New TV

Sound is a big issue
I bought several TV's over the last few years ( mom and pops)
A few I could never get the sound right on ( built in speakers)
Next time no mail order- I have to hear it.

We have a Sony X 900H from Best Buy which is now a year older model from the 950 I believe. Extremely happy with it. Even though like all TVs it has built-in Wi-Fi we choose to use our 4K Roku player and over the air antenna and recorder.
All my TV's have been SONY's, picked up the 75" X900H to replace my old 60" SONY and couldn't be happier, great TV right out of the box, gonna give it some break in time before dialing it in. ;)

People should buy a TV for the display (picture) quality only. Forget apps, forget "smart" TVs as that is nothing but marketing for dollars.
Why on earth would anyone buy a TV based on what Apps or system it runs on?
Seems crazy to make a decision to buy a TV, spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a device that cost $50 that will connect you to the internet. Not only that, the $50 device will work far BETTER then ANYTHING that comes built in with the TV.
We have a $1600 Sony 4k. I do not connect it to the internet. I do not use any of the built in system. I plug in a 4 k Roku player with the latest and greatest hardware and software.
The system that comes with a TV is completely free to the TV maker, cost pennies to include it. You can buy your own system for a few dollars to up to a whole $100 and it is far, far superior.

Moral of the story is, if a $200 TV makes you happy or a $8000 TV makes you happy buy your own device to stream and connect to the internet. it will be a far better experience. ANY Roku player at any price beats anything built into a TV,
Find a TV on the market today that doesn't have a smart OS.

I use the smart TV features built in to my Samsung (couple years old) and I have no problems watching Prime,Netflix,Hulu and Disney.
What advantage would Roku give me?
Possibly nothing, if it works for you and your happy.
All I was saying is one doesnt have to pick out a TV based on the APPS that it runs, for $50 you can get any device that you want and it will most likely be a better experience.
As far as what advantage Roku gives us is the latest fastest hardware and firmware. We have had Roku players, I think, almost since they were first sold, over a decade now (?) and every time we upgraded to the next one, if was much like upgrading to a new faster computer.
We now have 5 Roku players of different generations and one built into a set in the kitchen.
On the 65 inch Sony we have the latest Roku 4k which was around $85 give or take $10.
Lot of options out there and any of the players can plug into a TV was my only point.

All my TV's have been SONY's, picked up the 75" X900H to replace my old 60" SONY and couldn't be happier, great TV right out of the box, gonna give it some break in time before dialing it in. ;)
I was kind of on the fence between the 65 and 75. The 65 was a perfect fit but I am kind of thinking now, a year later I could have squeezed a 75 in, Im still very happy with it, dont misunderstand me ... *L* Anyway, the X900H is an awesome display, the contrast and black levels almost look 3D which I am sure you noticed by now?
In this room we have 16 foot ceilings and six large windows all the way up with no blinds or window treatments, they are tinted with 3M night vision treatment, anyway, during the daytime the picture doesnt get washed out even with the sun shining in, not ideal but doesnt get washed out.

You can see by the photo why I was torn between a 65 and 75. The 65 fits perfectly but I think now, a 70 or 75 would have too. You can see in the reflection on the screen there is a fireplace on the other side of the room that would be perfect but we dont like fireplace mounted TVs. Feels like a compromise mounting it in that way.

Attachments

• 0BBDCCD2-A42D-4BF9-ADF3-563225E54DD4_1_105_c.jpeg
    0BBDCCD2-A42D-4BF9-ADF3-563225E54DD4_1_105_c.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
No need to worry much about refresh rate. I worked on xray equipment for over 30years. Your heart doctor uses15 and 30 refresh rate to look at your heart. Signal processing with frame averaging makes the image so smooth you can't see any flicker or lag. TV's use the same processing now days.

I was kind of on the fence between the 65 and 75. The 65 was a perfect fit but I am kind of thinking now, a year later I could have squeezed a 75 in, Im still very happy with it, dont misunderstand me ... *L* Anyway, the X900H is an awesome display, the contrast and black levels almost look 3D which I am sure you noticed by now?
In this room we have 16 foot ceilings and six large windows all the way up with no blinds or window treatments, they are tinted with 3M night vision treatment, anyway, during the daytime the picture doesnt get washed out even with the sun shining in, not ideal but doesnt get washed out.

You can see by the photo why I was torn between a 65 and 75. The 65 fits perfectly but I think now, a 70 or 75 would have too. You can see in the reflection on the screen there is a fireplace on the other side of the room that would be perfect but we dont like fireplace mounted TVs. Feels like a compromise mounting it in that way.
Nice setup, I need to get a pic of mine.

Just went with the Hisense 75H8G for $1272.00 delivered. Its a 4K ULED Quantum dot HDR,Dolbyvision tv. It gets delivered Thursday. I opted for delivery from Best Buy despite having to pay tax as I could have picked it up in Delaware with no sales tax. However, if you get it home after self transporting it and there are any issues with the screen, BB will tell you to pound sand. Not worth $72 to me for that possibility. Have a 65" Hisense Roku in our each house. Paid $350 for it at BJs last November. The picture is outstanding.

Reactions: JC1
People should buy a TV for the display (picture) quality only. Forget apps, forget "smart" TVs as that is nothing but marketing for dollars.
Why on earth would anyone buy a TV based on what Apps or system it runs on?
Seems crazy to make a decision to buy a TV, spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a device that cost $50 that will connect you to the internet. Not only that, the $50 device will work far BETTER then ANYTHING that comes built in with the TV.
We have a $1600 Sony 4k. I do not connect it to the internet. I do not use any of the built in system. I plug in a 4 k Roku player with the latest and greatest hardware and software.
The system that comes with a TV is completely free to the TV maker, cost pennies to include it. You can buy your own system for a few dollars to up to a whole $100 and it is far, far superior.

Moral of the story is, if a $200 TV makes you happy or a $8000 TV makes you happy buy your own device to stream and connect to the internet. it will be a far better experience. ANY Roku player at any price beats anything built into a TV,

The picture quality is fine. I'm not aching for that OLED TV that cost twice as much for the same size. And for the time being the smart TV features are just fine. If they suddenly become inadequate or they aren't maintained, then it's easy enough to get and connect a separate streaming device. But for now it's one fewer remote and/or one fewer power plug or cable to deal with. Right now I'm already maxed out on the inputs. If there were some way to connect a streaming device via ethernet or Wi-Fi as a source input that might work in the future.

Does it feel a little like the book Fahrenheit 451 in here? In the future, all people care about is bigger and bigger TVs....

Reactions: JC1
Look at websites that are attuned to televisions for more detailed and comprehensive answers along with best choices. Picture quality along with processor power is probably what you should be looking at. I'm considering a projector next time around.

Look at websites that are attuned to televisions for more detailed and comprehensive answers along with best choices. Picture quality along with processor power is probably what you should be looking at. I'm considering a projector next time around.
They produce a picture that looks like the old time wiggle pictures you'd get in a Cracker Jack box

Does it feel a little like the book Fahrenheit 451 in here? In the future, all people care about is bigger and bigger TVs....
In the future? We have been in the future for almost 100 years. About 80 years ago, someone might have made the same comment you did (except about the book) when 5 inch televisions came out, along with 9 inch and the super sized 12 inch was the largest.
Move forward about 50 years when 25 inch was the standard large screen. I am sure the vast majority do not want to go back to those old days.

Im looking forward to a 75 inch, it will be a Sony mid to upper class like I have now and Malo comments above. At the time after careful , careful measuring I was good with the 65 but now that its there, think maybe I would have liked to squeeze a 70 or 75 in there, not a big deal but my next set in about 5 years will be a 70 or 75 and it will be a Sony as long as our current Sony keeps living up to our very high standards.
My wife, thinks it fits perfect and it does, its just me, always looking for something to buy *L*

I assume, maybe in my lifetime TV displays will be holograms instead of screens, we will see. As far as sound quality, that is almost last on my list. I do not expect what I consider quality sound from tiny speaker inside a panel that is less then 2 inches thick. So all that is required from any manufacturer is decent voice quality for newscasts or sitcoms.

My system pictured in my post above can blow the doors off anything you hear in a theater and its only modestly powered, like an engine, there is no replacement for well made speaker components and displacement.

Last edited:
In the future? We have been in the future for almost 100 years. About 80 years ago, someone might have made the same comment you did (except about the book) when 5 inch televisions came out, along with 9 inch and the super sized 12 inch was the largest.
Move forward about 50 years when 25 inch was the standard large screen. I am sure the vast majority do not want to go back to those old days.
Well the book was published in 1953 so I'm not really talking about the last 100 just stuff since then.

I have been in the market for a new 65 inch for about 3 months. I am an avid reader of https://www.reddit.com/r/4kTV/ and i also go to rtings and avsforum

Here is where I am with the process.

Hisense- H9G- amazing picture at the cost of panel lottery and longevity.
TCL R635- amazing picture at the cost of panel lottery and longevity.
Sony X900H- good panel, great longevity at the cost of poorer blacks and brightness
Sony 950H - great panel, better blacks and brighter

- Panel Lottery means one tv may have a great panel while the next one a sub par.. i guess where they sub out the panels some are great some are good some are poor.

The best review i have seen on the Sony 900 vs the 950 is-

"If all your interested is in the “better” LCD for viewing movies and tv shows you would choose the 950H.

If your interested in good viewing of TV shows/movies and gaming is your hobby than buy the 900H. "

I have to convince myself that its $500 better..

You must be thinking of those crappy 4K projectors. You should go to the dump and get you a nifty works-in-a-drawer Color TV for free.
Nah. Got a 75" Hisense 75H8G being delivered tomorrow. Comcast just finished installing the new HD boxes....including 3 wireless ones( does not need cable...RG6 connection) which I never knew existed until yesterday. Setting up my home theater system after 5 years of a soundbar.

Best Buy delivered the Hisense 75H8G today. Spent 30 minutes watching various programs. Its being returned....paid $ 200more for the 75" TCL ULED. Must have gat a bad Hisense. Picture was awful, blurred blotchy...I get that you need to tweak them but they shouldn't look as bad as this one did out of the box. It was a 10 minute phone call to Best Buy...they come get it and drop off the new one.

stay away from LG.

Our $950+ LG TV lasted just over 3 years and iirc the warranty was either 1 or 3 years. TV started flashing on/off.

customer service was non-existent. I thought they may offer a discounted repair or something.

bought a Samsung from Costco that comes with 3 Yr + additional 2 Yr warranty by Costco. Much cheaper and much better quality.

I have LG monitors that are very old and still working but I would never buy another LG mainly because you couldn't even get to the right customer service. I think they transferred me several times back to the original number in India I think.

Another co-worker had major issue with LG fridge but unfortunately we already had a LG fridge before all this. lol

Back