New trucks, summer 2021, spend my money!

It's looking likely that my 1500 6.2 max tow crew cab will sell in the near future, for a high price, because that is the market now. I'd like to have more towing and payload, so i'm thinking of an HD truck. I need to decide if i want to order brand new and utilize a dealer to do an in and out trade in sale where i can keep the sales tax value of my current truck. This would save me about $2700 to just order something now but would put me in the current market of paying full MSRP minus any dealer incentives at time of delivery. 3+ months for an order if not longer, and im okay with that.

First question, would you take the $2700 tax savings in lieu of maybe possibly getting a discount on the truck in the future?

2nd question, how much truck should i buy?

Considering a 2500 GMC SLE 4x4 6.6 Gas model, its relatively cheap, and would do 14.5k conventional tow and 3.7k payload. This would give me plenty of headroom for towing a normal travel trailer or lighter 5th wheel. I own no RV as of yet. Seems like these new 6.6 gas will do anywhere from about 8 mpg towing to maybe 16 mpg unloaded. Cheap regular gas, no DEF, no diesel emissions. I'd go regular bed, check some options, and pay about $56k.

2nd Truck: Ford F450, wait for 2022, likely at least a Lariat, big money. The F450 wide track front axle makes it turn sharp and the capabality is unrivaled at 24k conventional and 30 something thousand 5th wheel towing. Cons would be the cost, diesel expenses, rougher ride than a 2500 gas model. Seems like people towing heavy are getting 9 mpg, and 14-15 unloaded. There would never be a question of if i could tow that or not with an F450 and it would not likely ever need to be upgraded/replaced.

Also considering a Cummins dually and GMC dually diesel option. Chevy HD is out because its just too ugly.

Also considering Super Duty 7.3L gas.

It wont be daily driven and will likely see about 5k miles per year for recreational purposes, buy a camper, ect. The diesel math doesn't pencil out but i'd like the extra power and range. Choosing Diesel costs about 10k, plus tax, plus interest, or about $11.5k over the life of the loan. There's not a hard and fast budget but whatever i don't spend i can make good returns in the market on.

If you're not going to be running it hard/heavy tow load, no reason to get diesel. The new 7.3l is a monster, I would probably pick it over the GM 6.6l if all things were equal but I do love how the new GMC trucks look like.

One great advantage on the Ford 7.3l is you can get a 48 gallon tank on the long beds. Sure, it might get 1 mpg less than the direct injected GMC, but 48 gallons will get her done.

I’d get the F-450 so you can get whatever RV you’d like down the road or upgrade after your first RV to a larger RV without having to get another truck. Of course, I’m spending your money so it’s easy for me!

I’m in Missouri so we get a sales tax credit whether we trade to a dealer or sell it ourselves to be used within 6 months. I’m in a similar situation with my Raptor but don’t know what, if anything I like will be available within that 6 month timeframe if I were to sell it today. Don’t want to miss out on the $5600 in sales tax I’d get back.

Yeah truck shopping right now is just place your orders and wait. Nothing on lots to look at in person. I could live without a truck for a long time if i thought we will be getting back to the good old days with big incentives again. I remember seeing some loaded RAMs with like $18k off back when things were normal.

From a pure capabilities standpoint, the Ford 7.3 gas is best-in-class in the segment. But there are obviously other factors to consider.

I wouldn't go diesel, but, are you going to be 5 and done? At 5k per year it would be low mileage when done, and would the diesel option pay for itself--while not being a pain, since so few miles?

I don't think i could do very bad on resale ordering a 2021-2022 gas HD truck now and someday trading into a diesel if wanted. There are very few used gas HDs on the market today and they are of course going for stupid prices. If i spent the $56k, saved the tax money, put a few years and low miles on it, i don't think i would lose much trading. Imagine what a 25k mile GMC 2500 SLE from 2016 would sell for in this market.

My F250 is a great truck. But a solid front axle does not provide a luxury ride. Even with Blistein shocks and steering stabilizer.
This is a great point. The GMC IFS front end would be comfortabler.

I am seriously considering a 7.3L Superduty as well at some point. I currently own an Ecoboost F150, live at 6500', and tow a travel trailer all around the rockies. The Ecoboost pulls like a locomotive, especially compared to other engines at this elevation. The problem is it does not stay cool.

My mother-in-law got a Class C motorhome on an E450 chassis and it has a derated version of the Superduty's 7.3L. I think its 350hp and 464 ft-lbs, both at 3900 rpm. It also has the old 6 speed instead of the new 10 speed in the superduty. I got to drive it for 4 hours two weekends ago and I can assure you that thing is a monster. The motorhome was probably 13000+ lbs loaded and is very tall, and it had zero issue with me setting the cruise control to 75mph and pushing through a head wind in Wyoming. It would just chug along in 6th most of the time but I don't believe it ever dropped below 4th.

I think my Ecoboost MIGHT might be a little stronger below 3000 rpm, but not by much. At sea level the 7.3L would be stronger as I was driving it at 7-8000'. My ecoboost also dealing with around 13000 lbs I believe when hooked up but my trailer is a lot shorter than the Class C so it might have some less aero drag.

The Superduty version with the 10 speed transmission and 4.30 axle would be a great tow rig.

Compared to the GM 6.6L gas V8, the 7.3L seems to be hands down stronger towing. I am also not convinced that GM's does any better on MPG's. If you look at Fuelly, the Ford actually is doing a bit better in the MPG department.

Last edited:
Another gripe on the 7.3l ford, they want over $2k extra for the 7.3. That is 20% of the way to a diesel and you know that powerstroke will be worth $8k more at resale.

This is a great point. The GMC IFS front end would be comfortabler.
Slightly. It's still a rough ride. Buddy of mine went from a 2006 2500 Duramax to a 2013 3500 Dually 'Max and now onto a 2017 1500 LTZ and another friend has a 250 6.7l PS. Wew.

Another gripe on the 7.3l ford, they want over $2k extra for the 7.3. That is 20% of the way to a diesel and you know that powerstroke will be worth $8k more at resale.
It's not just the upfront cost of the diesel engine either though. There's oil, fuel filters, DEF, etc. to factor in as well. My buddy with the 250 6.7l PS hates oil change time lmao

Are you sure an F450 is enough? How about an F550 and fitting it with a $8K bed?

It's not just the upfront cost of the diesel engine either though. There's oil, fuel filters, DEF, etc. to factor in as well. My buddy with the 250 6.7l PS hates oil change time lmao
Yeah those costs cut into the fuel savings. You still ultimately save money but anything serious going wrong outside of warranty and all that savings and more is lost.

The gas HD would be, theoretically, extremely reliable.

Yeah those costs cut into the fuel savings. You still ultimately save money but anything serious going wrong outside of warranty and all that savings and more is lost.

The gas HD would be, theoretically, extremely reliable.
Aye.

Are you sure an F450 is enough? How about an F550 and fitting it with a $8K bed?

:oops:
Exclusive lifetime powertrain warranty included for no additional charge excludes commercial use.

Back