New Toyota Supra/BMW Z-5, combined effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully it has more BMW-esque design cues than those gaudy designs shown at the start. The last gen Supra was handsome and a great car. I still have a really nice book from a 2004 or so Supra somewhere.

Thank goodness for it staying a straight 6.

I hope the excessively long and pointy nose is not carried through with, in mot a fan of a massive flat front like Mazda or some Lexus, but not so pointy either for practical reasons.

Those rear scoops are kind of neat, but also probably more hassle than they are worth...

Will be interesting to see what comes out. My 135i is 300hp from a 3L I-6. Iirc, the Supra was rated at 300 or 320 from the same size I6 in the mid 90s. Not sure if BMW or Toyota have an MT to handle substantially more torque.

The last gen Supra was a bar of soap with a wing.

The long noise will stay; all Supras and BMW Zeds have have that shape.

BMW and Toyota both have history with Getrag. If this car comes with a manual transmission I assume it will use the same box that the manual F10 M5 used.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The last gen Supra was a bar of soap with a wing.

The long noise will stay; all Supras and BMW Zeds have have that shape.

BMW and Toyota both have history with Getrag. If this car comes with a manual transmission I assume it will use the same box that the manual F10 M5 used.

I meant the point front and center.

A number of design cues in the video I didn't really care for.

90s toyotas, even if boring, were the top point of making handsome, conservatively styled cars. Sort of like D-B.

It seems strange for Toyota and BMW to team up on a sports car, but since they both have notable heritage with the I-6, it does make sense. That engine form also leads to car designs with long hoods and short decks. These days, if your turbocharged 3.0L six doesn't make 400 HP, you aren't trying hard enough. GM's 3.0L V6 in the Cadillac CT6 makes 400 HP, as does Ford's in the Lincoln Continental.

Looks like a car designed for Japan - boring styling, me-too mechanicals and Toyota (not Lexus) branding. I think it's a purely JDM RHD product - once they move the steering wheel to the left side, the competition gets a lot more challenging.

At the end of the video the narrator asks if it'll be a hit or will flop. I say it will flop. People wanting a high performance sports car wants a manual transmission,simplicity,and the fact that it's a hybrid ruins it. Sports cars should be simple and fun,not full of computers and technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back