New TV

Looking at a new LED 65 inch TV. Noticed the refresh rates vary from 60 to 240. I do watch sports and wonder if a refresh rate of 60 is OK? Ed

According to RTINGS, broadcast TV is usually 30-60Hz, with things like movies being 24Hz. Watching 24, 30, or 60Hz stuff on a 120hz tv will give you that soap opera effect you may or may not like. For sports you want a low response time to minimize motion blur, refresh rate doesn’t effect response time.

Most every modern TV is OK.

A bigger question is do you have Video content that can take advantage Of the increased refresh?

Usually games are about it for high refresh. OTA benefits more from a better looking set (Better color, better black balance, etc)

Though there is some limited content That can use the higher refresh the old “picture quality “ metric is more important.

Gotta find which one looks best to you

I recently read that Hisense is making some highly rated big screen TV's lately. Built in Chromecast to boot! Priced very reasonably for screens up to 75 inches!
I have a Hisense in our guest room and it has a great picture. Hooked right up to our WiFi without issue.

Sony X950H. Excellent upscaling for cable/streaming and motion is also excellent with the X1 Ultimate processor.
I have the X950G from 2019 with the same processor. Much better than the LG B8 oled I have when used for sports and
cable/streaming (Roku)

We have a Sony X 900H from Best Buy which is now a year older model from the 950 I believe. Extremely happy with it. Even though like all TVs it has built-in Wi-Fi we choose to use our 4K Roku player and over the air antenna and recorder.

Like Alarmguy I use a Roku and an antenna. I don`t use any pay channels on my Roku. My Tv is an Panasonic Plasma TV and it works fine and has held up well. Not sure how old it is.

Just ordered a Hisense 75" H8G from Best Buy. Bought a 65" base model Hisense last year and found the picture to be excellent. That one was the Roku OS which I like. The new 75" is Android OS which, on a TV is new to me. I have a Roku 4 box I can plug into it though.

My first 4K T.V. a couple years ago was a 55" Insignia (Best Buy house brand).
It was so much better then the 10 year old non 4K Sony I was very happy with it.
The Insignia went bad and Best Buy could not fix it do to a shortage of parts per their 30 day repair or replace policy.They said bring it back and get a new one.
I decided to take the credit and pay a bit more to upgrade to a Samsung 4K.
The Samsung was so much better then the Insignia.
Bottom line is buy the most expensive model you can afford.
As you go up in price everything about the T.V. gets better.
Next stop for me is Oled.

My first 4K T.V. a couple years ago was a 55" Insignia (Best Buy house brand).
It was so much better then the 10 year old non 4K Sony I was very happy with it.
The Insignia went bad and Best Buy could not fix it do to a shortage of parts per their 30 day repair or replace policy.They said bring it back and get a new one.
I decided to take the credit and pay a bit more to upgrade to a Samsung 4K.
The Samsung was so much better then the Insignia.
Bottom line is buy the most expensive model you can afford.
As you go up in price everything about the T.V. gets better.
Next stop for me is Oled.

Depends. Marginal price increases might net stuff like more inputs or perhaps more features. Pretty much all TVs are smart TVs these days with built-in capability to connect to the internet and run streaming apps. However, I think the support for apps are better with the big names like Samsung, LG, or Sony. Not sure how well Hisense, Vizio, TCL, etc. work with regards to smart TV apps.

I spent less than $400 on a 55" that I'm perfectly happy with. The only thing I'm worried about is total dependence on the remote. I know I can program a universal remote in a pinch, but it won't be an exact match with some buttons that are needed to access certain features.

I could have spent twice as much on the same size with great features, but I didn't really need that.

According to RTINGS, broadcast TV is usually 30-60Hz, with things like movies being 24Hz. Watching 24, 30, or 60Hz stuff on a 120hz tv will give you that soap opera effect you may or may not like. For sports you want a low response time to minimize motion blur, refresh rate doesn’t effect response time.

I have always wondered what caused this. My parents TV does this and while it does not drive me bananas it is distracting. This is good to know for future TV purchases.

Depends. Marginal price increases might net stuff like more inputs or perhaps more features. Pretty much all TVs are smart TVs these days with built-in capability to connect to the internet and run streaming apps. However, I think the support for apps are better with the big names like Samsung, LG, or Sony. Not sure how well Hisense, Vizio, TCL, etc. work with regards to smart TV apps.

I spent less than $400 on a 55" that I'm perfectly happy with. The only thing I'm worried about is total dependence on the remote. I know I can program a universal remote in a pinch, but it won't be an exact match with some buttons that are needed to access certain features.

I could have spent twice as much on the same size with great features, but I didn't really need that.
People should buy a TV for the display (picture) quality only. Forget apps, forget "smart" TVs as that is nothing but marketing for dollars.
Why on earth would anyone buy a TV based on what Apps or system it runs on?
Seems crazy to make a decision to buy a TV, spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a device that cost $50 that will connect you to the internet. Not only that, the $50 device will work far BETTER then ANYTHING that comes built in with the TV.
We have a $1600 Sony 4k. I do not connect it to the internet. I do not use any of the built in system. I plug in a 4 k Roku player with the latest and greatest hardware and software.
The system that comes with a TV is completely free to the TV maker, cost pennies to include it. You can buy your own system for a few dollars to up to a whole $100 and it is far, far superior.

Moral of the story is, if a $200 TV makes you happy or a $8000 TV makes you happy buy your own device to stream and connect to the internet. it will be a far better experience. ANY Roku player at any price beats anything built into a TV,

Last edited:
I have a $140, 10 year old Insignia 1080p panel in the bedroom 40''. Originally picked up open box at best buy.

I have a $280 changhong 1080p panel in the living room 49'', 7 years old, from NewEgg.

For what we watch I couldn't tell the difference between that and a hole in the wall.

We use firesticks now, previously we used Roku.

Reactions: JC1
People should buy a TV for the display (picture) quality only. Forget apps, forget "smart" TVs as that is nothing but marketing for dollars.
Why on earth would anyone buy a TV based on what Apps or system it runs on?
Seems crazy to make a decision to buy a TV, spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a device that cost $50 that will connect you to the internet. Not only that, the $50 device will work far BETTER then ANYTHING that comes built in with the TV.
We have a $1600 Sony 4k. I do not connect it to the internet. I do not use any of the built in system. I plug in a 4 k Roku player with the latest and greatest hardware and software.
The system that comes with a TV is completely free to the TV maker, cost pennies to include it. You can buy your own system for a few dollars to up to a whole $100 and it is far, far superior.

Moral of the story is, if a $200 TV makes you happy or a $8000 TV makes you happy buy your own device to stream and connect to the internet. it will be a far better experience. ANY Roku player at any price beats anything built into a TV,

I use the smart TV features built in to my Samsung (couple years old) and I have no problems watching Prime,Netflix,Hulu and Disney.
What advantage would Roku give me?

This is 2020 and hertz game is pretty much meaningless today. Today's TV's have much faster CPU's and don't have the issues of flat panel TV's from who knows, 4+ years ago unless you buy the cheapest TV you can find.

What matters the most is built in sound quality if you don't use a soundbar.
The majority of flat panel TV's don't have good sound quality, but a few do.

My high end Sony has horrible built in sound quality which forced me to buy a soundbar and accompanying subwoofer.
My LG has a built in subwoofer at the rear of the TV and does great.

I use the smart TV features built in to my Samsung (couple years old) and I have no problems watching Prime,Netflix,Hulu and Disney.
What advantage would Roku give me?
Someone else will answer better than me. Always felt built-ins were a bit like buying a laptop. I have a small box computer. Screen or keyboard craps out I get another one. My ROKU box craps out, I get another one. So far my ROKU's have not lasted as long as my TV's. Now if a built in ROKU in a smart TV can be easily bypassed by a replacement box then there's no reason not to buy one.

This is 2020 and hertz game is pretty much meaningless today. Today's TV's have much faster CPU's and don't have the issues of flat panel TV's from who knows, 4+ years ago unless you buy the cheapest TV you can find.

What matters the most is built in sound quality if you don't use a soundbar.
The majority of flat panel TV's don't have good sound quality, but a few do.

My high end Sony has horrible built in sound quality which forced me to buy a soundbar and accompanying subwoofer.
My LG has a built in subwoofer at the rear of the TV and does great.

My Samsung has decent built in speakers that we used.
I saw no reason to buy a sound bar.
My son upgraded to a full blown surround sound system and gave us his high end Samsung sound bar with wireless sub woofer.
The built in speakers are not even close in sound quality to the sound bar as expected.
I'm glad he upgraded his system.

Back