New truck......

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me anyway. Picked this up for $6k to replace the Sentra which I have long outgrown. This is now the vehicle that will be making the 142 mile a day round trip commute. 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, quad cab, SLT Sport package, 4.7 liter auto. It has 111,800 miles on it and needs ball joints (which I knew upon purchasing).

09-06-09_0350.jpg

09-06-09_0351.jpg

09-06-09_0353.jpg

09-06-09_0354.jpg

Body is in good condition. Aside from a small dent in the back bumper, this is the only other damage. No biggie, it is, after all, a work truck.:

09-06-09_0356.jpg

So....there it is. Due for an oil change. What oil and filter should I use? Sorry for peepee poor quality, I was at work and took these at night in the shop with my cell phone.

Last edited:
My co-worker's commute is 90 miles per day and he changed oil every 2 months. If you use M1EP, High Mileage or Rotella T Synthetic, you can make 3 months between OC.

Nice truck. Love the sound of the factory exhaust on Dodges.

Looks good. Should be a nice daily driver.

Around here, some parts stores and Wal-Marts carry Mopar filters. I'd just use those and whatever 5W30.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Interesting choice for a 142 mile per day commuter...

Yeah, I just have swagger like that.
19.gif
Actually, I have help with the fuel bill and will leave it at that.

Last edited:
My nephew has a 02 Ram and has lost two engines in it. Some of the problem may be his doings. Anyway I would use M1 5-30EP for that truck. Very good oil.

Thanks guys. I just bought the oil and filter. It will get a Mopar filter and PYB 5w30 this time. I dont believe I will go beyond dino with this truck. Maybe semi syn Motorcraft next time but I dont see myself spending $35 just on the oil.

Okay guys, I would like to retract my previous post about not spending bunches of money on oil. Research has told me that the 4.7 liter is a sludge monster so now I may run Royal Purple and kerosene in it and change every 2 weeks, and change the filter every week, LOL. Seriously though, I may step up to a full synthetic next change.

PP 5W30 and Motorcraft FL1A. Seriously, I pulled 7500 miles on a 2004 1500 with a 4.7L and this combo, with plenty to spare. That was running in Las Vegas, mostly highway. I believe it had room to go 10000.

I think 4.7's sludge-up more in the cold weather with short trip driving. Moisture condenses off the plastic valve covers and mixes with the oil.

With all your highway driving, there should be no issues whatsoever.....

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Okay guys, I would like to retract my previous post about not spending bunches of money on oil. Research has told me that the 4.7 liter is a sludge monster so now I may run Royal Purple and kerosene in it and change every 2 weeks, and change the filter every week, LOL.

Don't forget to put a quart of ATF in too.

In case of any sludge issues already there, I will run a 5w30 semi syn. for a couple oil changes before going to a full syn. 01rangerxl, ATF? I have heard of my dad doing something like that back in the 70-80s but have not heard it recently. I have always liked the look of the Ram pickup since the 1994 body style, and with the redesign in 2002 I looked at them a little harder. The current style is a turn off IMO.

I think it was tongue in cheek. Its an old trick for cleaning sludge but it really does not do anything. The idea was that ATF had more detergents. If that was true then I do not know, but it certainly is not true now.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
01rangerxl, ATF? I have heard of my dad doing something like that back in the 70-80s but have not heard it recently.

I was joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back