New TRD oil filter (opened canister pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took this thing off my 06 tc, and I must say, you get what you pay for here. At first glance it looks like a K&N filter, but it's not. For starters the filter media is synthetic, whereas the K&N filter still uses cellulose. The TRD has a metal wire mesh to help support the filter media from distorting. K&N doesn't advertise this on their site, so I assume it doesn't have this wire mesh. The gaskets are also different. On the K&N the gasket has a square shape and is securely stamped onto the filter. On the TRD the gasket has a round shape like the OEM filters, but thicker. It fits loosely on a groove that's on the filter. You can actually pop it out. Once fitted properly on the car though, it seals perfectly. I think TRD did this to prevent the gasket from binding up or distorting when you install it.

MSRP is $12.75, but dealers around my area are jacking up the price to $15. If you look around the net though, you can order a few and with the shipping included you can get them for around $9-$10 each. This is a good value for me since the same dealers are also jacking up the price of OEM filters to $12 each.

TRD description:
Quote:
TRD High Performance Oil Filters incorporate state-of-the-art design and materials offering superior protection. The filter uses 3 plies of 100% synthetic glass/polyester blend filtration media that 98% efficient at 20 microns - that's smaller than pollen. Built with a heavy-duty pressure valve that allows oil flow during cold starts, a high temperature anti-drain back valve that retains oil in the filter to prevent dry starts, and a ported and polished backplate provides smooth oil inlet holes reducing oil restriction.

Here are the pics. Not pretty, but it does the trick.

298959%20100_2247.jpg

009fnx.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pic. I snapped it and didn't even check it.

012jip.jpg

The bottom plate (with the holes) is quite thick.

011yjx.jpg

013phe.jpg

The filter media is one tough little bugger. After abusing it with the box cutter, it held up pretty good. You can see the wire mesh support.

015eox.jpg

The wire mesh by itself.

Make the images jesssssssssssssssssst a wee bit bigger. I only have to hit the carriage return twice.

them are good filters been shown on here before,looks like any other quality syn filter(eao,UPF,RP,FG). i like the blue ADBV

I can't edit it anymore, sorry bout the size (hit the F11 key, might help a bit). Mods can you make an exception? Anyways, this particular oil filter is for all 4 cylinder Toyotas. Part number PTR43-33010. Toyota makes 3 oil filters. One for the 4 cyl, one for 6, and one for 8 (which I believe is a filter media cartridge). And yes this is VERY similar to the RP filters, because they're both made by Champion Labs. A lot of people just assume that they are a carbon copy of the K&N because of the nut at the top, but other than that they are completely different. A lot closer to the JDM TRD filters actually.

Last edited:
Man, now I cant decide if im going to try the RP or the TRD!!! It might just come down to who is closer, the dealer or Pep Boys!haha

Originally Posted By: daman
what are your paying for these?? from your dealer??, do they cross to any other cars/trucks???

The dealer will probably try to sell them to you for $15. I bought a few from a online dealer for $10 each plus $7 S&H. If you buy 3 they come out to around $12 each. And yes these will fit almost any Toyota. Toyota makes 1 for the 4 cylinder engines, 1 for the 6 bangers, and 1 for the V8s.

9181.jpg

Last edited:
I can't tell for sure, but it does look like a dome end bypass. Next oil change, my truck gets an ST with a thread end bypass.

Many Super Tech filters have base (thread) end bypass valves, because the bypass and ADBV are a combination unit. They're the Champ E-core design.

Gotcha. I was thinking standard filter with thread end bypass and couldnt remember ever seeing one.

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
...Toyota makes 1 for the 4 cylinder engines, 1 for the 6 bangers, and 1 for the V8s.

Thank you.
I was mistakenly under the impression that the 4 cylinder model was not made. Thanks to your info, I asked the dealer about them and they can order them in same day. Imo get me one!

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Gotcha. I was thinking standard filter with thread end bypass and couldnt remember ever seeing one.

Most of the older ST 3950's I cut open had thread end bypasses too. In later years before dropping it, they did go to a clicker in the dome end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back