New Valvoline filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter came from a quick lube place that features Valvoline as their main product. I've been taking in my own filter for quite a while and just lately started taking in my own oil. The last change I did on my Buick I had them give me what they would of normally used so I could cut it open and post my findings. This is my first time cutting a filter open so go easy on me.

First thing I noticed was the weight compared to the Napa 1040 or Carquest 85040 I usually take in.
nfWa2MRl.jpg

When I first got it a part I was impressed at the pleat spacing....
JnpOdPKl.jpg

...until I turned it and seen this, from viewing other posts the seam and spacing around it don't look the best.
vEs2MDbl.jpg

Is this plastic grate tube what makes this an e-core?
z7X3TTNl.jpg

C3240NYl.jpg

C3dHToNl.jpg

If you had to choose between a Napa or Carquest blue for this application what would be your choice and why? Or once O'Reilly's opens up I'll have access to a Wix.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr

Is this plastic grate tube what makes this an e-core?

Yes and you should steer clear of this filter if media blow outs is a concern for you.

I wouldn't run one on my lawnmower.

Aside from the phat finger pleat part(Did he forget to tell his he doesnt have the tool his boss vave him anymore.this look like the new e-Core.i wonder if they re avail ony for gm. Love these new e core

Ecore for older GM models, so no combo valve use at least, a plus imo. Kinda agree with bullwinkle above. That said, likely ok for a 3-5k oci/fci for which they are intended. Just not my favorite design.

And yes, same now as WM TLE Fram Core and Firestone Lube.

Thanks for pics.

not avail from valvoline. Store to store only it look like. you wont get issue with these new e-Core. You ll likely never get another one badly crimped like this

looks like the filters i got from rockauto for my focus yesterday. i dont think it should be a problem on most applications

Napa Gold and CQ Blue are both good filters. Plus, with Carquest, you can use AAP's discounts, and the CQ Blue is a reboxed M1.

But since you already have Napa, you already have access to Wix
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back