New Truimph Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting a big cruiser motorcycle. I am just getting older and I live in the "Land of Motorcycles". I ve always been a dirt biker and enduro type of guy. I ll still have my Little Yamaha DT175 two stroker. I gave my son my Kawasaki KLR 650 when he moved out and I thought of buying another one of them. But I thought maybe it was time for a cruiser with my wife. I went to look at bikes this weekend. I really liked the Triumph Thunderbird. I like the parallel twins, the way the cylinders are configured to get more air flow. I like it is water cooled. Only thing I would like better is shaft drive, but belts seem to be the craze now. Like the single oil system and I hear its easy to change and access the filter. I am not even sure what oil they take. I am thinking a 15w40. Anyway these big machines are new to me. What's the word on Triumph motorcycles are they good as their reputation? The reviews look good on it. Not sure if I want to deal with cleaning all that chrome. Guess I ll get into it, eventually.

Triumph is very good IMO. I don't own one but ride with people that have them and they are dependable, fit & finish & chrome is pretty and holds up in Michigan unlike some other brands.

I have a 2011 Thunderbird 1600 ABS. Excellent machine. Very smooth lots of power and very nimble for an 800lb bike.

It has a 6 qt sump and takes Castrol RT 10w50 or Mobil1 4T 10w40 or either in 20w50. I like the 10w50. When you change the oil you get out 5 quarts at a time and the filter is easy too. I use a Purolator MC rated or a Fram MC. The coolant is 2.8 quarts of Triumph HOAT or Zerex G05 change every 2-3 years.

My bike is stock except for a Corbin 2 up seat and HID headlight and new ice reflector inside the factory headlight bucket. If you get one tighten all the coolant hoses as they don't come real tight and some guys get leaks.

The bike has a self tuning "adaption mode" that you can tune yourself once broken in. Do first OCI at 500 miles. Your engine will make all kinds of really weird noises during break in and then at about 800-1000 miles they disappear.

Brakes are excellent. Take one for a test ride.

When you buy a motorcycle, consider the fact you will need service sometime.
Where is the dealer to get service, are they reasonable in labor rates, how often will it require service, and how well does it hold its value, how difficult are parts to get, can you do some of your own service if so inclined, and a host of others.

Good luck on your selection.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
When you buy a motorcycle, consider the fact you will need service sometime.
Where is the dealer to get service, are they reasonable in labor rates, how often will it require service, and how well does it hold its value, how difficult are parts to get, can you do some of your own service if so inclined, and a host of others.

Good luck on your selection.

I seriously would try to find a "Triumph only" dealer! Around here, there are too way too many muti-brand dealerships... one sells Kubota,Suzuki,Honda,Kawasaki,Polaris,Yahmaha,artic cat, ALL ON THE SAME SHOW ROOM, they don't have a good selection of any of the brands, all competing for floor space, crazy.... their service dept. is "works on many, master at NONE".

If I had a motorcycle, I would be the only one who works on it, UNLESS I can find a dedicated dealer with "Truimph Trained and certified" techs.

All the local dealerships around here, DO NOT have factory trained techs. They have those kids who just graduated from "generic motorcycle school" When someone else works on your bike, they can make a mistake, and kill you.

If I was going bike shopping today my first stop would be a triumph dealer.
The triples are an animal unlike anything I've ever ridden however I don't know what the aftermarket is like as far as being able to customize their bikes.

I had an 1100!Yamaha v-star 5 or so years ago. It had strong aftermarket support so if you wanted to change a few things you could.
Victory on the other hand though I liked the bikes there was 0 aftermarket support.
Then of course there's Harley which I currently have a street Bob. I've got the bike built exactly perfect so for me to even consider a different bike isn't going to happen. They are expensive however today's Harley is reliable,cheap to maintain if you can wrench yourself and with such a vast aftermarket no 2 bikes will be the same.
I think Vic has some aftermarket support now. They are a well designed and put together bike however if I was shopping today for a bike I'd be looking long and hard at triumph first.
The twins are decent. Shaft drives aren't common anymore. My v-star was and at higher speeds vibrated. My Harley is the opposite. Once your moving it is smooth as silk.
I've also got a Yamaha venture I'm putting together. Runs great bit I need misc small stuff. The 1100 v-4 has great power.
Look at the Honda sport bagger. It's a flat 6,integrated hard bags. A very well designed,powerful bike that is a great handler.

I love my 1996 Speed Triple; great to ride and you don't see yourself coming and going...

Have a 2011 Triumph Speedmaster and love it. I had one issue with it in 5 years of ownership. And that issue was taken care of by Triumph, even after being out of warranty a year.

The fit and finish on the bikes is very good. Reliability is close to the Japanese makes from what I am seeing and experiencing. And they seem to retain their value pretty well. You often do not see many used ones around here, not until they are pretty worn out. Tells me something, the people that buy them tend to keep them and ride them.

I had a 2002 SpeedTriple and a 2004 Thruxton. The triple was fun and fast but mine had a few efi issues (Triumph canned that Sagem system for Keihin in...2005? or so so that is no longer a concern) The Thruxton was a beautiful motorcycle and very fun to ride. I did track days on it, that engine can take a beating!

Triumph doesn't make a bike that I wouldn't consider owning.

I just picked up a 2013 Rocket Roadster a couple weeks ago. Very nice bike...like the others are saying, the build quality is amazing, and performance is right up there with any of the makes. I don't think you'll regret your decision if you decide to get one...

Ok, so I bought one. I found a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird with 3,000 miles and all the accessories I wanted. Windshield, saddlebags, crash bars. Thing is like new. Old guy traded it one a Gold Wing (Probably the story they tell everyone). Really though it doesn't have a scratch or a chip on it. I crawled underneath and around it like a snake. It looks super clean. Fresh oil change. I got it for $7600 out the door with tax/title. It started pouring rain so I left it at the dealer. I told him I will come back and get it. Cant wait to ride it.

thumbsup2.gif
11.gif
Rule Britannia!!!

I don't think you'll regret your purchase. I had a 2011 Tiger 1050 I put 46k miles on with no issues. I traded it for a new Speed Triple a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Ok, so I bought one. I found a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird with 3,000 miles and all the accessories I wanted. Windshield, saddlebags, crash bars. Thing is like new. Old guy traded it one a Gold Wing (Probably the story they tell everyone). Really though it doesn't have a scratch or a chip on it. I crawled underneath and around it like a snake. It looks super clean. Fresh oil change. I got it for $7600 out the door with tax/title. It started pouring rain so I left it at the dealer. I told him I will come back and get it. Cant wait to ride it.

Congrats on the new bike. I really wish we had a Triumph dealer reasonably close. My wife is glad we don't.

Ride Safe!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Congrats on the new ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back