New trim restorer type? Almost like spray paint #Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer

Bought this tonight to give it a try. There are two formulations, the gel and the spray. The gel is a mixed bag. It goes on like lotion, thickens as it dries, and last about 3 weeks or 1 heavy rain. It looks good, but remains greasy to the touch, and runs down over the paint badly in the rain.

so I bought the spray for the cowling of the f150. The can says it can last 100+ washes. It better at $16 dollars for a large, and lightweight can. It comes out very thin with lots of propellant and a very light dusting of material… which makes it easier to control. Overspray is bad, and they recommend masking it properly. Indeed. It dries like a clear coat paint. It’s a little tricky to get a consistent line set and traveled. It seems to dry like a real clear coat. after 2 coats, mine is splotchy but certainly better than it was. If it lasts a while, I’ll be happy.

Last edited:
This stuff sounds like something that someone would use to make a car presentable before selling.

My experience has been that once the trim is degraded it’s done for. You can make it look good for short periods but eventually those wash away.

Yes. They say to mask before spraying, and quickly get at any overspray with rubbing alcohol. They also say to not do it in the sun. it was dry to the touch in 15 minutes, with no oily feel next day. Pic snapped and attached. The overspray absolutely requires alcohol and elbow grease, it’s basically like paint.

while it’s got a touch of gloss to it, it is far, far better than it was before.

Attachments

• 8EE3D78A-6762-4247-8F18-0FC9065C60F3.jpeg
    8EE3D78A-6762-4247-8F18-0FC9065C60F3.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 41
I bought a bottle of this in mid-September 2022. Cleaned some extremely faded/chalky black plastic trim and used it. I put three applications on it. I was very pleased, easy on, easy to wipe "dry", used per the instructions.

90 days later and the trim is back to being faded, chalky, etc. Pretty disappointed in Meguiar's products lately.

Back