New Toyo died an infant death and How can you tell if spare is roadworthy?

So I was truckin home from the furniture place shopping for living room set for the mother in law..........:censored:

Got home pulled in garage and it sounded like my air hose had ruptured.... nope just my nearly new toyo tire.

I checked out the spare it seemed in good shape. a little low on air.. I havent filled it in 4 years..
its in the car upside down and you know if you remove it.. the jack and tire iron always have rattles and clanks.

In my defense I do carry a viair 87p air compressor so its not an issue it only had 17.5psi in it.

Pic of Toyo.. SHES DEAD JIM. --
PXL_20220327_002255775.jpg

PXL_20220327_003842151.jpg

Now if you are having trouble determining if your spare is roadworthy..
This is a good one.

PXL_20220327_002448316.jpg

PXL_20220327_003207026.jpg

Meanwhile if your tire looks like this.. DONT CHANCE IT.
badtire2.jpg

Just found the invoice and I opted in for road hazard WOO HOO!!! probably because they gave it away at 30$ for all 4 tires.

It will be interesting to figure out what that metal is.

Razor blade from some sort of cutter. solid with no tabs or cutouts.
Similar to this one but not one of mine due to it being fully solid.
image_2022-03-26_214032.jpg

Surprised that razor blade went all the way in, I would have thought it would have deformed. Must have hit it exactly right/ wrong.

I am going to guess it was on the rear. It seems that the front tires hit an item and set it up to penetrate the rear tire.

New tire on today..
Called at 9am. They got tire in at 2pm had new tire on by 3:30pm.

total cost was 38$ to "transfer the road hazard certificate" to the new tire.
not bad considering the cheapest I saw was 224$+ 18 mount and balance.+tax= nearly $260

So I was truckin home from the furniture place shopping for living room set for the mother in law..........:censored:

Got home pulled in garage and it sounded like my air hose had ruptured.... nope just my nearly new toyo tire.

I checked out the spare it seemed in good shape. a little low on air.. I havent filled it in 4 years..
its in the car upside down and you know if you remove it.. the jack and tire iron always have rattles and clanks.

In my defense I do carry a viair 87p air compressor so its not an issue it only had 17.5psi in it.

Pic of Toyo.. SHES DEAD JIM. --
View attachment 94132

View attachment 94133

Now if you are having trouble determining if your spare is roadworthy..
This is a good one.

View attachment 94134
View attachment 94135

Meanwhile if your tire looks like this.. DONT CHANCE IT.
View attachment 94136

Just found the invoice and I opted in for road hazard WOO HOO!!! probably because they gave it away at 30$ for all 4 tires.
Put your spare, tool, & plate back in exactly like it is in your picture, crank the nut down tight, then it won’t rattle!

Razor blade from some sort of cutter. solid with no tabs or cutouts.
Similar to this one but not one of mine due to it being fully solid.
View attachment 94138

I wonder if this was intentional? I have a hard time visualizing a cutter blade like that being driven deep into the tire. It would be lying flat on the road surface.

I wonder if this was intentional? I have a hard time visualizing a cutter blade like that being driven deep into the tire. It would be lying flat on the road surface.
It's 100% possible in the way tires pick-up objects. A few years back, my sister called me to see if I could help her change a flat she had. (She called AAA but asked if I knew where her jack was...LOL) Anyhow, she called later and sent me a picture of the culprit - a 6" screwdriver with handle!! How does that happen!

It's 100% possible in the way tires pick-up objects. A few years back, my sister called me to see if I could help her change a flat she had. (She called AAA but asked if I knew where her jack was...LOL) Anyhow, she called later and sent me a picture of the culprit - a 6" screwdriver with handle!! How does that happen!

That’s the thing, I’ve seen some odd stuff too and scratched my head.

I keep hearing these stories of two legged varmints puncturing tires in parking lots then waiting for the person to come back. Then they let the person know their tire is flat but they also have other motives in mind. It’s a crazy world

front tire picks it up then back tire runs over it.

There is no way it could have been intentional that I know of...Happened at the end of a 25mile drive and went flat in 3min.
it likely occurred within a mile of my house driving home. if the tread had been even deeper (18/32+) it would have just given me an extra sipe.

If there was no insurance, I'd patch that thing in a heartbeat.
It has a 1" slice through the inner part.. since a patch isnt structural.. that wouldnt be a good idea at all.. but then again quite a few of your ideas arent. You like to post and argue.. the post about 2 new tires on one side vs front or back comes to mind.

It has a 1" slice through the inner part.. since a patch isnt structural.. that wouldnt be a good idea at all.. but then again quite a few of your ideas arent. You like to post and argue.. the post about 2 new tires on one side vs front or back comes to mind.
A patch is to seal air from leaking and that damage isn't any more structural than nail damage. My tire patches are 1"x2" so would cover that just fine. If you equate my comment saying I would patch it, as arguing, OK, I thought it was just a comment.

A patch is to seal air from leaking and that damage isn't any more structural than nail damage. My tire patches are 1"x2" so would cover that just fine. If you equate my comment saying I would patch it, as arguing, OK, I thought it was just a comment.
I think his point is that a 1" wide slice all the way through has caused some form of structural compromise, because it has cut through some of the belting. A nail or screw tends to produce a much smaller perforation where that isn't an issue.

wonder if this was intentional? I have a hard time visualizing a cutter blade like that being driven deep into the tire. It would be lying flat on the road surface.
What happens is that a tire rolling over a flat object like a razor blade will suck the object up and cause it to tumble. That sometimes allows it to be trapped between the tire and the pavement.

Back