New 2024 Toyota Tacoma

2019-2021 no atf cooler

2022+ (new body style) looks to have one available
Yeah - it likely backfired on them … I order trailer packages even if just towing/loading light - strictly based on where I drive …

That’s only for the top tier model, first 3 trims get — haha — leaf springs 🤦‍♂️
Really, I thought it was only the base 2WD trucks staying with leafs. I sure hope the drive line engineers got these right. The driveline NVH issues on Tacoma have been a problem since my first one back in 1997. Every one I've had has had some sort of vibration or droning at various speeds. Go to the Tacoma forum and every week there is a new thread with someone complaining of a vibration, dealers pull their hair out but they can't fix them. Luckily my 2020 has very little.
Working on Ram trucks through the 90's made me wonder if Chrysler could actually build a driveshaft that did not vibrate. However, when the 1500 truck went to a 4 link and coil suspension in the back the problem completely disappeared.

Apparently, this had something to do with changes to the AC system and after some testing, they decided they couldn't do the separate cooler - although you can add an aftermarket that basically uses all the OEM Toyota lines going to an aftermarket radiator so it was possible for Toyota to do. This line of bull was given by Mike Sweers the lead engineer.

Could you please expand on this or, maybe, give a link? Thanks

Really, I thought it was only the base 2WD trucks staying with leafs. I sure hope the drive line engineers got these right. The driveline NVH issues on Tacoma have been a problem since my first one back in 1997. Every one I've had has had some sort of vibration or droning at various speeds. Go to the Tacoma forum and every week there is a new thread with someone complaining of a vibration, dealers pull their hair out but they can't fix them. Luckily my 2020 has very little.
Working on Ram trucks through the 90's made me wonder if Chrysler could actually build a driveshaft that did not vibrate. However, when the 1500 truck went to a 4 link and coil suspension in the back the problem completely disappeared.

IMG_2492.jpeg

Do you mostly use your Tacoma’s for work or as a personal driver?

Could you please expand on this or, maybe, give a link? Thanks
I believe the long story is they changed the AC refrigerant and on the test rig didn't have the transmission cooler hooked up for some reason and while testing they realized the truck no longer needed the transmission cooler to stay in range. I call BS, the truck has had a transmission cooler since 2007. I don't tow so I really don't care but there are plenty of stories of people towing well below the max and the transmission overheating. I could've even accepted ok no cooler but it's no longer "lifetime fluid" but no cooler + lifetime fluid? I call BS.

"Toyota’s Chief Engineer Mike Sweers told us in an interview, Toyota made the change after discovering they no longer needed the part to keep the transmission within acceptable operating range.

Basically, engineering was out testing the truck, as all automakers do, and discovered they simply didn’t need the cooler to hit their operating range targets. By removing the transmission oil cooler, they could still be within an acceptable range and, according to Toyota, they would not damage the transmission."

I believe the long story is they changed the AC refrigerant and on the test rig didn't have the transmission cooler hooked up for some reason and while testing they realized the truck no longer needed the transmission cooler to stay in range. I call BS, the truck has had a transmission cooler since 2007. I don't tow so I really don't care but there are plenty of stories of people towing well below the max and the transmission overheating. I could've even accepted ok no cooler but it's no longer "lifetime fluid" but no cooler + lifetime fluid? I call BS.

"Toyota’s Chief Engineer Mike Sweers told us in an interview, Toyota made the change after discovering they no longer needed the part to keep the transmission within acceptable operating range.

Basically, engineering was out testing the truck, as all automakers do, and discovered they simply didn’t need the cooler to hit their operating range targets. By removing the transmission oil cooler, they could still be within an acceptable range and, according to Toyota, they would not damage the transmission."

There are some 2018 models with the new refrigerant and atf cooler (using the same old condenser with cooler at top).

Last edited:
There are some 2018 models with the new refrigerant and atf cooler (using the same old condenser with cooler at top).
Yup…I think it was just cost cutting and a hope that most people wouldn’t be affected.

The 6-speed manual is compelling.
Yeah, I was dumbfounded that Toyota even considered it. The rumors were that it wasn't coming back. Now articles are saying due to Toyota's goofy allocation it's going to be a nightmare to get one.

Pros and Cons for both.
For work and HD applications leafs will handle more, but off road and rough terrain the articulation and ride will go to the coil and link.

My point was Toyota has a habit of removing things sometimes that should be standard and they can be cheap about things that they shouldn't be cheap about like transmission coolers and engine oil coolers.
Supposedly they did the same thing to my 5S-FE, around '95 or so they dropped the oil-coolant heat exchanger. Bit them on the rear with sludge complaints. OTOH... my post '95 5S-FE is still kicking. Maybe it's just a gamble they are willing to take?

Maybe they are trying to go Euro. You know, as long as you keep to the requirements on the maintenance schedule on a near-religious basis, no problems--but stray over a bit, and game over. 'cept for the fact that everyone knows there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid and all...

Give Toyota some credit...they managed to increase payload while still going to coil springs in the rear. I'm guessing it's because they lengthened the wheelbase as well and put the rear wheels more under the center of the bed?

Based on what I've seen so far Toyota did a good job on the Tacoma. GM did a great job on the Colorado and Toyota had to deliver and it appears they did. It will be interesting to see these two go at it. Tacoma will outsell the Colorado as it always has. I'm curious how TFL ranks them as they seem to have a bias for Toyota. However, I thought I wanted the last gen Tacoma until I drove one. So it remains to be seen.

Pricing is going to be a factor. The ZR2 comes in $10k less than the Ranger Raptor (as of now based on MSRP). The TRD Pro is likely to be ridiculously expensive. This could help the ZR2 sales a bit.

In terms of looks:

1. Colorado
2. Tacoma
3. Ranger

I notice several people mention TFL… I understand their content is not totally devoid of informational value, but the presentation and characters are just too low proof to stomach for me. If “village idiots” capable of productive work created an automotive review channel using 1980s B-comedy movie tricks, that would be TFL — in MY PERSONAL estimation. I just looked and their truck channel has 1.2 million subscribers 😱.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Gonna see how this gen plays out for a couple years. I do feel there's a little more tech going on than I like. Especially when you compare it to my '22. Every time I tell myself to keep a truck, it never happens. I don't like any of the other offerings for "midsize" trucks, so a new Tacoma would be it. Call me a fanboy I recon. I imagine trying to order a manual will be quite difficult.

I've had four Tacoma's. Two first gens, a second gen and now a 2020 Limited model. Great trucks except FOR THE RUST!!!!
All the guys on the Tacoma forum are screaming and stomping their feet because of no V6 in the 4th gen.
The new I4 turbo makes 310 pound feet of torque at 1700 rpm, where as my 3.5 makes only 264 at a dizzying 4400 rpm. The hybrid model makes almost 470 pound feet at 1700 rpm. I'll take 310 @ 1700 thank you.
Um.... if there is one thing Toyota can do is build a nice 4 cylinder, I'll take the I4 turbo over the 3.5 in a heartbeat. It's been out for a couple of years with no problems.
The other thing I like is they dumped the rear leaf springs. Four link and coil set up, disk brakes in the back too (I actually like the drum set up, the shoes never wear out).
Its full of gadgets, but I like the simplicity of my third generation Tacoma.
Looks like the SR5 turbo 4 only has 228/243 hp/lbft. I wonder what the difference is? Smaller turbo? Less boost?

Back