New to the vee dub gang (new to me car)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this little car. It's very satisfying to drive to. I did the valve cover gasket tonight and am going to do the thermostat on Tuesday. Very fun car to drive very pretty and nimble. Got it for $3100 has 123,000 miles.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
200,000 on my 01 jetta 1.8T replaced by a glorified VW 01 TT 225Q 1.8 T. girlfriend had 2 good VW'sas well. bentley manuals are best + ross-tech software for your computer does it all. a great forum here especially for lubricants but VWVortex is the place for VAG cars. good luck with your new to you ride + a few more details about it would be better.

I 2nd VW vortex, great site for info, repairs and upgrades. Same for bently manuals. I haven't used VCDS, I have a XTool vag401, which basically does the same stuff for $55, but you have to learn how to use it. Good luck with your new ride.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
what year?

Looks like a MkV Golf.

Congrats to OP on the purchase, that's a steal for $3100 with that mileage.

Really nice sensible car with a bit a flare. I used to drive a MkV GTI, the fun factor is the best of any cars I've driven and owned.

Can VW fans tell me why the present or soon to be introduced generations of Golf look better than this? Was this the generation that was re-branded Rabbit? Or was that the following generation?

Nice car! The 2.5 is usually a long lived engine when maintained properly.
Ignition coils are the sore spot on those, but VW has revised them to the point it's not an issue if you replace them with the latest
revised coils. They are around $27 each and I suggest carrying one in the spare tire well along with a Bluetooth code reader and app on your phone.

If your VIN starts with a W, it was assembled in the Wolfsburg factory in Germany. They are are that gen I think.

The car might have the chilled glove box knob if you open up the glove box.
If your lucky, the car will have an "Autobahn" full size high speed spare

Most aftermarket parts at Autozone, Advance.. are absolute garbage for VW's.
There are better aftermarket parts popular in Europe, but available in the USA from a few retailers. Check out ECS Tuning
which sells them and OEM parts cheaper, too.

Some things like the brake rotors are top notch German steel with zinc coated hats and no brake rotor from Napa, Autozone... will match the quality
unless it's made by Zimmerman.

The car might not compare to a Corolla in terms of long term reliability, but the driving experience and comfort is a notch above.

The Humble mechanic and Deutsche Auto have very good detailed Youtube videos how to fix things.

A VCDS cable and software gives you full access to a as powerful VW dealer scan tool and also gives you the ability to
do options like rolling windows up or down when it's hot out:

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif
Use only quality parts either OE or OE supplier and be careful removing any wiring connectors, they are super easy to remove but most of the VW cars have more than a few broken ones from previous repairs, these can cause all sorts of trouble.
Use a pin removal tool and just get new connector housings, don't cut and splice. Look at doing the big 3 wiring upgrade, it really has some benefits on these cars.

I assume this is the one you were considering near the end of your other thread? Looks sharp! Hope it works out for you.

I like the prev gen styling better than the 2019 I just leased. Mine looks like a Marriage between a Ford Fusion and a Passat.

In fact mine is downright Ugly. But ... the 3 litre straight-six torque from the 1.4tsi and a 6M make up for the ugliness outside.

Your Rabbit? It's easier to have fun on a $3K investment. Less worries. Have fun and good luck.

- Remember: 4 is too small and 6 is too big. 5 is just right
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice get. I've always loved VW just for how solid they feel and the handling. Heck my 2011 Jetta has 130k on it and it sounds and handles like knew.
A few things from my personal experience.
1. Autozone type parts truly suck. Get parts at dealership or DAP, ECS or Blauparts.
2. Get yourself an OBDELEVEN and the app on your phone. Pulls codes reliably, better value than VCDS.
When it comes to codes presented for a MIL always start with the cheaper options first. I recently had the dashboard of the Jetta light up like a Christmas tree and all it was a tiny piece of metal shaving making contact with the right rear ABS sensor. Cleaned up with brake cleaner and a couple swipes with a brush and all codes cleared.
Charles at Humble Mechanic.com is awesome resource of VW knowledge

Enjoy.

I actually followed a 2004 R32 and gave my number to the owner in case he loses his mind and ever wants to sell it lol. I love the sound of the R32 motor. The 5 cylinder sounds great too with the right exhaust.

Last edited:
Deals like this make me wonder why people on this board pay over $2000 for 90s or early 2000s American cars. They really must hate VWs.

EDIT: Pay $2000+ then get a pat on the back when they post it on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back