New UHP summer tire, Sumitomo HTR Z5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing the Z3 (or Z III), one of the greatest bargains in the summer tire segment

Tire Rack lists the Z5 as an ultra high performance (UHP) summer tire. They are made in Thailand.

The outgoing Z3 is classified as a Max Performance summer and was made in Japan. So the Z5 is a downgrade
mad.gif

Tire Rack page
MTD article

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't call it a downgrade being made in Thailand. At least there are rubber tree plantations in Thailand.
So they can at least make the claim of grown here, made here.

Note:Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Well cant use them in Many places with real winter season, unless its a toy car or you use winter tires 6 months out of the year(I run my winter tires 3-4 months)

"cant use them in Many places with real winter season"

Isn't it THE point of summer tires? They are not for winter use.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by Rand
Well cant use them in Many places with real winter season, unless its a toy car or you use winter tires 6 months out of the year(I run my winter tires 3-4 months)

Why would you even try to run an ultra high performance summer tire in the winter?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
....ultra high performance.......
Can the word "hyper" be substituted for the words "ultra high"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krzyss
"cant use them in Many places with real winter season"

Isn't it THE point of summer tires? They are not for winter use.

KrzyÅ›

well unless its a car you park for 8 months At least here I've seen snowstorms and 20's in May, as well as Overnight lows below 25F in October.

So now you are stuck with June to September 4 months? I suppose a heated garage and it being a 2nd "fun" car you could just leave it parked and drive it on the warm days.

It says anytime the temps are below 20f to leave it for a full 24 hours to warm up.

Michelin super sports for example, I wouldn't take out in an ice storm but if the overnight low hit 15 and it was 40f out during day.. they would be fine.

Does that maybe clarify the points I was trying to convey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

Yeah, my Conti Extreme Contact Sport have the same temperature limitation (at least according to TireRack - I wasn't able to find the same language on Conti's website). I end up taking them off in late October and putting them back on in May.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I wouldn't call it a downgrade being made in Thailand.
I liked that past Goodyear Assurance Comfortred's were made in the U.S.A. Not happy that our current made Comfortred's were made in Thailand. With 40,000 miles, looks like the Thailand Goodyear's will go past 60,000 miles(65-70,000?), AND have provided excellent service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by litesong
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I wouldn't call it a downgrade being made in Thailand.
I liked that past Goodyear Assurance Comfortred's were made in the U.S.A. Not happy that our current made Comfortred's were made in Thailand. With 40,000 miles, looks like the Thailand Goodyear's will go past 60,000 miles(65-70,000?), AND have provided excellent service.
Oh, oh! I made a mistake. Our Goodyear's were made in Chile, not Thailand. Sorry! Still, I'm unhappy that so many Goodyear tires (& other 'american" brands) are no longer made in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back