New Total TransGear 9 75w80 = Synchromesh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Total 75W-80 is slightly more viscous than is the Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid. You may actually benefit from use of the 75W-80 fluid in the long run.

Synchromesh shows a kinematic viscosity at 100ºC of 9.08 cSt.
Total 75W-80 shows a kinematic viscosity at 100ºC of 9.35 cSt.

I'd like to try the Total in my vehicle if I could find it.

It depends on what area of performance you're looking for:

Syncromesh has slightly lower kv @ 100C (0.27Cst difference at 100C), but better low temp Brookfield @ -40, viscosity index is 207, so the vis won't change as much as the Total product will with changes in temp. Total has higher flash point. If both meet your vehicle's spec, then try both and see which you prefer.

Here's a pdf from PZL Canada: PZL Syncromesh

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Albusq
Hi guys, i'm looking to replace the Pennzoil Synchromesh for the new Total TransGear 9 75w80. Techs at Total told me its the equivalent, can you confirm, i have some doubt.
Thanks
Total TDS
http://www4.total.fr/Europe/France/...NSMISSION-GEAR-9-FE-75W-80-032015-FR.pdf
Synchromesh TDS
https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pzl_Synchromesh_Fluid_(en)_TDS.pdf

TOTAL makes outstanding oils gear & motor, go for it!

If your transmission can tolerate a GL-4 fluid you should be fine. There are many manual transmissions out there that really want a GL-3 or even EP additive-free fluid for the synchros to work correctly (eg. Aisin AX-5 and AX-15). Its not an issue for *most* manuals in recent years, because they tend to either utilize ATF or Synchromesh fluids as the recommended factory fill rather than "gear oil" as in the old days. The ones caught in the middle are the ones you have to be careful with. Again using the AX-15 as an example, it needs a ~SAE 90 type viscosity, but GL-3 or less EP additives or the synchros won't synchronize. The way you get that nowadays? Either a specialty lube like Redline MT-90, or 40-weight synthetic engine oil (which is what the Jeep TSB for the AX-15 recommends).

a better alternative is Redline tranny lubes, real synthetic Esters. there are various viscosities + can be ordered on-line, shopping for the best price is wise. you can check their web or call + talk to a REAL person for recommendations

Yeah, once I put Redline MTL in my previous BMW, I'll never go back. What a difference
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back