New tool thread

When this came out I thought it was an overpriced gimmick.

Then I got one of my Milwaukee 3/8 electric ratchets wet, and it still works perfect, but if I leave the battery in, power off for more than about 10s, it won’t work. I then have to pull out the battery, reinsert, and it works fine again. Not so great when under a car on my back, working slow. But first world problems, I know…

The old style Milwaukee I bought has gone up like 70%. Meanwhile I also realized I need a long neck and a 1/4 drive ratchet. And summit had a coupon. So…

I’m going to do the timing belt on our Odyssey, and I figured the savings pays for the new (toy) tool.
I replaced a vtc actuator and re-do the chain on an 08 Accord last weekend. I have 4 different brands of short ratchets. They all came in handy but I couldn't get any ratchet (manual or electric) between the chain cover and the frame on a few bolts, even with stubby sockets. You'll appreciate having the Extra Long Professional Metric Double Box Ratcheting Wrench, 10 Piece Icon, and attach a stubby socket to get to the narrow spaces. Maybe you have more space in an Odyssey or 3050-20 is thin enough.

Last edited:
I finally decided to dump most of my Makita stuff except for the new mid torque. After a lot of research and thinking I finally decided on Dewalt as my new basic platform and started with the DCF 921 with a 5A power stack on sale from HD. This is a great deal.

I finally decided to dump most of my Makita stuff except for the new mid torque. After a lot of research and thinking I finally decided on Dewalt as my new basic platform and started with the DCF 921 with a 5A power stack on sale from HD. This is a great deal.

Out of curiosity, what was the rationale to dump Makita?

I have both.

Giving these a try. $28 on Amazon.

A co worker has had his for 6 years and the blades are in very good shape. (He’s also very hard on tools. Very cringe at times.) Meanwhile, I can hardly get a year out of my Klein cutters without them looking like I cut through nails on a daily basis.
IMG_8735.jpeg

Out of curiosity, what was the rationale to dump Makita?

I have both.
Don't get me wrong Makita makes very good tools and I am a long years fan but they seem to be neglecting the automotive repair segment either deliberately abandoning or have some misbegotten notion the auto repair trade is going the way of the dodo with EV vehicles not needing so many repairs and indy shops going out of business due to dealer only service, I have read both. I have no idea if any of that is fact or just drivel but I do know they are not modernizing their tool line and IMO it will hurt them in the long run.

I use the XWT18/XWT17Z a lot and it is excellent, I will keep that one and a one of the drills, tools I use all the time and are totally 100% satisfied with but they have had a couple of real dogs like XWT11Z and a couple of impact drivers that after very light use lost I would say half its power and became useless but every company has the occasional loser. That was their compact model which they replaced with the XWT 14/15Z with is much better and like size but it is in no way a compact, these were brushless and not cheap homeowner grade.

Some of the tools that I still use are non STAR and are relegated to obsolete lower amp batteries which are great batteries but they are getting long in the tooth and I don't feel like taking a dremel to expensive STAR batteries to make them work. Now they seem to be going to 40V tools and slowly abandoning 18V for more expensive with even more expensive batteries but still they same size tools.
My brother is big into Dewalt and to be honest I never gave it much thought until I was trying in vain to cut a bolt going into a rive nut on a BMW frame in a tight space with my "small" Makita, I could not get it from any angle, he handed me his small Dewalt XP and it was was a piece of cake, that sent me home thinking I can tell you.

I see Dewalt has some pretty impressive 60V tools but you can use the 20/60V flex volt batteries on the 20V tools.
I considered Hilti Neuron but the line is limited for anything but the occasional specialty tool, ditto for a lot of the other brands like Metabo, Flex and Bosch which I also have a few and are good but not as a total base package. I will not regurgitate my experience with team red but needless to say I will never but a tool from them, screw me once shame on you screw me twice shame on me for letting you do it, I will leave it at that but I think you know the story.

I want a long reach cordless 3/8 ratchet and will buy that from HF, for what I need the extended reach and small 3/8 head make it ideal for my uses, the ones from Makita and Dewalt are huge, I have no use for a high torque ratchet the 30lb.ft is enough and the speed is okay but I buy it knowing it is a brushed motor, low torque and basically a disposable but that is all okay, it has been found to be very smooth.
Sorry for the long winded reply but watch this video, after 8 years Makita replaces the top impact with this dog.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong Makita makes very good tools and I am a long years fan but they seem to be neglecting the automotive repair segment either deliberately abandoning or have some misbegotten notion the auto repair trade is going the way of the dodo with EV vehicles not needing so many repairs and indy shops going out of business due to dealer only service, I have read both. I have no idea if any of that is fact or just drivel but I do know they are not modernizing their tool line and IMO it will hurt them in the long run.

I use the XWT18/XWT17Z a lot and it is excellent, I will keep that one and a one of the drills, tools I use all the time and are totally 100% satisfied with but they have had a couple of real dogs like XWT11Z and a couple of impact drivers that after very light use lost I would say half its power and became useless but every company has the occasional loser. That was their compact model which they replaced with the XWT 14/15Z with is much better and like size but it is in no way a compact, these were brushless and not cheap homeowner grade.

Some of the tools that I still use are non STAR and are relegated to obsolete lower amp batteries which are great batteries but they are getting long in the tooth and I don't feel like taking a dremel to expensive STAR batteries to make them work. Now they seem to be going to 40V tools and slowly abandoning 18V for more expensive with even more expensive batteries but still they same size tools.
My brother is big into Dewalt and to be honest I never gave it much thought until I was trying in vain to cut a bolt going into a rive nut on a BMW frame in a tight space with my "small" Makita, I could not get it from any angle, he handed me his small Dewalt XP and it was was a piece of cake, that sent me home thinking I can tell you.

I see Dewalt has some pretty impressive 60V tools but you can use the 20/60V flex volt batteries on the 20V tools.
I considered Hilti Neuron but the line is limited for anything but the occasional specialty tool, ditto for a lot of the other brands like Metabo, Flex and Bosch which I also have a few and are good but not as a total base package. I will not regurgitate my experience with team red but needless to say I will never but a tool from them, screw me once shame on you screw me twice shame on me for letting you do it, I will leave it at that bit I think you know the story.

I want a long reach cordless 3/8 ratchet and will buy that from HF, for what I need the extended reach and small 3/8 head make it ideal for my uses, the ones from Makita and Dewalt are huge, I have no use for a high torque ratchet the 30lb.ft is enough and the speed is okay but I buy it knowing it is a brushed motor, low torque and basically a disposable but that is all okay, it has been found to be very smooth.
Sorry for the long winded reply but watch this video, after 8 years Makita replaces the top impact with this dog.

That’s interesting and great due diligence. Thanks very much for the insights!

I have DeWalt, makita, and Milwaukee. Because when the deals come around, often the tools with battery are well-priced, I’ve bought what I thought was best as opposed to wedging into a family of tools. I have t bought any Makita automotive tools. All my car-oriented stuff has been Milwaukee fwiw.

I rebuilt a 120’x20 garage building using the Milwaukee 36v cordless saw. That thing is a workhorse. My drills were all DeWalt USA made. Knock on wood my high end Makita impact has been a workhorse for driving screws into old lumber in another building I own. Hope it doesn’t lose power!

Thanks again, great info!

Giving these a try. $28 on Amazon.

A co worker has had his for 6 years and the blades are in very good shape. (He’s also very hard on tools. Very cringe at times.) Meanwhile, I can hardly get a year out of my Klein cutters without them looking like I cut through nails on a daily basis. View attachment 214793
I’ve cut more nails than I can count with my Knipex cutters. So look at those if these don’t work out…. But good luck! They look good!

What application requires the E16 countersink?

The FLCE140 is ideal for connecting rod cap bolts on various Toyota and Scion vehicles, while the FLCE160 works on the cam sprocket of a 2.5L FB engine on 2011 and newer Subaru Forester vehicles, plus the camshaft timing gear assembly on various 2012 Toyota vehicles. The FLCE180 works on the spider gear of the rear differential on 2010 to current Chevrolet Camaro vehicles.

Back