New: Valvoline Extended Protection ATF

Its amazes me that Maxlife and new extended protection can be use with Toyota Type IV and Toyota WS as they are both different spec oils out of range between each other.

Its amazes me that Maxlife and new extended protection can be use with Toyota Type IV and Toyota WS as they are both different spec oils out of range between each other.
You should read the articles about atfs. Just like Dex vi can be used in dex III and so on

Not my area of expertise - but the old maxlife was supposedly a good replacement for Nissan Matic D, J and S. S came out in like 2010 and was a lower viscosity fluid - supposedly backwards compatible with J.

The new fluid says its OK for Matic S and W. I don't know what W is for, but I am assuming since it no longer says D or J, its a lower viscosity fluid than the old Maxlife? Just guessing.

I know a lot of people in the Nissan world like Maxlife, and a lot said it made their transmission shift not as quickly and didn't like it.
See a similar discussion here:

I'll use this in mine if I do it myself.

Tried to do it on my dad's car, and we didn't have an e10 wrench, and a socket wouldn't fit, and couldn't do the final fill.

You should read the articles about atfs. Just like Dex vi can be used in dex III and so on
My experience was not good.

I had a Lexus SC400 which uses a Toyota T-IV fluid. I used Castrol Transmax Z which was suppose to be suitable for Toyota T-IV and Toyota WS. Within a couple of kilometers the transmission with Castrol Transmax Z would shutter and vibrate going up hills, ie changing gears from 4th to 3rd and would bang / slam into gear when slowing down to a stop.

Going back to Toyota T-IV trans fluid, the transmission was back to Lexus smooth and quiet. Did a drain and fill every 50k km to Toyota T-IV, the Lexus SC400 did just over 600,000km before the transmission died. I was towing a motorcycle at the time.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 6E58AB27-ACB0-46DB-AF56-736FE97DC576.jpg
    6E58AB27-ACB0-46DB-AF56-736FE97DC576.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 26A45FAA-10EA-467A-8D1F-F8F6AC4AFB6F.jpg
    26A45FAA-10EA-467A-8D1F-F8F6AC4AFB6F.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Ford FNR5/ Mazda MV has been left off the suitable for use list for this extended protection fluid. I suppose its because of the cold properties
I know down here in Texas you can use Mercian v fluid in place of FNR5/MV fluid no problem but in extreme cold below freezing the Merc v fluid will sometimes cause a shutter in those transmissions

Back