New truck 2002 7.3 Litre diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, just bought my first diesel. I want to change everything in it, all fluids. I live in alberta where temps can hit -40 Celcius so I want all the best stuff for in the cold.

Any help would be appreciated , I've never owned a diesel.

Thanks!

the best stuff would be a block heater and synthetic oil. 5w40. Winter front on the radiator I'd do a 60/40 mix on the coolant. Aside from a 12v cummins. You have the best diesel to be put into a pickup truck. As far as simplicity and reliability go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I guess you're referring to a Ford F series turbo PSD? My father-in-law's '99 (same motor) really likes the Rotella T6 5-40 I've been feeding it.

I have a 2001 international 3-ton with the 7.3 I love it and it has been a really good truck. It has 120.000km on it and runs like new. all its life it has had delo 400 15w-40 and it seems to like it even in the cold bc winters, I dont even plug it in. Kinda funny i plug in my 2000$ ford truck when its sweater weather but not my 80,000$ international. As far as i have seen any oil that is diesel rated works the same as the next in these engines. I would put some syn 5w-40 in it if you are concerened about the cold and motor oil and just replace the rest of the fluids with some good quality ford spec'd fluids.

I would let it warm up for a couple minutes and drive it nicely for the first 100' when its cold. I have seen 60psi oil pressure at idle so I assume the oil pump is working pretty hard when cold.

Also if you have been told to drain your hpop when you do your oil change dont bother the oil is circulated in seconds so the myth of stagnant oil in the hpop is false. I do a drain and filter change every 10,000km no matter what the time on it. It usually gets 9000km every year so it works out to a little over a year for oci. Have fun with your truck and be glad it has the 7.3 I heard the 6.0 explodes at 170,000 from weak head studs.

Any oil that is rated for CH-4 or better will suffice. I think you'll find some great products that are CJ-4 rated; they are predominant in today's market.

You don't "need" a synthetic, but it may help with cold starts. Viscosity selection is going to help you moreso than base stock.

It's not so much an issue of wear but the ease in which the engine cranks over (very important with a diesel compression-ignition engine) and also the HEUI (hydraulic-electri unit injection) injectors that are slave to the oil viscosity. Many PSD (Power Stroke Diesel) owners have discovered that thinner oils really aid in the cold starts and remove or reduce the "romp" associated with thick oils and cold temps.

Much of your deicion should be based upon what your OCI plan is going to be. If you're only expecting one oil change per year, then I'd go with a 10w-30 year round. If you're going to see two OCIs, then you could select a thinner 5w-30 oil for winter and a 15w-40 for summer. It is imperative that you select an oil that is rated CH-4 or higher. There are some fine Canadian brands up there to choose from.

Last edited:
Quote:
I live in alberta where temps can hit -40 Celcius
There are some 0W-30 and 0W-40 diesel engine oils that work best in your climate, plus the water jacket heater and oil sump heater--and probably battery heaters. If there is a Ford truck dealership nearby, those guys know best. Any Ford car dealership probably also has good knowledge.

By the way, -40°C = -40°F. Rough on any machinery in that weather. When I lived in Wyoming a friend worked nights at a pizza shop. One night he got off work and his SUV drove oddly starting out. It was frigid, minus a lot, and clear snow-base road. He found that his front wheels weren't even turning! He had to put them into 4wd to get them to turn, the gear oil in the front diff was so thick in that deep cold.

Originally Posted By: cj11
Hello, just bought my first diesel. I want to change everything in it, all fluids. I live in alberta where temps can hit -40 Celcius so I want all the best stuff for in the cold.

Any help would be appreciated , I've never owned a diesel.

Thanks!

A 10w-30 dino or synthetic blend should be fine, if your feeling ballin a 5w40 will work too. I would change all the fluids, ATF, Power steering, x-case, coolant, brake...you name it...change it. Make sure your coolant is still up to spec and have your GPR tested to make sure your glow plugs are still good. Also load test the batteries to make sure they can take the cold.

In Alberta you can obtain Co-op D-MO SL 0W40, CI4+, one of the best oils available in North America for potential -40 temps.

Charlie

I have a 2002 F350 7.3 also. The engine (International) is pretty reliable. As long as you do the required maintenance ( oil changes/ fuel filter change/ coolant change when needed/ air filter maintenance/change/ trans and diff service the truck will run long and strong. My truck has never let me down. I would recommend a 5w40 diesel oil like Shell, because of your temps.Good oil and easy to find.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Any oil that is rated for CH-4 or better will suffice. I think you'll find some great products that are CJ-4 rated; they are predominant in today's market.

You don't "need" a synthetic, but it may help with cold starts. Viscosity selection is going to help you moreso than base stock.

It's not so much an issue of wear but the ease in which the engine cranks over (very important with a diesel compression-ignition engine) and also the HEUI (hydraulic-electri unit injection) injectors that are slave to the oil viscosity. Many PSD (Power Stroke Diesel) owners have discovered that thinner oils really aid in the cold starts and remove or reduce the "romp" associated with thick oils and cold temps.

Much of your deicion should be based upon what your OCI plan is going to be. If you're only expecting one oil change per year, then I'd go with a 10w-30 year round. If you're going to see two OCIs, then you could select a thinner 5w-30 oil for winter and a 15w-40 for summer. It is imperative that you select an oil that is rated CH-4 or higher. There are some fine Canadian brands up there to choose from.

Great post!! A HPX line will also aid in reducing the " Romps " in the morning by equalizing the pressure the ICP reads

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
In Alberta you can obtain Co-op D-MO SL 0W40, CI4+, one of the best oils available in North America for potential -40 temps.

Charlie

That's what I used to run. I live in Sask where it hits -40* regularly in winter. Now, the D-MO SL 0w40 (CI-4) is not available. They call it D-MO SL 0w40 "GOLD" and it is now CJ-4 .

Last edited:
My cousin has about 100,000 miles on Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40. His truck idle and operated noticeable smoother than Rotella 15W-40. I have now made the switch in my 6.7L also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back