New 2024 Toyota Tacoma

Oh, I agree. That ZR2 is amazing.

I can't wait to see them in a TFL showdown. (I like TFL truck, I know some don't)
TFL does good towing tests. Maybe not the most "calibrated"-but OK never the less. It's the presentation that can grate on ones nerves.

I've had four Tacoma's. Two first gens, a second gen and now a 2020 Limited model. Great trucks except FOR THE RUST!!!!
All the guys on the Tacoma forum are screaming and stomping their feet because of no V6 in the 4th gen.
The new I4 turbo makes 310 pound feet of torque at 1700 rpm, where as my 3.5 makes only 264 at a dizzying 4400 rpm. The hybrid model makes almost 470 pound feet at 1700 rpm. I'll take 310 @ 1700 thank you.
Um.... if there is one thing Toyota can do is build a nice 4 cylinder, I'll take the I4 turbo over the 3.5 in a heartbeat. It's been out for a couple of years with no problems.
The other thing I like is they dumped the rear leaf springs. Four link and coil set up, disk brakes in the back too (I actually like the drum set up, the shoes never wear out).
Its full of gadgets, but I like the simplicity of my third generation Tacoma.

I sure hope it's more comfortable than the current gen.
I almost had to sell mine because the seat was so uncomfortable..... but I found these things called seat jackers. You can raise the front or back, or both. I put them just on the front and now its perfect for me. The 2020 was the first year for a power seat but it is still awful. The bug guy on TFL truck says it is much improved with the 24' model.

That’s one ugly truck man

Looks like the same thing, just evolved to not look out of place in the 3rd decade of XXI century.

4DB1C656-A509-425E-9279-7401B284D253-COLLAGE.jpeg

I suspect most of the Tacoma lovers who SWORE to never sell theirs, will do so in the next few years to move into 21st century from the 90s. Waywards! 😁

Wow! Handsome Truck. Don't like a "cheap suspension" on the entry level truck. Don't like a "cheap engine" on the entry level truck. No oil cooler 'cause I bought the entry level engine,really?

I sure hope it's more comfortable than the current gen.
Yeah...at 6'5" I simply did not fit and it had a very high floor and very little headroom. I also did not fit in the 4-Runner. I'm tall but not freakishly tall.

Wow! Handsome Truck. Don't like a "cheap suspension" on the entry level truck. Don't like a "cheap engine" on the entry level truck. No oil cooler 'cause I bought the entry level engine,really?
They took the transmission cooler out of the Tundra in 2019 and it was not an option after that in that generation of Tundra. I can average 225F in the transmission on a flat highway doing 75F. The Tundra had this for over a decade with that exact engine/transmission and suddenly it wasn't necessary? Toyota can be really cheap.

Last edited:
They took the transmission cooler out of the Tundra in 2019 and it was not an option after that. I can average 225F in the transmission on a flat highway doing 75F. The Tundra had this for over a decade with that exact engine/transmission and suddenly it wasn't necessary? Toyota can be really cheap.
That’s weird - not even a tow package to add it back ?

That’s weird - guess there is a tow package to add it back ?
Nope...the "tow package" replaced the cooler with a hockey puck-like thing where the cooler used to connect to the transmission - on one side of the puck is engine coolant and on the other side it transmission fluid. It is technically a transmission fluid "warmer" used to get the transmission fluid up to operating temp quicker although yes, after the transmission fluid exceeds 200 F (the coolant temp), it will do some very weak cooling of the transmission fluid.

I recently did some light towing of 1500 lbs around town for a few days and I transmission fluid temp averaged 235 F - not great for something that is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid.

Apparently, this had something to do with changes to the AC system and after some testing, they decided they couldn't do the separate cooler - although you can add an aftermarket that basically uses all the OEM Toyota lines going to an aftermarket radiator so it was possible for Toyota to do. This line of bull was given by Mike Sweers the lead engineer.

Last edited:
Nope...the "tow package" replaced the cooler with a hockey puck-like thing where the cooler used to connect to the transmission - on one side of the puck is engine coolant and on the other side it transmission fluid. It is technically a transmission fluid "warmer" used to get the transmission fluid up to operating temp quicker although yes, after the transmission fluid exceeds 200 F (the coolant temp), it will do some very weak cooling of the transmission fluid.
So this package as that gizmo as a cooler ?

740D0819-22B6-4309-8A11-62F3FDEA4242.jpg

So this package as that gizmo as a cooler ?

View attachment 158483
That's the 2023...different generation. I have a 2020 from the previous generation. My point was Toyota has a habit of removing things sometimes that should be standard and they can be cheap about things that they shouldn't be cheap about like transmission coolers and engine oil coolers.

Back