New truck at 300 miles. Would you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If not driven “severe” … always the option of “severe” for a round or two before going long …

I'm sure that your owner's manual says something to the effect of changing your oil at one year and no longer than 10,000 miles going by your OLM. I would change the oil a year from the manufacturer date on the sticker and then go by miles or your OLM.

I changed the factory fill on my 2014 Mustang GT at one year by the manufacturer's date and had about 4,600 miles on the car. I change it once a year now since I don't put a whole lot of miles on the car a year. I use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and a Motorcraft filter.

Wayne

Follow the owners manual recommendation. Anything less is just somebody's "feelz" good opinion based on life long biases and dubious anecdotal experience.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Follow the owners manual recommendation. Anything less is just somebody's "feelz" good opinion based on life long biases and dubious anecdotal experience.

I will admit there is a bit of voo-doo mixed in with each person's practice & opinion yet that is what makes BITOG dynamic & entertaining 😉

With Ford's 5/60,000 warranty, I look at starting to change fluids (other than oil) right after the warranty runs out. That way you can't be accused of monkeying around in the internals, if a warranty issue comes up. It is decent mileage period to be looking at that stuff, anyway.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

I will admit there is a bit of voo-doo mixed in with each person's practice & opinion yet that is what makes BITOG dynamic & entertaining

Unfortunately, owners manual recommendations are often filled with marketing people's and lawyers' opinions, rather than unwashed engineering advice. While break in techniques may not be as necessary as they once were, at least particularly with certain engines back in the day, especially rebuilds, the primary issue is that a dealer and OEM don't want to be dealing with people's grousing about having a first OCI at 500 miles or 1000 miles or whatever arbitrary number.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Unfortunately, owners manual recommendations are often filled with marketing people's and lawyers' opinions, rather than unwashed engineering advice. While break in techniques may not be as necessary as they once were, at least particularly with certain engines back in the day, especially rebuilds, the primary issue is that a dealer and OEM don't want to be dealing with people's grousing about having a first OCI at 500 miles or 1000 miles or whatever arbitrary number.

I get the cut of your jib. The problem is there is way more data from fleet users showing excellent service life following OEM recommendation service intervals that anybody's modified truncated ones. Simple fact is way more goes into any vehicles failure than if some shortened service interval would have save it to begin with.

I am sure everybody has their case example that goes against following the OEM recommendations, but that is the exception and not the norm. In my younger and dumber years, I bought into the change early or go oversize with the filter and all it became was a mental feinting exercise for a warm fuzzy that was not based in any sound reasoning other than following what the next lemming was doing before they fell off the cliff.

Absolutely, and there are plenty of feel good exercises out there. I'm not into the idea of a bunch of elaborate break in procedures. Fleet experience, as you indicate, has shown otherwise, and not just recently. I still, however, don't feel it's a bad idea to get any excess debris out of the engine early. It may not add life across the board, but it certainly can help if something was done a little more lazily in the factory, like we see with the Vettes over the past couple years.

You bring in all Camry owners in for an oil change after 1,000 or 2,000 miles after delivery, and you'll hear a lot of grousing. You bring Vette owners in after the first 1,000 or 2,000 miles, and that could very well be two years after purchase. Even with OLMs, plenty of these guys are changing much earlier than that, anyhow, given the things kick off by time rather than mileage for people that drive them seasonally and even then only on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back