new truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello new to board have been reading posts for awhile very interesting stuff. My question is about the 5w20 vs 10w30 debate. Just got a new ford truck and would like to know if the lighter oil will be alright here in our 110 degree phoenix summers. I Tow a 4500 lb rv a couple of times a month. I have a older 1998 ford product that I also use have been using M1 10w30 with good results. Thanks for the replies

This is something I too have struggled with, although Kentucky summers usually top out in the upper 90's. There is some question concerning Ford denying a warranty claim if you don't use the 5w20. I decided to use Castrol GTX because it is a bit thicker than some other 5w20's, but any of the better oils which specifically state that they meet the Ford 5w20 spec will do. If you decide to stay with a 5w20, 3,000 miles should be the most you go between oil changes. I will swith over to a 30 wt. when my warranty expires.
welcome.gif

Mikarhill, maybe you can clarify this for me; does the owner's manual say 5W-20 and only 5W-20, or does it give you permission to use heavier oil under severe service, which I think 100+ degrees and towing qualifies for. I would go with the heaviest synthetic the owners manual allows. If you can run Mobil 1 15W-50, that would seem ideal.

I wouldn't use it. I would go to the store that I regularly buy from and purchase the 5W stuff. Then I would return it and exchange it for the 10W-30 stuff. I would have the receipt and the 10W-30 oil.

welcome.gif

Al, that's funny! And probably a good idea.

My wife just got a Mazda MPV and if your truck manual is like MPV it ONLY shows 5w20. The MPV has a Ford Duratech 3.0l V6. No optional oils with different temp ranges are specified. My new B4000 only allows 5w30, again no other oil listed. I think if you read here people are having good results with this oil. Apparently it is very high quality and will hold up. I don't know about your truck but the MPV specifies severe duty oil change interval of 5000 miles and light duty of 7500. I think the spec for Motorcraft states that the oil must go 6000 miles. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Either way I may go 4000 to be safe as I don't plan to test regularly like some do here. I figure the cost of testing would be offset by changing at 4000 instead of 5000. JMO.

Again, Ford has for years not given any options on oil use. No charts and bars related to temps. One grade is recommended only. From model year '97 to 2001, the recommended oil grade was 5w30. After it, is 5w20. No exceptions are made in the owners manual.

That being said, no changes were made to the engines between 2001 and 2002. 5w20 is also listed as backwards compatible in these engine applications in a TSB.

What that means to me is:
5w30 or 5w20 will work fine in these engines, no questions asked.

10w30 will work fine in warmer climates, which yours certainly qualifies as.

If you are towing, you are on the severe service schedule, which calls for 3,000 mile oil changes.

I'm sure the 5w20 will work fine in that short of an interval, even in the heat. If your nervous, the Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 are also good choices. Service intervals could be extended with analysis.

nicrfe1370 all the manual states must meet ford specs. It also does'nt state when you can start towing I thought with other fords I've owned it said wait 500 miles. I will have about 1000 before first trip will change fact oil at 500 although sill not sure which oil to use. Would i be alright using moble 1 at the first change? I will be going on a long trip out of this 111 deg heat that was temp in phoenix yesterday. Thanks for the advice

quote:

Originally posted by mikarhill:
Hello new to board have been reading posts for awhile very interesting stuff. My question is about the 5w20 vs 10w30 debate. Just got a new ford truck and would like to know if the lighter oil will be alright here in our 110 degree phoenix summers. I Tow a 4500 lb rv a couple of times a month. I have a older 1998 ford product that I also use have been using M1 10w30 with good results. Thanks for the replies

The answer to your question is that nobody knows the answer! Most of us are leery of 5W-20 in engines like yours, especially in hot weather and under heavy load.

How long do you plan on keeping your truck? Just a few years? Probably no problem. 'Til the wheels fall off? You may...or may not...have increased engine wear with the light oil.

Ford did give the oil a tough spec, WSS-M2C153-H, which is harder to meet than the usual 5W-30, etc., oils. So, it is better oil while it is lighter oil.

Me?...I'd use the 5W-20 plus a bottle of Schaeffer's #132 E.P. Oil Treatment, at least for the duration of the engine warranty period. Or, as suggested, do a double-switch and actually install a top quality 10W-30 or even 15W-40 oil for your towing season.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/132.html

Ken

I think it really comes down to that **** warranty situation. If you don't use the Ford spec'd oil then they can possibly deny warranty work for "oil related" problems with the engine. And surprise surprise the only grades that meet this spec are xW-20 weight oils, and maybe not all of them I believe. Having said that maybe since you are in a "hot" climate and towing check with your Ford dealer and see what they use or recommend, maybe it's not the Ford spec'd 5W-20. Although compared to a dino 5W-30 I think that Ford believes their new 5W-20 spec'd oil is better. This of course does not apply to 5W-30 true synthetics. Also, perhaps with the Ford OHC engines the 10W-30 oil might not be the best oil to prevent wear at start-ups versus 5W-30. So many questions so little time.
gr_eek2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back