New TSB involving the Toyota 1.8 engine and EaOs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may work

Essentially it appears that the EaO09, EaO10, and EaO57 do not have the capacity to handle the sludge production over the prescribed 25,000 mile recommended limits.

The holding capacity is max'd out before that time/mileage. It is recommended that whatever filter you choose, that it be changed at the specified OEM recommended change interval.

I interpret it as they're not going to figure out what the limits are in terms of functional duration.

I imagine that it's all due to the highly variable service that may be encountered over a years time. The combo can't work out in all situations.

What I'd wish they would do is cite the situations/cases that they encountered in their investigations. It would be preferred to static TSB's that just say "don't use it anymore".

I need, "the condition arose where several customers were in .....etc..etc."

I can't answer questions in an authoritative manner.

The 1ZZ-FE engine that I guess is the subject of this TSB (there is a new 1.8 engine staring in 2009 models) is not known for sludge. It's not new as it was around since 1998 (with gradual changes). It's not bullet proof and known as oil burner between 1998-2002. How do we know that the problem was not low oil level?
The oil filters for 1ZZ-FE are very small, but I don't see how they would plug up? Unless someone started using amsoil in neglected engine?
BTW, this is badly written document with little meaningful info.

Thanks Gary for posting...
thumbsup2.gif

IMO this just proves that Amsoil is watching out for it's customers and admits when it's product will not stand up to their guarantee in some applications.
grin2.gif

it also seems to mean that bulletproof toyota has another dud, at least in some situations, and unfortunately it is in the area that is really their forte - good 4-cyl engines that should run super clean and really last.

They could do it in the 2.4 in our previa, why can't they do it in the newer design 1.8?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
The 1ZZ-FE engine that I guess is the subject of this TSB (there is a new 1.8 engine staring in 2009 models) is not known for sludge. It's not new as it was around since 1998 (with gradual changes). It's not bullet proof and known as oil burner between 1998-2002. How do we know that the problem was not low oil level?
The oil filters for 1ZZ-FE are very small, but I don't see how they would plug up? Unless someone started using amsoil in neglected engine?
BTW, this is badly written document with little meaningful info.

That is what I was wondering.. What 1.8l ? The new one or the old one?

I agree that 1zzfe is NOT known for sludge and I doubt the new one is so I wonder what is going on?

I do know that when I ran a 9k oci I did have some issues and changing the filter lessened some noise but changing the oil and filter again less than 1k miles later eliminated the issues completely and they have not returned in 50k miles afterward.

Interesting...

And I agree with;
Originally Posted By: StevieC
IMO this just proves that Amsoil is watching out for it's customers and admits when it's product will not stand up to their guarantee in some applications.

One size does not fit all!

Thanks Gary for posting.. I'd love to find out what really is going on...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
it also seems to mean that bulletproof toyota has another dud, at least in some situations, and unfortunately it is in the area that is really their forte - good 4-cyl engines that should run super clean and really last.

They could do it in the 2.4 in our previa, why can't they do it in the newer design 1.8?
That doesn't mean they have another engine that is a dud, because an oil filter won't last 25K Miles. It just means that the engine really takes a beating on the oil and requires that it be changed sooner.
smirk2.gif

My guess would be it's Toyota running the engine hotter for better fuel economy and/or emission reductions and is trading off extended oil life for it, knowing that most people in this market change their oil too frequently anyways. (3K Mile OCI's)

99% of people don't run the 25K Mile OCI's with a H.Q. Syn so why design an engine that can do it versus and engine that gets better economy or performance or whatever?

No wonder Toyota is losing sales share to Ford.
However it's my opinion we should never run oil or filter that long. Seems riskey.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Doesn't make sense from my personal experiences. I have two Tundras and they run the 057 filter. These engines, without timing chains to beat up the oil, are easy on oil. Look at the UOA's for these engines. Any filter within the application would work well. I have an 02 Corolla with a 1.8l motor that uses the 009 filter. 180k on the motor - quiet, doesn't burn or leak oil, 27 MPG mixed driving. I have a Rav4 and Scion TC that use the 010 filters with 2.4l motors. Many miles, no leaking, burning, great quiet motors. All the motors have always used Amsoil oil and filters. I do notice though that Mobil 1 filters spec one filter for both the 1.8 and 2.4 motors (like the larger 010). The 009 is alittle smaller than the 010. When the motors were under warranty, I change oil/filter at 5K. After warranty, I go with once a year oil changes, sometimes near 25k miles. Absolutely no problems. I had the valve covers off on a Tundra at 200K to check the valve clearance. Perfect clearances, absolutely no sludge, none at all. Very pleased...

Based on this ... I wouldn't use an Ea filter and run to Amsoil's OCI recommendation on any engine that wasn't like new inside. I don't see why Toyota engines would produce way more sludge contaminates than most others on the road.

Maybe Amsoil went outside the actual operational envelope of this filter on some vehicles.
wink.gif

Quote:
Doesn't make sense from my personal experiences.

Nor with mine. I've used an EaO57 for nearly 20k miles over 4 OCI's

Quote:
Maybe Amsoil went outside the actual operational envelope of this filter on some vehicles.
wink.gif

WINK WINK, Soupaboosah.

I'd say that these filters on these engines can't go 25k due to these engines, in too many cases, producing an inordinate amount of filterable material.

They appear to work fine on other less "soiling" engines WINK WINK
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
LOL.gif

Let's just say the combination just didn't work out and leave it at that. Stuff happens...

Originally Posted By: glenncof
LOL.gif

Let's just say the combination just didn't work out and leave it at that. Stuff happens...
Oh no.. Let's blame Amsoil's EAO filter!
grin2.gif

That's it I'm now calling Amsoil's filters the Black-Can-O-Death and putting them in the same category as Fram and their Orange-Can-O-Death.
smirk2.gif

Quote:
Doesn't make sense from my personal experiences.

Nor with mine. I've used an EaO57 for nearly 20k miles over 4 OCI's

Quote:
wink.gif

WINK WINK, Soupaboosah.

I'd say that these filters on these engines can't go 25k due to these engines, in too many cases, producing an inordinate amount of filterable material.

LOL.gif

WINK WINK ... I'd say that these Toyota engines are NOT the only ones on the road that might produce "inordinate amounts of filterable material". Get it? ...
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

That's it I'm now calling Amsoil's filters the Black-Can-O-Death and putting them in the same category as Fram and their Orange-Can-O-Death.
smirk2.gif

LOL.gif
... guess if they load up and fully clog, then they could very well become the "Black-Can-O-Death".
shocked2.gif
banana2.gif

I've stuffed the PH3600 on a bunch of Camry's and Corolla's.
I wonder if the EA034(is that the PH3600 size) will make the 25k interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back