New truck......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good looking truck. what kind of MPGs do you expect to get with this? Seems like it could get pricey keeping gas in it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I think 4.7's sludge-up more in the cold weather with short trip driving. Moisture condenses off the plastic valve covers and mixes with the oil.

With all your highway driving, there should be no issues whatsoever.....

The "sludge" the 4.7 has in the plastic FILLER TUBE is just condensation that the [censored] small PCV valve didn't suck up. It's harmless. The valve covers are metal. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

Anyways I've heard of the 4.7 sludging up but I've NEVER seen it. The people that have had their 4.7 die from sludge probably do 8-10k dino changes. BUT the 4.7 is a GREAT motor. Yes the PCV valve is too small. It has great vacuum but the valve itself is too small. If that worries you you mod the PCV system. I also vote PP 5w30 and Motorcraft FL-1A filter or Napa Gold 1085 or 1515 filter.

Thanks guys. I ended up running Motorcraft 5w30 with a Mopar filter for the first run, which is now at 3200 miles. Currently at 3200 miles the oil has gotten darker but I can still easily see the hash marks and read the "full" and "low" marking on the dipstick, so no pitch black oil. I will change it out tonight at work with a full synthetic. My plan of action is to run the fill of full synthetic for 3000 miles with a filter change and top up in 1500 miles. If all goes well with that, follow up with full synthetic and 5000 mile changes. Given the sludge potential, would it be okay to run 5000 mile OCIs or should I stick to 3000?

Since I have bought this truck I have put a total of +/- 3800 miles on it. I also have a 2005 F150 to compare with, and as far as comfort, both creature and ride comforts, the Ram wins hands down. It is fun to drive, and yes I do love that factory exhaust sound on these. The Ram feels a little more powerful than the F150 but I think that may have a lot to do with the drive by wire system Ford thought was a good idea to put in their trucks. It takes my F150 a second or so to respond to throttle input. I average 17 mpg in the Ram mostly highway. Besides the ball joints I changed, I will also in the near future have to change the radiator as the design is poor. It has plastic end caps crimped onto the metal coils and it is dripping steadily out of one of those crimps, so I have to top up every so often. As of now it is turning out to be a good truck. I dont mind putting in the money I did as I expect that from any used vehicle. I have always liked Fords but I do enjoy this one.

Anyway, this is what will refill the crank case tonight:

1114090712a.jpg

Pretty much all vehicles have D-B-W, now. Same with the plastic radiator pieces. The DBW delay you mentioned along with numerous reported failures is why I wouldnt look at anything newer than 2004 when I bought my Vic.

Maybe all the PP fans are on to something. When started cold, the "Gray Goat" would make a piston slap type of noise for the first minute or so than it would go away. I am not sure if it did this with the oil that was drained with the first change, but it sure did it with the 5w30 Motorcraft semi syn. I started it up after work yesterday, cold, and did not hear it. At that time it was just a mental note I made to myself. I paid attention the next couple time it was started cold, and the sound is gone. Hmmmm, could an oil do that? The one drained and the PP put in was both 5w30. Same filter too.

Last edited:
Just a couple pics to show the truck since I bought it a year and a half ago:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjctMjAxMTAxMTgtMTE1OS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjktMjAxMTAxMTgtMTIwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjgtMjAxMTAxMTgtMTIwMC5qcGc.jpg

Magnaflow exhaust:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTAuanBn.jpg

Its a Dodge, of course the dash is cracking lol:

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDEuanBn.jpg

The dash is actually cracked a lot worse now. It now has almost 143,000 miles on it. None of the sludge I was concerned about originally ever manifested itself, it is on a steady diet of either Mobil 1 or PP 5w30, changed every 5,000 miles.

The only thing to fail suddenly is the radiator, to be fair though it has leaked since I bought the truck and I kept putting off changing it. I was at work when it happened and it was changed as soon as my shift ended. So I cant say it has ever stranded me anywhere. Always loving my Fords, I was a bit skeptical when I bought this, but it didnt take long to grow on me. I have taken it on several 1000 mile round trips to my dads house where it gets 18-20 mpgs always. My normal driving for work where it is used most is a steady 15 mpg average.

I have a leveling kit coming in for it, and a set of 33" all terrain tires will be about all else I will put in it. That and a cover for the dash when it does get bad enough.

Looks great man.
I'm a Dodge truck fan. Not sure why they get a bad rap. They are just as solid as a Ford or Chev as long as they are taken care of.
If I could afford to have a truck it would for sure be an 02-04 ish Dakota or a RAM of that generation.

Yeah, a name change is overdue anyhow Johnny. The 97 F-150 was traded 3 years ago on an 05 F-150, which my wife drives. Thanks for the comments guys, I'm pretty proud of her.

Okay guys, dragging this one up again. After having the rear end rebuilt, air conditioning compressor and misc components replaced, and heater core replaced in the last 10 months, the head gasket blew on me the other day. Rather then keep dumping money into it, we decided it was worth the investment to trade it off and buy something new for the wife, and I will take her 05 F150. A few pics of my 4.5 hour rainy day head gasket replacement:
d4376f00.jpg

8aaf37ee.jpg

da061ebf.jpg

And what the driveway looks like now:
84b769ed.jpg

Nevermind the guy who is spitting in the middle of the pic (my little brother- tan F150). I will get better pics when its light again and the rain slacks up. Just figured I would find this thread and update it again to close out my time with the 02 Ram 1500.

Keep an eye on the trans fluid, it will all end up in the transfer case eventually.. why? Because Ford! Not to be rude but why would the wife get the new truck? Does she wear the pants or something, Not being rude just Intersting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back