New Tread Patterns

I had to replace one of my Pirelli Tires that Discount Tire said was defective and noticed the Tread Pattern was a little different. So this got me thinking. Considering tires have been around over 100 hundred years......why haven't they found the best tread pattern and stuck with it ?

Best tread pattern ever!

r888r-right.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect they know what the best pattern is, but the technology isn't there to support it yet.

Sipes all the way down would be great, but the tread squirm is too much for a performing tire. If they had a better rubber maybe they could do both. Or a better way of moulding rubber to begin with. Many tread patterns make noise but try to minimize it-- they could do better with X, Y, and Z "coming soon."

I had to replace one of my Pirelli Tires that Discount Tire said was defective and noticed the Tread Pattern was a little different. So this got me thinking. Considering tires have been around over 100 hundred years......why haven't they found the best tread pattern and stuck with it ?

Best for what? noise? aquaplaning? mud and snow? mileage? wear?

My best tread pattern is no pattern...

My favourite motorcycle tyre has been around since the '60's - materials and compounds may have changed over the decades, but the tread pattern is still the same.

Remember the old adage - sell the sizzle, not the steak! That's what tread patterns do.

Tire retailers need to have something new to sell. A new tread pattern provides that. To them, if it looks the same, it is the same! So you will see tire manufacturers introducing new tire lines regularly - which, of course, have different tread patterns. Sell the sizzle!

Like oil, there are so many applications and intended purposes, along with countless possible environments there is no way just one would cover it.

IMO, although there's still technological advances to be made in tires, it's diminishing returns and has been for atleast the last decade.

The tire reviewers might report a few seconds improvement lap times or a few feet improvement in stopping distances, but for general practical consumer usage those metrics are mostly meaningless.

Maybe the tread pattern is determined by the marketing department?

For no reason that I can justify, I like V's and Z's on my tires.

Obligatory Michelin TRX tire reference:
View attachment 89014

The video mentions mandatory 13" wheels...what's that about?

BF Goodrich still makes a tire with a tread pattern like that:

bfg_radial_ta_full.jpg

Last edited:
My fave was a yokohama advan a032r rain spec dot legal race tire... all x's.

Second is bridgestone re01-r because they did everything you could want... plus a lot of autox tires copied that pattern.

Different tread patterns have different characteristics. Compound changes mean you have to adjust tread pattern to adjust for those characteristics you want. There is no "one size fits all" tread pattern, just like there's no one size fits all compound. CAD and liquid physics modeling have also changed the game, and more advanced simulations allow for more changes. I expect we'll see more directional all-weather patterns like the Crossclimate2 and Kinergy 4S2 start to appear in mass market tires.

Like oil, there are so many applications and intended purposes, along with countless possible environments there is no way just one would cover it.
I meant the best All Season tire for most cars since they've been around the longest.

Really?

I remember when they came out. The Goodyear Tiempo, for example.

All seasons haven’t been around for that long…
They've been around for 45 years and before the name changed they called them M+S.

Consider clothes have been around for at least 5000 years in humanity, have we found the best fashion and stick with it yet?

Back