New Ultras!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another set of Gabriel Ultras went on one of our 3500 Express vans this last weekend.

This one is a 2013 model with a hair over 100k miles on her. It has been very bouncy lately. The bounce is sometimes aggravated by the extremely stiff front springs our Factory Authorized Upfitter puts in the front when the trucks are modified.

At just 18 bucks each for the fronts and 36 bucks each for the rear these qualify as cheap shocks. When I removed the factory units they all were extremely stiff but I have learned on a heavy truck (about 9200 pounds every day) how they feel off the truck is sometimes not a true indication of how they will actually ride.

The difference? AMAZING! The truck feels way more buttoned down and yet seems to ride better. All the little ride motions we remember are gone, just smoothness. These shocks are the bomb...

I was thinking about putting these on the Focus. For some reason I have a blown rear shock at 70K miles.

Unfortunately, seems like they have fitment issues on Focuses.

And here I was hoping to see the updated Fram Ultra filters that MotorKing had mentioned were going to be upgraded early 2017. Hmpf...

Originally Posted By: volk06
And here I was hoping to see the updated Fram Ultra filters that MotorKing had mentioned were going to be upgraded early 2017. Hmpf...

That would be nice if they come out with a new model, then the old ones could go on clearance.

I have the Gabriel Ultra on my truck, but did not really notice any difference between the OEM with 180,000 miles and the Gabriel Ultra's (it was fine before and after).

I have had some Gabriel ultras on my Protege for about 40k miles on lowered stiffer springs. They still seem to be holding up fine. I bought them from Autozone so I will get a free set when they go bad too! I have had much worse luck with Monroe struts!

I have them on my avalanche, a bit stiff. But when the travel trailer is behind it with wd hitch it rides perfect. Great shock for towing.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Are they going to be without the textured grip ?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I was thinking about putting these on the Focus. For some reason I have a blown rear shock at 70K miles.

Yeah, sorry to hear that. But a 9000 pound service van is about as far away from a Focus as you can get! These are BIG HD truck shocks in my world...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yeah, sorry to hear that. But a 9000 pound service van is about as far away from a Focus as you can get! These are BIG HD truck shocks in my world...

I have a bad habit of using the car to tow stuff haha. That's whay I wanted to go with the Gabriel Ultras for it.

I put Ultra's on the back of the Honda Pilot a few months ago based on Steve's observations, and because they're cheap enough to satisfy my urge to just try things without undo financial risk.

3K miles so far, and they are working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back