New Used Car - Advice Needed

Hi there, I recently bought a 2002 Honda Accord 4 cyl with >233,000 miles. It has an oil leak somewhere near the top rear passenger side of the motor. Honda calls for 5W-20. Some places say going to thicker oil might be good.

I have always used Castrol Edge full synthetic for other cars. What do you recommend I put in this car?

My understanding is that Castrol and Mobil 1 are the best oils to use. Would there be any advantage to Using Mobil 1 or just preference?

Hi there, I recently bought a 2002 Honda Accord 4 cyl with >233,000 miles. It has an oil leak somewhere near the top rear passenger side of the motor. Honda calls for 5W-20. Some places say going to thicker oil might be good.

I have always used Castrol Edge full synthetic for other cars. What do you recommend I put in this car?

My understanding is that Castrol and Mobil 1 are the best oils to use. Would there be any advantage to Using Mobil 1 or just preference?
I use Castrol Edge 5W-20 or 0W-20 in my 2007 Accord V6.

8,000 km (5,000 mile) changes with a new filter every second change. At 190,000 km I never have to add oil.

Dude-
Anything will work in that 20 yo hooptie.

If it leaks I wouldn't use anything "special" or that is "the best", not worth the extra money. The K24 is also a known oil burner. I'd use something like 5w20 Supertech High Mileage. Cheap and might help slow the leaks a bit. A leak from the passenger side is likely a bad V-TEC solenoid gasket, they can dump a ton of oil when they go bad. There are youtube videos showing how to replace it.

Reactions: wlk
I happen to own a 2002 accord 4cyl daily driver. It’s got 246k. Had it since 153k. It’s gotten whatever oil i could get on clearance. It’s been getting rotella t5 10w30 for a while now. Also has gotten 15w40. Engine never cared.

VTEC, oil pressure sensor and valve cover gasket is suspect in that area. Run what you have or buy some 5w40 qts and add 1 or 2 qts to the 5w20 if you want to thicken it up but the 5w20 is fine. I have ran 5w30 and have 0w40 in my k24 now, they don't care just keep it full.

Back