new uoa shows higher lead after cam exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a crate LS 6 7500 miles on it Cammed 613 lift and heads with bronze guides first uoa at 3100 miles on engine 1400 miles on German Castrol 0w30 showed higher copper and iron but was told probably still breaking in by Black stone one year later swapped cam with fresh German Castrol 0w 30 just changed oil with 3000 miles on it sent in sample and it came back with higher cooper, iron and lead than sample did before new cam change. is this new cam causing new break in or is some thing going on. will cam assembly lube cause any of these numbers to rise, car is not tracked just summer driver about 3k per year, here is the lab report, Sorry its the only way I could post it.

10-21-2016

AL: We said last time that, assuming the high metals went away with time, you wouldn’t have anything to
worry about. Unfortunately, iron and copper both increased this time, and now lead is reading high too. We
suspect a problem here, and you may want to investigate before metals get out of hand. We'd hate to see
you spin a bearing. That's where we suspect lead is from, and maybe copper too, though it could be from
other bronze parts. Iron shows wear at steel parts. Silicon is still high, so check air filtration. No fuel or
coolant was present that'd be causing wear.

First column is with cam swap/ this column old set up

3000 miles on oil........1442 miles on oil
7500 miles on engine......3700 miles on engine
This is not on same oil there was one change in between with no sample done still had old cam

Sample Date 3/21/2016 /......10/01/2013

ALUMINUM 5..................... 3
CHROMIUM 3..................... 2
IRON 90....................43
COPPER 101...................62
LEAD 21.....................5
TIN 0.....................6
MOLYBDENUM 6.....................17
NICKEL 3.....................0
magnesium 2.....................1
SILVER 0.....................0
TITANIUM 2.....................1
POTASSIUM 1.....................4
BORON 5.....................13
SILICON 30....................32
SODIUM 4.....................5
CALCIUM 2014..................2009
MAGNESIUM 609...................493
PHOSPHORUS 893...................922
ZINC 1074..................1074
BARIUM 0.....................0

UOA is not your friend with the few total miles on the engine and the changes you're making. You're destroying your baseline by opening the engine to the environment let alone by changing the cam and introducing assembly lube. Ask the assembly lube manufacturer what's in the product or send in a sample for analysis if you want to confirm or eliminate that as a source of metals. If you really want the engine to last so something about the air filtration.

See what the next uoa shows. I would run some kind of a XW-40.You have bumped up the pressures on the valve train. Sometimes chasing uoas on a new engine isn't rewarding.

Along with the high lift cam probably high compression as well and More than 500HP? I wouldn't think 0W-anything would be a good idea in that big motor and the bearing loads. Just seems like no margin for error.

Can you confirm its the proper oil Pump part number?
2005 had a beefed up chain on the pump.
Ported oil pump and chain would be a wise investment.
Maybe try a new O-ring in your pump at least properly well lubed.
Do you have a oil Pressure gauge?

Just repeating what Google says.
GM says 5w-30 so your oil should be fine.

SLP pump and chain at idle 68lbs by gauge and mechanical check, 80+ under heavy throttle

With good pressure like that I would up it to 0w-40 then even though GC is a very heavy 30 weight.
Have you thought of an HDEO like Delvac or Delo?

What fuel are you running? Any additives in there?

just changed oil with 0w30 GC last week should I change to 40 now or drive 1500 miles and re check numbers

my first thought is the only change i made was a cam replacement so thinking either assembly lube or cam bearing and cam wear from change lead was fine before that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back