Why is there no “High Mileage” motorcycle Oil?
I had three BMW bikes over 100,000 miles and all running well when i sold them to the second owners...
but now that I think about it? I never put a “motorcycle oil” in any of them.

I dunno, I don't wish to blow $30 for a VOA, but Red bottle MaxLife doesn't have moly in it while this new stuff touts "Maxlife Plus Technology with Moly Additive Protection "

It doesn't ? Which version of Valvoline Maxlife it this UOA ?

That's full synthetic.
I can't find a super recent analysis for the Red Bottle Syn Blend.
But this VOA from 2017 for the 10W40 red bottle indicates no moly.

That's full synthetic.
Yeah, I couldn't find a recent Red Bottle Syn Blend VOA or UOA. You know Valvoline changed their formulations not too long ago ... their Advanced FS (formally SynPower) didn't have any moly until a few year ago, so hard to say what the red bottle Maxlife is right now.

If a vehicle has 150k miles on it, it looks good, and the car is still running well, then whatever the owner was doing worked. Marketing at its best. This "I gotta outdo the next guy" :poop: is getting ridiculous. What's next? 200k mile engine? 300k mile engine?
we call that 20w50

I like the idea, kind of back to what HM oil originally was, a bit thicker with more additives perhaps.

But honestly if the crowd buying at Wally's with 150k plus cars is what they are depending on they are going to be disappointed, that's the SuperTech crowd.

Still trying to figure out who decided that 75k was "high mileage". 150k makes a little more sense.
At 75k it's a preventative, at 150k probably a fix. I personally think there is something more than marketing going on with HM oils. Don't you think maybe all the testing they do on engines and oil may of led them to think at 75k an engine could use some extra help.

That's full synthetic.
Yeah, I couldn't find a recent Red Bottle Syn Blend VOA or UOA. You know Valvoline changed their formulations not too long ago ... their Advanced FS (formally SynPower) didn't have any moly until a few year ago, so hard to say what the red bottle Maxlife is right now.
I dunno, I don't wish to blow $30 for a VOA, but Red bottle MaxLife doesn't have moly in it while this new stuff touts "Maxlife Plus Technology with Moly Additiv "
Literally 10 seconds of effort on the PQIA website reveals this:

GF-6/SP Valvoline Maxlife syn-blend does include moly.

I don't spend all day on PQIA's website like some people...
I searched google and the only PQIA results where a bottle of 5w-30 Maxlife from 2019 which was the same as the VOA I linked above....

Back