New Valvoline Extended Formula.

They both probably do a great job of making an engine last a long time and keeping it clean. But I doubt the Valvoline would stand up to 20k miles as well, given the likely lack or less amount of PAO. Even so, you'll never see me run M1 EP 20k or any other oil for that matter. Even M1 EP is too cheap for me to run it to an interval with which I am uncomfortable.

I'd enthusiastically run either of these oils to the 7500 or so OCI's I run with my Pentastar. I don't think that would put any significant stress on either of them.
I had a friend ironically in Indiana tell me he runs 15K OCIs with usually Valvoline synthetic in all his vehicles. He has a Honda Element with 450K now.

I should bother him more about it or get him to post here. I don't think he's ever done oil analysis on his stuff, though.

Valvoline themselves advocate for a 3000 Mile oil change.

1. And we’re not totally unreasonable. (Just don’t go past 6,000 miles between oil changes – that’s our outer limit and if you pass it, we won’t be able to cover your engine.)

So I wonder what their EP oil will do regarding this program they run and their own strong advocacy for short OCIs. I'm gonna guess they won't put a mileage cap on it in writing like 10K/etc.

I had a friend ironically in Indiana tell me he runs 15K OCIs with usually Valvoline synthetic in all his vehicles. He has a Honda Element with 450K now.

I should bother him more about it or get him to post here. I don't think he's ever done oil analysis on his stuff, though.
My dad had a 2010 Ford Escape through work at one point, they changed the oil at 7500mi using the cheap bulk conventional at whichever oil change place he happened to go to that was on the approved vendor list through the fleet company. It was running great when he turned it back in with over 100k on it, he's not a very spirited driver, the tires still had tread on them with over 100k on them, but consider he put those 100k miles on it in a 2 year period so it was mostly highway driving.

Valvoline themselves advocate for a 3000 Mile oil change.

So I wonder what their EP oil will do regarding this program they run and their own strong advocacy for short OCIs. I'm gonna guess they won't put a mileage cap on it in writing like 10K/etc.

I think a 6000 mile maximum limit is perfectly fine for their Extended Performance line seeing as how they are specifying usage of the oil in direct injection engines. Best to stay out of a P-ing match especially if the wind is blowing 🚽

My local Meijer and Walmart stores are all stocked up with Valvoline EP, Meijer also has the new black bottle Valvoline Maxlife 150k oil too.

You were arong. EP is rocking sales and VOA/UOA is outstanding. Additive pack as strong as Amsoil SS.

Not quite sure it is rocking sales, and some stores already cleared it out here. That said, it is still here…..

Does have a nice add park though….

Back