New TV

stay away from LG.

Our $950+ LG TV lasted just over 3 years and iirc the warranty was either 1 or 3 years. TV started flashing on/off.

customer service was non-existent. I thought they may offer a discounted repair or something.

bought a Samsung from Costco that comes with 3 Yr + additional 2 Yr warranty by Costco. Much cheaper and much better quality.

I have LG monitors that are very old and still working but I would never buy another LG mainly because you couldn't even get to the right customer service. I think they transferred me several times back to the original number in India I think.

Another co-worker had major issue with LG fridge but unfortunately we already had a LG fridge before all this. lol
I have a 2 year old 4k LG that loses sound on ARC and wify issues. Their response is unplug and plug back in. That works but can be irritating. My Samsung is 7 years+ without a problem.

I'm told or read somewhere that TCL actually manufactures the screens for Samsung. I love the new TCL TV's for the price. Hisense lost my business when a few of their products failed within a year. Like another poster wrote previously - Buy what works for you. My nephew just purchased a LG OLED TV for over $2000. I can't seem to do that.

I'm sticking with the TCL. I want a 75" and have had good experience with a 55" TCL I bought 4 years ago. The TCL I get on Thursday is a Roku TV too. Which I like.i just sign in to ky Roku account and it downloads all of my channels. Seemles from one house to the next. It's brilliant. Also, at $1400 for a highly rated QLED 75" TV...
I think I'm getting pretty good bang for the buck.

Oh my god! I forgot to mention the price, I cant believe it! *LOL*
Anyway for the others in here, who maybe interested. For some you have nothing to lose, try it out, dont like it, bring it back to your local Walmart.
I dont see anyway on earth how you can by a 65 inch 4K TV with a Roku players for less! *LOL*

READY????
Walmart has their own brand ONN, 65 inch TV advertised for sale on 11-4-20. You dont have much to lose with a 30 day or more return policy. Oh! and it has built in Roku player!
Ready for the price???? $228 for a 65 inch TV and $88 for a 42 inch TV

This isnt a TV I have interest in but heck, if your looking for price and considering others like HiSense and other similar models, well $228 seems reasonable for a 65 inch TV !

Ps we have been using Roku players for a decade or more, currently have five in use and a 6th built into the kitchen TV. Its stupid simple.
Yup, we sometimes take one of our Roku boxes on Vacation with us, if the place has good WIFI we just plug it into the hotel TV,

Last edited:
Oh my god! I forgot to mention the price, I cant believe it! *LOL*
Anyway for the others in here, who maybe interested. For some you have nothing to lose, try it out, dont like it, bring it back to your local Walmart.
I dont see anyway on earth how you can by a 65 inch 4K TV with a Roku players for less! *LOL*

READY????
Walmart has their own brand ONN, 65 inch TV advertised for sale on 11-4-20. You dont have much to lose with a 30 day or more return policy. Oh! and it has built in Roku player!
Ready for the price???? $228 for a 65 inch TV and $88 for a 42 inch TV

This isnt a TV I have interest in but heck, if your looking for price and considering others like HiSense and other similar models, well $228 seems reasonable for a 65 inch TV !

Ps we have been using Roku players for a decade or more, currently have five in use and a 6th built into the kitchen TV. Its stupid simple.
Yup, we sometimes take one of our Roku boxes on Vacation with us, if the place has good WIFI we just plug it into the hotel TV,

Yes i saw these ONN at my local walmart. They had 4 pallets of them that i could see but still wrapped.

in my niche forums there is talk of a TCL 55s20 for $148 at walmart for Black Friday.

I just read the reviews left on Walmart's site for the 65" ONN.
It looks like you get what you pay for.
Very hit and miss for getting a set that even works out of the box.

It is my understanding that a lot of these televisions are made in a handful of factories and brands are meaningless.

Yes i saw these ONN at my local walmart. They had 4 pallets of them that i could see but still wrapped.

in my niche forums there is talk of a TCL 55s20 for $148 at walmart for Black Friday.

The TCL 55s20 is on sale at Walmart on 11/11/20 for $148 not on Black Friday but is part of their Black Friday month long event.
Also on that day is a OON 50 inch with built in Roku for $128

Plus of course my other post, a few posts up for 11/4 which features the 65 inch for $228.

It is my understanding that a lot of these televisions are made in a handful of factories and brands are meaningless.
I agree
Pretty much like any low to mid low priced TV now are produced in China, on contract from major TV names and off brands.. Only the mid to high priced are made by the actual companies such as Samsung, LG ect
Good news with a OON Walmart TV, if you dont like it, just return it. Hassle free but the vast majority looking in this low price class will be more then happy, what's not to like? A 65 4k inch display with a Roku player for less then $250.

I am in no way comparing quality of these to a $1,500 TV but I am saying the picture will be more then acceptable compared to TVs from just a few years ago. Reliability might be an issue more then a high priced, but that too is subjective I would think.

Guess I don’t like made in China but that’s in many ways a hopeless position. However, I can still avoid made by Chinese company and will. Was there already … now feel strongly about that …

Guess I don’t like made in China but that’s in many ways a hopeless position. However, I can still avoid made by Chinese company and will. Was there already … now feel strongly about that …
I agree 100% and have longer then most Americans, I avoid all I can myself, however for this TV thread and the prices they are talking, not possible. Only higher end sets are made outside of China, almost all the major name brand manufacturers lower cost sets are made in China. Im pretty sure my Sony x900 was Japan, I know I checked when I first bought it.

Translated, Samsung, Lg ect do not make their lower cost sets, Im guessing up to around the $1000 price mark, they are made under contract by a handful of companies based in China.

Thailand produces a lot of televisions. I’ve seen Sony and other major brands from there.

I am still old school when I purchase a television which isn’t that often. I look for the number and types of connections so I am not outdated already when I get it home but the main thing is the picture. Whichever television has the best picture of those I am researching gets the nod.

Even though the sets may be on a display or dealer mode it is still possible to determine which picture looks best. Some have fake looking colors or the screen is glossy and attracts glares and shadows.

Many years ago I was super impressed with a Sharp Aquos set when 4K was just coming out. I was about 12-15 feet away looking through a display window in a mall in Asia and that picture was just clear and crisp. Expensive though.

Just wondering guys , about TV size. What do you think about size compared to distance from the TV ?

Just wondering guys , about TV size. What do you think about size compared to distance from the TV ?

Samsung recommends the following formula.
Measure the distance in inches to the TV screen and divide by two.
Example 120 inches to the TV Screen divided by 2 = 60 inch TV
To me the above is the absolute smallest screen someone should go for, I think it is too small.

I agree with this chart I pulled off the internet but at the larger distance for each TV size under the 4k chart.

We have a 65 inch and when watching a movie on the weekend, our sofa swings out directly facing the TV. I prefer to be 6.5 to 8 feet from the screen for a theater like experience, my wife is ok with a little farther. I pretty much agree with the chart below.

Keep in mind even though one has a 4k TV most programming is not true 4K unless you are watching a 4K Disc. So is realistic you can fudge and use the minimum 1080p distances or maximum 4K distances and for me, that agrees with what I like for a movie, 8 feet for a 65 inch TV.
We also have a true 4k disc player, but go figure, its a pain trying to find one to watch unless you buy it. Which is what we like about the Sony TV as the up converting works very well and its something to take into account when buying a TV.
Forget 8K TVs in a world where you can not even get true 4K except in discs you purchase.

PS, I agree with PimTac on the glossy screens, I hate them, they exist to sell TVs, look great in the store but is BS for a true clean picture at home. Most higher end screens are now a semi gloss, I prefer flat but choices limited, I think our Sony semi gloss is a nice compromise and also makes my wife happy. I guess if companies sold true flat screens it would kill showroom sales.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 7.29.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 7.29.42 AM.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I use the smart TV features built in to my Samsung (couple years old) and I have no problems watching Prime,Netflix,Hulu and Disney.
What advantage would Roku give me?

If the TV apps work and well then none. However once they stop supporting the OS of tv then you are stuck with apps that may no longer work and then have a case to consider a Roku.

I have a tcl roku tv picture is crystal clear like glass. I really can’t tell the difference between my lg and the tcl

measureman said:
I use the smart TV features built in to my Samsung (couple years old) and I have no problems watching Prime,Netflix,Hulu and Disney.
What advantage would Roku give me?
If the TV apps work and well then none. However once they stop supporting the OS of tv then you are stuck with apps that may no longer work and then have a case to consider a Roku.

I agree ^^^
With that said, some may like the new faster hardware performance of the latest Roku player. We have noticed significant upgrades in speed over the last few generations of players, maybe not a big deal with smart TVs yet, as they are still new to the market.

Just curious, what do you guys do with the old TV? I don't even have 4k yet but can't bring myself to just throw out a perfectly working TV. No other room to put it in and I'm not about to try and get $50 by putting it on Craigslist. I still have one from 2007 that still works but is rarely used.

I have the same issue. I have some very old TV's that look like new and work perfectly.
Some over 40 years old. I don't want anything for them but won't throw them away as it just feels wrong
to do so.

Back