New Tow Vehicle

Well I finally made the decision, traded out beloved 2003 avalanche for a 2021 Ram 2500.
We loved the avalanche as it as an uncommon yellow color , that we called "Big Bird".

I was planning on a Chevrolet , till I drove both.
Nothing wrong with the Chevy. Just things I did and did not want.

The Ram has a 4:10 gear, you can no longer get anything with a higher ratio( lower gear) than 3.73:1 in a Chevrolet. The ram also has a manual shift lever for 4wd. I had electronic issues a few times in the av. So I like the manual lever.

The Chevy has 20 inch wheels which most people would want. I prefer a smaller wheel with a taller sidewall. Rides better in my opinion. The ram has 18 inch wheels with more sidewall height.

Anyway here's the pics of the old truck and the new.

IMG_20210805_141421870_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210805_141411365_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210808_201542865.jpg

IMG_20210808_201618846.jpg

IMG_20210808_201731835.jpg

Congrats on the new truck! Gotta be a big improvement over the avalanche for towing!

That's the way to go. Way too many problems with the modern emissions diesels.
Yes, i worried about post warranty diesel dpf egr costs. This truck will probably end up out of warranty with low mileage.

Yes, i worried about post warranty diesel dpf egr costs. This truck will probably end up out of warranty with low mileage.
With 4+ years on our '17 RAM Dually Diesel, we've had no emissions issues. Most of the other owners I've talked to report the same experience. Do some have issues? sure. But I think it's exaggerated a bit.

Congrats on your new truck.

With 4+ years on our '17 RAM Dually Diesel, we've had no emissions issues. Most of the other owners I've talked to report the same experience. Do some have issues? sure. But I think it's exaggerated a bit.

How do you guys reach the center of roof over the windshield for waxing ?
Even with a short platform I could not reach it.
I don't have spray in bed liner yet, so I didn't want to put the platform in the bed .
IMG_20210808_190642057.jpg

I don't have spray in bed liner yet, so I didn't want to put the platform in the bed .View attachment 66436

We have a 2-post lift in the garage. I put a platform on the lift to lay on, and have the wife raise me up and drive the truck under me.

Works great. 😁

Congrats!

I don't have spray in bed liner yet, so I didn't want to put the platform in the bed .
When I maintain my buddy's 21 2500, I just use a spray-on/rinse off product such as Gyeon Wetcoat or CarPro Hydro2. Both the spray-on/wipe-off and spray-on/rinse-off products last about the same IME....which is a few washes (or 4-6 weeks).

Do you and the people you speak to run the truck HARD? That's the only way to not have emissions issues with the newer diesels. They need to be run hard all day every day to not have problems.

That's funny because it was one of the selling features for me on my 2016. I don't want to have to get my keys out of my pocket when I get in the truck! Everyone likes different things. I bet you grow to enjoy it.
No my wife's Mazda has it. I will get used to it, but I'll never like it.

The Chevrolet 2500 custom and the 1500 trail boss still have keys.

Just curious, does the Ram have higher ground clearance than does the Ava?
I never measured it but I'm sure it has more clearance.

Edit: I had to order another equalizer hitch shank, as on the lowest position it's an inch and a half too high.
So it's probably at least an inch more clearance.

Last edited:
Back