New truck soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never have fully recovered from having to get our minivan instead of the Nissan Titan I originally planned for. Don't get me wrong, I like the Quest. It's served our needs extremely well for the past 67K trouble free, GC enabled miles. But its time for a new truck.

Some remember the ongoing saga of my Toyota Tacoma. Had it off and on for 150K. It's seen sevice in both my Father-in-law's and my nephew's garages. Almost bomb-proof with next to nothing needing repair. But with the nearing expansion of the family, its time for something with a larger cab. Its cramped enough for 2 adults (I have to keep the bench seat pulled up close
grin.gif
). But try to include my son and his booster seat, ain't happenin'. Add another child and they would have to ride in the bed with the dog. Not gonna happen either.

So with the need for more room and something with fewer miles (not REALLY an issue with the 'yota), I'm now looking at the new Nissan Frontier. Crew cab and a long bed please. I love the Nissan VQ engine architecture and hear the 4.0 is a nice addition to the family. Considered the Titan again, but decided to stay with a "smaller" truck. Hoping to take the keys sometime late summer/early fall.

Anyone have one? How ya like it?

http://www.heritagechevrolet.com/index.c...ranchiseID=1493

Just an idea, but have you considered a Chevy? 4.3 gets great fuel mileage (probably better than Nissan compact truck). I think there is a $3500 rebate still in effect for the Silverado Classic, along with at least 1k negotiation. You'll be able to get that truck for under 20K easily. I had a Chevy van with the 4.3 automatic (don't forget a van has the aerodynamics of a brick) and it got 21 mpg on the highway and never less than 18 mpg combined city/highway. Never had any problem either. Have known people with the W/T series p/u with the 5 speed and they got around 24 mpg highway.

CC:

Per Chevy.com, the Silverado (just noticed I'm looking at the new model, not the "Classic") gets 17/21 with the 4.3L V-6 and 16/22 with the 5.3L V-6 ( See Specs Here, Chevrolet.com). This being the case, assuming one were going to get a Silverado, why would anyone opt for the V-6 instead of the V-8? I just saw one of the "new" Silverados in the flesh for first time this weekend, and they look much better "in person" than they do in the pictures (the fender flares, especially, are much more graceful than they look in photos). Anyway, aesthetics aside, why opt for the ancient 4.3?

Shorty, if this constitutes a "hi-jacking" my apologies -- hey, you're a LEO, you can just arrest us. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

^^^ The 4.3 is used mainly in the W/T models. I like the 4.3 because (as far as I know) still has cast iron heads and real world gas mileage is better than EPA estimates. I've known a few people with the W/T trucks that get close to 25 mpg highway. The Silverado Classics I've seen have the 4.3 in them. The V-8 engines cost a good bit more too, but can run on E-85 (if we ever get it).

Ek-no need to break out the cuffs just yet. Now, if you have some doughnuts......we'll just forget the whole thing
laugh.gif

Thanks for the replies. Never really gave a thought to the "domestics", I've had good luck with my "imports". I like the styling and features of the Silverado. Also, first time I actually like the interior in one of the big three. That and the absolutely nasty dealers around me have turned me off. May go wade through the #@$%! and have a look. As long as they don't insult me with the sticker price "add-ons", I'd hate to have to shoot one of them
grin.gif

Ryan-coworker has a new X as well. Definately a step-up from my 00, especially in the engine dept. Amazing what a difference .7 liters makes.

I have an 06 Frontier crew and absolutely love it. That VQ makes seemingly endless power. It makes quick work of short onramps. But...achieving the top EPA estimates requires a very light foot.

I didn't get the longbed, as I don't need it and the turning diameter would be even worse. I guess that's my biggest complaint - most parking attempts are of the 3-point variety. One other complaint I have (that doesn't really affect ME) is the rake angle of the back seat. It's nearly straight up and down and I'm sure wouldn't be comfortable for any adult on a long trip. My roommate's Ford Sport Trac is exactly the same overall length as my Frontier, but he has more rear seat room and a shorter bed. His rear seat is far more comfortable than mine. But kids may not even notice this.

Other than these two shortcomings, it's a really great truck. I got my 2wd Crew SE with ABLS and the power package for $21,500 and its worth every penny.

The Nissan is a nice truck but the newer Tacoma Double caabs are also very roomy. They are much wider inside than the previous gen. which I owned, I am also starting to see improvementws in fuel mileage up to 21 average from 19 when new. Better than the olde 3.4 got.
Test drive both teh Nissan and the Taco. It's nice to have alot of choices. as far as the silvy goes, My dad got one because it was ultra cheap and the 5.3 V8 is a nice engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back