New Valvoline MaxLife ATF- Mercon LV vs. Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RF Overlord
To add fuel to this fire, Valvoline does not sell a "Mercon V" specific product. Their product is called "ATF for Mercon V Applications" and the web site even states that it is neither licensed nor approved by Ford. I'll continue to use Motorcraft, Castrol, or SuperTech, all of which ARE licensed and approved by Ford.

I just performed the 3X drain & fill procedure with Valvoline MaxLife ATF on a Ford 6F35 transmission. I'll let you know if it blows up.

Next up will be a fluid exchange on a Ford 4R75E transmission.

Funny thing about those Ford transmissions is that members on Ford vehicle forums all swear that you can only use MotorCraft fluid. Same members who also have problems with their Ford transmissions.

Over the years, I've used a lot of different brands of automotive fluid. If the transmission fluid is really that bad, the transmission should start to fail immediately, as you're adding the fluid. All transmissions experience wear. I don't think any brand of fluid accelerates the wear. Most transmission failures would have happened no matter which fluid you used. Look at all of those vehicles which were only dealer serviced, and everything was done by the book. They have transmission failures also.

Saddest part is, when your transmission lasts 240,000 miles, the non-OEM ATF you use won't get any credit but if it dies after 12 years, the ATF you used will be to blame.

Yet, as you mention, someone only uses OEM fluid and their transmission dies at 60k miles, it's not the fluid's fault !

A buddy of mine caught his wife cheating. She turned the argument around on him. It was all his fault that she had to cheat. If he paid more attention to her, instead of working so much overtime to pay for everything that she wants, she would not have had to sleep with all of those other men........just a few of them, the ones she really likes!

That's sort of like blaming the fluid for failure, but not giving the credit when the transmission doesn't fail.

Confusion to our enemies!

I have around 270k miles on my 1987 gm th2004r transmission (from my 87 Cutlass swapped into my 84 12 years ago). Up to 130k miles unknown fluid but it looked brand new so I assume he just changed it. Lockup solenoid died on me which is probably what he was trying to fix. Since then I've used dexron 3, mercon 5, dexron 6, Pennzoil multi vehicle ATF, and others I likely don't remember. None caused a failure so far.

I have been using Maxlife for the gf's Corolla for the last 20k and it seems to be doing great. Much smoother than before. I just did a tranny drain and fill on her aunt's 2008 Odyssey. Funny thing is, there is a huge debate on a lot of Honda forum about DW1 vs Z1. The bottle itself only lists Z1 as being "recommended", however, Valvoline's site shows it being compatible with both. For me, it was a no brainer, I used Maxlife.

[Linked Image]

I bought 2 5L jugs of the new maxlife for my Oldsmobile today at Walmart. It seemed to be the best deal. I could have paid less for super tech multi vehicle fluid but I felt better with the max life especially with so many miles on my transmission.

I couldn't get a filter and gasket set because of the long weekend so it will be put off for another week at least. I'll be paying close attention to the shift quality before and after. Hoping it does not become "smoother". More crisp or firm shifts would be ideal but I will settle for no change at all since it shifts good as it is.

To add fuel to this fire, Valvoline does not sell a "Mercon V" specific product. Their product is called "ATF for Mercon V Applications" and the web site even states that it is neither licensed nor approved by Ford. I'll continue to use Motorcraft, Castrol, or SuperTech, all of which ARE licensed and approved by Ford.

So many opinions from people who are not actually using this product on a Ford, with Mercon or Mercon V specifications. Using this on any other vehicle, with different specification, is not relevant to the product being used for Mercon and Mercon V.

Thank you RF Overlord for your insight.

As for myself, and my specific vehicle, I agree. Mercon V is readily available from different sellers. And pricing is still affordable. 3 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife + tax @ Walmart is about $60. $60 for 12 quarts. Mercon V can be purchased for about the same price. No reason to use a multi-vehicle ATF which does not meet spec.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

So many opinions from people who are not actually using this product on a Ford, with Mercon or Mercon V specifications. Using this on any other vehicle, with different specification, is not relevant to the product being used for Mercon and Mercon V.

Thank you RF Overlord for your insight.

As for myself, and my specific vehicle, I agree. Mercon V is readily available from different sellers. And pricing is still affordable. 3 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife + tax @ Walmart is about $60. $60 for 12 quarts. Mercon V can be purchased for about the same price. No reason to use a multi-vehicle ATF which does not meet spec.

There is no reason to use a old formulation when a new one protects just as well, is stable longer, and is serviceable longer.

For what it's worth, I plan on using Maxlife on my 08 F150 with the 4r75e (Mercon V) beginning this next drain and fill. Much easier to keep one fluid on hand for the Corolla, F150, and now the aunt's Odyssey.

You could also switch to 1 brand of motor oil for the F-150, Odyssey, & Corolla. That's my strategy for motor oil in my cars. When there's a good deal, whatever it is is going into all of them. I'm not buying and storing different oil on different cars.

Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Much easier to keep one fluid on hand .

Why keep any on hand? I learned from having to dispose of Hazmat, that I didn't need to stock any of those fluids. I stocked up, thinking that I would need it. Then I don't own the car anymore. Then the containers are corroded and leaking. Now, I just buy as needed.

Last edited:
You get better prices when you buy in bulk, sometimes there's a sale so you buy a lot. The stuff isn't perishable and in my case it always gets used up, either I use it or friends and family.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Much easier to keep one fluid on hand .

Why keep any on hand? I learned from having to dispose of Hazmat, that I didn't need to stock any of those fluids. I stocked up, thinking that I would need it. Then I don't own the car anymore. Then the containers are corroded and leaking. Now, I just buy as needed.

I get a jug on sale or clearance...save some $$$. You probably wouldn't like the fact that I have about 50 qts of motor oil stored either lol.

PS...I have 5 (well maybe 6 if the Odyssey starts getting routine maintenance from me) vehicles to maintain...

Last edited:
I have 5 (well maybe 6 if the Odyssey starts getting routine maintenance from me) vehicles to maintain...

If you could only time it so that you can do all of them at once. And if you could use the same oil in all them.

Personally I like the variety of deciding and choosing what oil I believe would be best suited in each of my vehicles or lawn mower etc.

I don't have enough spare cash at this point to buy a "stash" but a good sale sometimes means I buy one particular oil on sale but in a couple different grades (for different applications).

Unfortunately I never see sales around here on transmission fluid. I am changing mine today and I bought maxlife dex because it was the best price I could find on a non entry level fluid (except for super tech). But if this was for a newer vehicle I'd probably pick something that actually met the spec like dexron 6 or mercon 5, etc. Since it's going in a 34 year old transmission with 270k miles I figured it should be suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back