New USA 0W30 Castrol ( AC ???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here is what I am thinking. James Bond here went to Autozone looking for GC, just like the rest of us. He found 0w30 in GC and pre-GC, grabbed some pre-GC, looked at the back, it said made in the USA, looked up, there is some GC sitting there and assumed it was new. When, in fact, just like all other Autozone stores, the USA crap is up in the front. He is obviously new to this forum, or someone on this forum already who just wants to have a new topic to talk about (since there is not much new going on) and doesn't want any of us to know it is them. (hence the screen name with only numbers). Unless I see conclusive evidence, like a front and back photo, with batch stamp on bottom, I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS. IF IT IS TRUE JAMES BOND, PROVE IT!!!!!

lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
The question is: who will perform the tests?

Terry Dyson and crew did/managed the analysis on GC Green. He is very high on GC and if the rumors are true about Euro Formula 0W30 now being produced in the US then he's the man to do the analysis on it.

I've yet to see the AC beast only M0604 GC Gold so until it's verified as such I'm on the side that it's a rumor. That being said it's definitely plausible that the EURO/$ exchange rate will cause a shift of production to the US. Given Castrol USA's record of Group III Syntec, I bet the 0W30 will become a Group III product as well or cheapened in some way.

quote:

Originally posted by audi_guy:

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
The question is: who will perform the tests?

Terry Dyson and crew did/managed the analysis on GC Green. He is very high on GC and if the rumors are true about Euro Formula 0W30 now being produced in the US then he's the man to do the analysis on it.

That's right.
But reading through the previous analysis thread I got an impression that Terry wasn't really crazy about doing it all over again since the tests required a lot of his time and involvement in finding the right labs in order to keep the prices within reason.
I think that this time around Molakule (who's also been involved during the previous test) could possibly step up and do the organizing and managing part (like collecting funds and distributing the results through his website.)
In return he and his website would benefit with a lot of free exposure.

I found USA made 0-30 Syntec at my local AZ today. Yellow label, made in 2001. No dust, no drama, no problem.
Terry

quote:

Originally posted by Highroller:
Just got back from a couple of AZ and it still has the yellow banner with red letters saying "Euro Formula" and made in Germany on the back with the red banner sae 0w-30 also.

No USA made stuff found...

i have hit 5 autozone's in my area. no new usa 0w30.
But i am gettin a **** of a gc stash
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Well, I for one refuse to believe there's any "new" US formula 0w30 until I actually see some pics. Sure we can all speculate why/if Castrol decided to start brewing it stateside, but I won't believe it until I've seen it with my own peepers.

Specifically for 007008.....

Could you please specify the location of the Autozone in which you found this AC? Address, phone number, anything? I would love to give them a call and have someone look at the bottle for me, as I am sure a lot of other people would as well. This may help with this situation, and clear up some questions we all have.

Guys, I had no idea what an uproar this would make. Perhaps I should not have reported what I had seen. TO Coop0129, I called the AZ I saw the stuff in. (it was in Port Charlotte, Fl.) The young man I talked to said he remembered the oil, that they received one case, mixed in with other oils. I asked if they still had any, he went and looked and told me it was gone. They did not order it in special. As I stated, the best I remember, it was in a normal SYNTECH bottle just like all the rest. The only difference was I think a red banner with yellow printing that said "New Euro Formula". I picked it up and checked to see if it was made in Germany, which it was not. Stated for sale in North America. The next day or so, I looked at the Castrol Oil web site and saw where they now have the "0w-30" Euro Formula". I then sent them an e-mail requesting the info which I then shared with you all. A question was asked about an MB rating of 229.5 or something which I checked on, and passed the info along to the fellow who asked the question. I did not buy any of the oil, did not take any pictures or do any of the things which I guess I should have. Sorry !!!!! Please, take a minute and go to the Castrol Web Site, read what they have there, ask any questions you might have. You can e-mail them like I did, and get an answer within 48 hours, or call them at 1-800-462-0835 between 9:00 am and 5;00 pm EST. I have no idea if this is the exact same oil or not, their customer relations guy who e-mailed me back, told me it was. It does meet the MB spec. # 229.5 for whatever that is worth. I do not know if it is green, gold or hot pink. I also don't know if it is supposed to be the same oil as green or gold. It is now prominatly on their web site, and I must assume it will soon be on the street for all to see, buy, test, praise or ridicule depending upon how it works out.

1) You can't count on an AZ guy knowing what he's talking about. He might, just might, remember receiving some 0w-30, but no way he's going to recall whether it's German-made or not. These guys just aren't that sharp; that's been seen here many, many times.

2)
quote:

I picked it up and checked to see if it was made in Germany, which it was not. Stated for sale in North America.

Again, not enough info. I'm looking right now at an 04 vintage bottle of green GC. On the back, it says, among other things, "Made in Germany", "Imported by Castrol North America", "Not for sale outside the Americas". Where exactly did this oil say it was made? (Not where it is allowed to be sold).

3) As good as GC has proven to be, I still don't trust the blather and doublespeak you get when you ask Castrol questions.

4) The Castrol site has been saying more or less the same about 0w-30 for quite some time, at least a year. As usual with Castrol, nothing definitive there.

5) When examining this product, the first thing you need to do is turn the bottle over and check the batch number. It will read Mxxyyyzzzz... The xx part is the year, as in 04 = 2004. The second part, yyy, is the julian date of manufacture. The bottle I'm looking at is M04188. . . , meaning it was bottled on the 188th day of 2004 (July 6th, remember, it was a leap year). And so forth. From these numbers, and the "Made in ..." language, we can tell what we're talking about.

6) As yet, we've had not one other report of the existence of this oil. It certainly may exist, but the fact that no other BITOGer has seen it is pretty telling. Products like this leave the manufacturer by the truck load, not individual cases. We should be seeing lots of it around the same time.

007, not trying to beat up on you, but as I'm sure you're quickly seeing, this is not a site where unsupported statements are allowed to float on by unchallenged. In fairness, in your initial post, you posed a question. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll presume you weren't just trolling. If you see more of this oil, buy at least one quart (take it for the team!) and photo it. At least write down the particulars, including batch number. Time will, of course, tell.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 007008:
Stated for sale in North America. 007

Well, I have some 06 vintage here. It states for sale in North America as well, but is made in Germany. Do you maybe, possibly think that because it said imported by Castrol North America and for sale in North America that you assumed it meant that it was made in America? In fact it may have (most likely did) also state made in Germany on the back. Just asking if this is a possibility, or are you 100% sure it said made in the USA?

quote:

Originally posted by 007008:
Please, take a minute and go to the Castrol Web Site, read what they have there, ask any questions you might have. You can e-mail them like I did, and get an answer within 48 hours, or call them at 1-800-462-0835 between 9:00 am and 5;00 pm EST.

Well, I understand you tried to get some answers.
I appreciate your time and effort.
I just want you to know that a lot of us tried the same thing before and learned that it's basically impossible to get any usefull answer from that website or through their CS line.
There are no engineers on the other side of the line, just the PR monkeys, whose job is to do just one thing: read/write generic responses consisting of a meaningless standardized script.

Coop:

Thanks. I stopped collecting when the green dried up, and my newest is the M04288... stock. What's the batch number on yours (see the bottom of the bottle)? I'd say that the newer it is, the more probable it is that 007 is simply mistaken.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Coop:

Thanks. I stopped collecting when the green dried up, and my newest is the M04288... stock. What's the batch number on yours (see the bottom of the bottle)? I'd say that the newer it is, thed more probable it is that 007 is simply mistaken.
cheers.gif

It is M06048..........or M06046...the 5th number is kind of hard to read on the bottle that I have in hand. But, I think he may just be mistaken, because it says Castrol USA, and for sale in USA, but, also states made in Germany, small print, on the back.

Coop:

So that would be mid-February vintage. Arguably enough time for a "new" product to appear, but I'm still with you -- I think the smart money is on the mistake theory.
cheers.gif

quote:

Guys, I had no idea what an uproar this would make. Perhaps I should not have reported what I had seen

Your reconnaisance on the existence of Domestic Castrol 0W30 is invaluable to the Intelligence. Operations are dispatching members to other Auto Zone sites to maintain surveillance and confirm these findings.

Bravo Zulu-

[ May 30, 2006, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: outrun ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back