New truck at 300 miles. Would you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change the oil?

I was thinking about doing an oil change on my 2017 Ford F250 Superduty with the 6.2 gas engine and 6 speed auto. I bought the truck with 42 miles on odometer. Normally I would wait until 2000 miles to swap out factory fill however this truck has had this fill in for quite some time and the low mileage I picked her up at was probably tacked on 2 miles at a time.
I was going to use Penzoil Ultra 5w-30 synthetic
Thoughts?

35.gif

here we go again

I'd sleep ok at night with the factory fill in for a bit longer (or heck, even for a normal OCI), but if it makes you sleep better at night, change it.

Went 1000 miles on my 17 Outlander Sport and went straight to Magnatec 0w20. No usage at all since.

I've gone right to synthetic on a few other new vehicles after 500 or 1000 miles and never had an issue.

Go for it!

I usually change the factory fill at 1,000km (600 Miles) and then go 5,000km (3,000 miles) on the second change before following the normal OCI. Always worked for me. I find the most metal in the filter pleats from the manufacturing process during these first two oil changes and then no visible metal by the 3rd.

I know other folks that use the OLM for the factory fill and change it whenever the car tells them the first one is due an they seem to be just fine as well.

Last edited:
I kind of figured this thread would go all over the place! I will wait until around 500 miles which would be next weekend as long as I can find the oil I mentioned. Have a Fram ultra ready to go. Love the truck btw.

Originally Posted By: trik396
I kind of figured this thread would go all over the place! I will wait until around 500 miles which would be next weekend as long as I can find the oil I mentioned. Have a Fram ultra ready to go. Love the truck btw.

Sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Go get it up to operating temp for at least 1/2 hr. I like to change break in oil sooner too but your thinking too soon. Let it go 2k or so.

+1

1-2k miles sounds right to me

So the guys who believe I should wait a while don't think any harm can be done with oil sitting in pan for almost a year with only 40 miles driven?
Just want to clarify

Ethan’s post made me think of my new AFM V8 engine … think it will get an early change and then go OLM from there …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back