New Unused Virgin Puro Synthetic PSL10241 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I no longer have a car that calls for the 10241-type filter (Fram 3614, Wix 51348), I thought I'd cut it in the name of science and of course for BITOG
smile.gif

Looks and feels sturdy enough, but the pleat spacing is uneven and inconsistent. Very close/tight near the crimp, then very wide spacing, then narrow again, then wide again.

Date code F01F13B2

16486333111_4fc397ae28.jpg

16487099202_33a10e596b_c.jpg

16301806289_2dd561b41c_c.jpg

16302172007_0a5c35acc2_c.jpg

16486333661_aea1fa30b6_c.jpg

16487100652_6e73f5bb90_c.jpg

16488078655_c630a059c8_c.jpg

16302173387_20142f059a_c.jpg

16302173577_4af07fbebb_c.jpg

16302171237_e5ffe09730_c.jpg

16302170727_860d9aab73_c.jpg

Not as visually impressive as some but certainly more than up to the job at hand. Still a good choice for extended OCI's and should be relatively price competitive if you bother to snipe them at AAP using on line codes.

I wish AAP had the Tough Guards I doubt I'd use anything else if they did.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

Hello, Thanks for the post. Lotsa 10241's in my world.

Shabby construction for one reason or other...sure, it happens. How does it effect us?

Ripped filters mean less filtering. How much less? How frequently?

Prematurely changing one's oil could be the simplest, easiest and cheapest insurance against shoddy filters.

Bring back the 3,000 mile oil change! ? Nah, too soon. Make it an even 5,000. Kira

looks like it was assembled by a kid. or a machine out of whack, either way looks like junk to me. And I am still using the wavy pureone until my stock is gone then going to the XG ultra guard

looks like it was assembled by a kid. or a machine out of whack, either way looks like junk to me. And I am still using the wavy pureone until my stock is gone then going to the XG ultra guard

Seems like a decent alternative to the Ultra, but locally they are so darn hard to find. They need to be a few dollars cheaper too IMO.

from what i see (in pictures only so far) fram ultra looks to be a nice filter and although It's expensive it may really be good for two oci's. I am on the lookout for an engine coming in with a fram ultra so i can cut it open but so far no luck on the ultra there are frams and wix and purolater and also some of the others but so far no ultra. lol

It's not so easy these days to find a good quality filter at a good price. Maybe the ultra will at least be a good quality filter. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
from what i see (in pictures only so far) fram ultra looks to be a nice filter and although It's expensive it may really be good for two oci's. I am on the lookout for an engine coming in with a fram ultra so i can cut it open but so far no luck on the ultra there are frams and wix and purolater and also some of the others but so far no ultra. lol

It's not so easy these days to find a good quality filter at a good price. Maybe the ultra will at least be a good quality filter. Time will tell.

I run Fram ultras for 2 OCI, just because my filters a pain to get to and put back on. I enjoy not having to change it each time. They are solid filters with a noticeably heavier can.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Time has already told, a long time ago ... best bang for the buck in the top tier filter arena.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I dont see any reason to buy this over a Fram Ultra.

the puro synthetic is not wired back is it???

I know fram ultra is.

Fram Ultra is much better, I am glad I made the switch.

On amazon theyre cheaper also, the only place that carries the Pur Synth is Pepboys for me and they're $10+.

Pur is getting such bad rep here in past few months. Its a shame , I liked their bang for the buck model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back