New TV

Best Buy delivered the Hisense 75H8G today. Spent 30 minutes watching various programs. Its being returned....paid $ 200more for the 75" TCL ULED. Must have gat a bad Hisense. Picture was awful, blurred blotchy...I get that you need to tweak them but they shouldn't look as bad as this one did out of the box. It was a 10 minute phone call to Best Buy...they come get it and drop off the new one.
Well that settles that... I was looking at replacing my curved 55” with the same Hisense. Let us know how the TCL is!

The picture quality is fine. I'm not aching for that OLED TV that cost twice as much for the same size. And for the time being the smart TV features are just fine. If they suddenly become inadequate or they aren't maintained, then it's easy enough to get and connect a separate streaming device. But for now it's one fewer remote and/or one fewer power plug or cable to deal with. Right now I'm already maxed out on the inputs. If there were some way to connect a streaming device via ethernet or Wi-Fi as a source input that might work in the future.
Im confused in your reply to me, no where did I mention OLED.
Since I am posting this, I think a lot of the public, because of marketing by these companies and then review sites repeating the marketing of the TV makers, mostly by Samsung Marketing, now has started to spread, so far Sony has not bought into this game.

There are only two panel displays (tv types)
LED and OLED

Thats it. Forget marketing like Quantium LED, Super Twist LED ya da ya da. The basic technology is the same, with a spin of words they are ALL displays by PLAIN LED technology..actaully the type of back lighting is FAR more important, whole other subject.
Kind of like motor oils in the same API rating. The LEDs are all of the same technology. Except ...

Except for LG's OLED, for Organic LED. This is the one and only different type of LED technology (lack of better words)
OLED the picture quality standard that ALL other LEDs strive for. ALL the others use the same LED technology and try to improve in it to get close to LGs OLED (organic LED)
What Samsung had done was create confusion in order to make their products look like the same as LGs technology by adding a letter in front of the "LED" others now have followed suit with things like QLED ... except for LG products all LEDs are the same technology in general.

With that said, OLED or Organic LED I personally pass on. Not quite as stable over the long term which maybe meaningless and the new higher end plain LEDs come close from the major manufacturers. Just keep in mind, if you have a TV other then an LG OLED your TV is simply the same old LED technology used forever now and has been perfected as much as possible.

What makes TVs more expensive other then high quality components is the display quality but most important is the actual backlighting of the display, all the fancy sounding LED marketing words dont change the fact that it is old plain LED panel but the major difference with higher end sets, yes, a better display screen but also the back lighting which is MAJOR for contrast and black levels.

Still on my first coffee, its early *L* this is my basic understanding in words.
There are two types of LED TVs LG OLED and all the other TVs that use plain old LEDs with dressed up words to make them sound like LGs OLED.
Keep in mind in reference to LG, the sets I am talking about are their high end, high priced OLED TVs. Not the run of the mill regular ones mentioned in this thread.
Im thrilled with my Sony 900 series and they now have a loyal customer after many, many years ago (decades actually) being turned off by their quality. I am glad to see I they got back on their game.

Last edited:
Since I am posting this, I think a lot of the public, because of marketing by these companies and then review sites repeating the marketing of the TV makers, mostly by Samsung Marketing, now has started to spread, so far Sony has not bought into this game.

LED and OLED

Thats it. Forget marketing like Quantium LED, Super Twist LED ya da ya da. The basic technology is the same, with a spin of words they are ALL displays by PLAIN LED technology..actaully the type of back lighting is FAR more important, whole other subject.
Kind of like motor oils in the same API rating. The LEDs are all of the same technology. Except ...

Except for LG's OLED, for Organic LED. This is the one and only different type of LED technology (lack of better words)
OLED the picture quality standard that ALL other LEDs strive for. ALL the others use the same LED technology and try to improve in it to get close to LGs OLED (organic LED)
What Samsung had done was create confusion in order to make their products look like the same as LGs technology by adding a letter in front of the "LED" others now have followed suit with things like QLED ... except for LG products all LEDs are the same technology in general.

With that said, OLED or Organic LED I personally pass on. Not quite as stable over the long term which maybe meaningless and the new higher end plain LEDs come close from the major manufacturers. Just keep in mind, if you have a TV other then an LG OLED your TV is simply the same old LED technology used forever now and has been perfected as much as possible.

What makes TVs more expensive other then high quality components is the display quality but most important is the actual backlighting of the display, all the fancy sounding LED marketing words dont change the fact that it is old plain LED panel but the major difference with higher end sets, yes, a better display screen but also the back lighting which is MAJOR for contrast and black levels.

Still on my first coffee, its early *L* this is my basic understanding in words.
There are two types of LED TVs LG OLED and all the other TVs that use plain old LEDs with dressed up words to make them sound like LGs OLED.
Keep in mind in reference to LG, the sets I am talking about are their high end, high priced OLED TVs. Not the run of the mill regular ones mentioned in this thread.
Im thrilled with my Sony 900 series and they now have a loyal customer after many, many years ago (decades actually) being turned off by their quality. I am glad to see I they got back on their game.
Well if its been improved or perfected, than it's not the same old technology is it?

Well that settles that... I was looking at replacing my curved 55” with the same Hisense. Let us know how the TCL is!
I will. Comes next Thursday. I have to say, I thought 65" was huge when I put one in our beach house...but 75" is massive. I could have simply had them swap for another Hisense 75H8G, but fact is, we have a 3 year old TCL 55" 4 series and the picture and functionality are outstanding. For +$200, I'll roll the dice on the TCL 75r635 . The baked in Roku is a plus for me but my limited time with the Android OS tells me it it's just fine too...at least on that Hisense. Most reviews have it neck and neck with the Hisense. All I know is the picture out of the box absolutely sucked. The picture on my 65" R7 series for $350 is stunning. This one was $1200. Go figure.

Just curious, what do you guys do with the old TV? I don't even have 4k yet but can't bring myself to just throw out a perfectly working TV. No other room to put it in and I'm not about to try and get $50 by putting it on Craigslist. I still have one from 2007 that still works but is rarely used.

Just curious, what do you guys do with the old TV? I don't even have 4k yet but can't bring myself to just throw out a perfectly working TV. No other room to put it in and I'm not about to try and get $50 by putting it on Craigslist. I still have one from 2007 that still works but is rarely used.
I gave my daughter the 60" SONY to replace her old 43" VIZIO. I put the VIZIO in my garage to watch OTA tv.

LED and OLED

I get that backlighting is the difference and that at their heart these are all LCD technology. I just don't see that I really need the most expensive at this point in time.

Years ago I was looking into some of this stuff. Dolby Labs had this special professional reference monitor. I heard it cost about $50,000 for a 42" LCD and had over a thousand individual backlighting elements. It's probably outdated by now, and I'm not sure they're still in the business. I can't find anything indicating that they've worked on anything after this one, which is only 1080p. I'm thinking the technology caught up.

Charity is a good thing.

I get that backlighting is the difference and that at their heart these are all LCD technology. I just don't see that I really need the most expensive at this point in time.

Years ago I was looking into some of this stuff. Dolby Labs had this special professional reference monitor. I heard it cost about $50,000 for a 42" LCD and had over a thousand individual backlighting elements. It's probably outdated by now, and I'm not sure they're still in the business. I can't find anything indicating that they've worked on anything after this one, which is only 1080p. I'm thinking the technology caught up.

Oh, no question about it, you do not need the most expensive TV. Most people wouldn't notice the difference. We all buy what is important to us, that goes for any product in life. My wife and I were just at a point in our lives that an evening weekend movie is a constant which we enjoy with our sound system. I almost went less expensive and then thought, what the heck, when it comes to picture she is even more crazy about every little detail, so it was a perfect match for us $1,500 for something we enjoy and will be at least 5 years before we replace it and honestly $1,500 is to me middle of the road price.

That's a bargain compared to a one week depreciation on a automobile, car, boat or motorcycle and heck, people spend 500 to $1000 just on a telephone! *LOL* Makes a 65 inch TV look cheap at any price! 500 to $1000 phones get replaced every two years or so, if you dont drop it or lose it, and only have 5 inch screens, not 65 inch! *L*

Years ago, many, many years ago, my wifes boss bought a $40,000 TV Dont know if it was plasma or LED most likely plasma back then.

Last edited:
Speaking of OLED.. rtings just reviewed the Vizio OLED.

Personally i am good with LED.

My current dilemma is the TCL 635 vs the Sony 950H.

The thrifty guy in me wants the 635 but the quality guy in me wants the 950H.

The 900H is the balanced decision. But with a PQ sacrifice.

Oh, no question about it, you do not need the most expensive TV. Most people wouldn't notice the difference. We all buy what is important to us, that goes for any product in life. My wife and I were just at a point in our lives that an evening weekend movie is a constant which we enjoy with our sound system. I almost went less expensive and then thought, what the heck, when it comes to picture she is even more crazy about every little detail, so it was a perfect match for us $1,500 for something we enjoy and will be at least 5 years before we replace it and honestly $1,500 is to me middle of the road price.

That's a bargain compared to a one week depreciation on a automobile, car, boat or motorcycle and heck, people spend 500 to $1000 just on a telephone! *LOL* Makes a 65 inch TV look cheap at any price! 500 to $1000 phones get replaced every two years or so, if you dont drop it or lose it, and only have 5 inch screens, not 65 inch! *L*

Years ago, many, many years ago, my wifes boss bought a $40,000 TV Dont know if it was plasma or LED most likely plasma back then.
I spent less than $400 and I'm quite happy with the results. Decades ago I spent maybe $700 on a 32" Sony Trinitron TV and $100 on a matching stand. I thought I was living life well in a new house 2 years out of college. But these days I have other concerns.

But back then before HD, the big things were supposedly front projection. State of the art would have been a Runco projector with a line doubler - projected on a Da-Lite screen.

Speaking of OLED.. rtings just reviewed the Vizio OLED.

Personally i am good with LED.

My current dilemma is the TCL 635 vs the Sony 950H.

The thrifty guy in me wants the 635 but the quality guy in me wants the 950H.

The 900H is the balanced decision. But with a PQ sacrifice.
I just went for the TCL 635 75". Exchanging the Hisense 75H8G for it next week.

Coming from an older set i think you are right..

(i dont like believing everything that i read but..) supposedly the Picture quality is lesser on the 900H than the previous 900F and also lesser than the 950G and 950H.

From what i gather the 900H gains the HDMI 2.1 and the new TV tuner that other models dont have at the sacrifice of a better board and dimming zones.

I gather that the 900H is awesome for gamers and persons that havent seen the R635 or 950H.

As it stands for me right now the TCL 635 is the best 'value' for what you get for the money. - at the cost of possible dirty screen effect, panel lottery, and possible dead pixels and unknown longevity.

The 950H is the best set if you are willing to pay extra for extra picture quality and sound as well as viewing angles.

I wish it was as easy as the old days when a good Zenith was good enough.

Coming from an older set i think you are right..

(i dont like believing everything that i read but..) supposedly the Picture quality is lesser on the 900H than the previous 900F and also lesser than the 950G and 950H.

From what i gather the 900H gains the HDMI 2.1 and the new TV tuner that other models dont have at the sacrifice of a better board and dimming zones.

I gather that the 900H is awesome for gamers and persons that havent seen the R635 or 950H.

As it stands for me right now the TCL 635 is the best 'value' for what you get for the money. - at the cost of possible dirty screen effect, panel lottery, and possible dead pixels and unknown longevity.

The 950H is the best set if you are willing to pay extra for extra picture quality and sound as well as viewing angles.

I wish it was as easy as the old days when a good Zenith was good enough.
It is easy, but its also easy to over think it as today you have many options. AS Malo posted, you will be happy with the 900H and you will not know any difference from anything else that you think is better.
I think it will blow you away and far superior to anything out there at that price.
With the right source and believe it or not, sometimes that is OTA signals, depending on what is available in your area, the 900 picture pops in almost 3D due to the fantastic black levels

OLED would not work as we have a bright room, even though rarely do we ever watch during the day, its not even a concern on a day that we may. We have the equivalent of 24 feet of west facing windows as high as 16 feet off the floor, with pretty dark window tint but still a bright room, no curtains or blinds. From what I read about OLED including the review posted in here on a new Vizio, that would not cut it.
Great to have a nice picture but a display that can not blow me away with brightness is a compromise no matter what the specs show.

I dont want what I call movie theater dark, our TV and sound system is a reason that we find it hard to be happy going to theaters anymore, because its a downgrade in the experience. Except for size the picture to us is dark and dreary compared to home. Note= we have two state of the art theaters near us, complete with electric reclining seats/lounge chairs, you actually pick your row and seat, just so you know we are not talking about old crummy theaters *L*

One more thing often over looked, gosh, its going to sound like I work for Sony, I swear I dont, I used to hate Sony.
When TV sets are tested, some tests are done with pure unadulterated 4K signals and video sources. Good luck doing that at home unless you have a good source for a constant supply of 4K DISCs.
So called 4K streaming, although can be good is not true 4K, and cable TV 4K is almost a joke.
Other then a 4K disc, to me, a standard BLU RAY disc is as good or better then any 4K streaming or cable. Keep in mind cable and satellite companies compress their 4k video.
What I am getting at the Sony is known for its fantastic 4K up converting so its important if reading reviews to make sure you check on that, no matter what brand.

Last edited:
Why the exchange? It may help others who are considering HiSense if there are issues.
It was a terrible picture out of the box and no better after some minor tweaks...both HD xfinity and WiFi content....Netflix etc...Blurry spots, motion jutter, blooming. I think it was defective. I have a 65" Hisense R7 series at our beach house...their lower tier model and the PQ is outstanding. Its a 2018 model I believe and I only paid $350 for it. The H8G is one down from their flagship ULED H9G model. I had great expectations.
So we'll see how the TCL does come Thursday.

It was a terrible picture out of the box and no better after some minor tweaks...both HD xfinity and WiFi content....Netflix etc...Blurry spots, motion jutter, blooming. I think it was defective. I have a 65" Hisense R7 series at our beach house...their lower tier model and the PQ is outstanding. Its a 2018 model I believe and I only paid $350 for it. The H8G is one down from their flagship ULED H9G model. I had great expectations.
So we'll see how the TCL does come Thursday.

Just an FYI, I see Walmart has their own brand ONN, 65 inch TV advertised for sale on 11-4-20. You dont have much to lose with a 30 day or more return policy. Oh! and it has built in Roku player! *LOL*

Just an FYI, I see Walmart has their own brand ONN, 65 inch TV advertised for sale on 11-4-20. You dont have much to lose with a 30 day or more return policy. Oh! and it has built in Roku player! *LOL*
I'm sticking with the TCL. I want a 75" and have had good experience with a 55" TCL I bought 4 years ago. The TCL I get on Thursday is a Roku TV too. Which I like.i just sign in to ky Roku account and it downloads all of my channels. Seemles from one house to the next. It's brilliant. Also, at $1400 for a highly rated QLED 75" TV...
I think I'm getting pretty good bang for the buck.

Back