New to the site, my experience with RP oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stumbled onto this site today from dodgedakotas.com. I have a '99 dakota V6 with a ton of Mods(a very awsome truck I might add!).

I have used Royal Purple 10w-30 since 1,000 miles, I now have 68,000+ miles. I have also used RP 5w-20&30 in my wife's cars('99, now'03 Accord 4cyl's). I also use RP gear lube in my Dakota's rearend.

I have been very happy with the performance of the oil to this point, both motors run smooth and get better mpg's than the EPA says they should.

But I must say that I know very little about all the specs that I have been reading on this site (using the search) regaurding oil analysis.

So my "findings" are very subjective, but I recommend to anyone who will listen, to use Royal Purple.

Anyway, I will be educating myself very quickly and hope to add to this site.

Darryl

welcome.gif

Welcome to the site!

Not to take away from your love of RP, but "smooth" and "better MPG" aren't really as scientific findings as we'd like them to be.
wink.gif
I'd suggest a UOA to verify how this oil is really doing in your engine.

I think the RP UOAs that we've seen here (very few though) weren't all that impressive, but every engine is different so we can't generalize.

cheers.gif

I use alot of RP products and have been very happy with them so far. I posted a good UOA on RP 5w30 in my GMC. There have been good and bad reports on RP depending on the vehicle, and I would recommend you do UOA's on your vehicles to see how well they like RP.

sbc350gearhead, This is not a flame but we have seen some incredable UOA on this site. I do not think we have seen too many really great UOA from anything General Notors has built or designed especialy with RP in their crank case!

Ok guys than here goes, if royal purple has such a bad "rating"(still learning), than which synthetic 10w-30 oil has the consistant best "rating".

And is there a dino oil that is close to the synthetics which would cost me way less?

I have been reading all day on this site about this, but what the heck!

Darryl

" ... which synthetic 10w-30 oil has the consistant best 'rating?'"

Good question. I wish I had a good, simple answer for you but all oils have had their ups and downs in the myriad of applications we've seen. Generalizations have been generally proven to be unreliable.
frown.gif

With Royal Purple, it shears down quicker than any other oil I have even seen tested ... even their "synthetic" 10W30 whih should be ultra stable. This alone might account for your better-than-expected mileage (reduced hydrodynamic drag). Mobil 1 has historically formulated their oils to be thin from the get-go for that same reason although we've seen some significantly thicker samples lately.

Wear with RP is a mixed bag. It tends to do well in applications which aren't too fussy ... like newer Subarus. Others seem hit-or-miss.
dunno.gif

We have proven that pretty much any oil is good for 3,000 - 3,500 miles. If there is a bad SL oil out there, I don't know of it.
spaz.gif

One thing I have to point out is the fact that for 5,000 and fewer miles, we've seen that the difference between "conventional" and "synthetic" oils have not been that great. I would not have believed this 2+ years ago.

Some of the best reports on here are from Chevron Supreme with a fewer number of Pennzoil reports suggesting similar performance from that oil as well.

Still, to answer your question as best I can, the best (most consistent) 10W30 I think we've seen on this site is Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 synthetic blend.

--- Bror Jace

[ November 12, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

JohnBrowning.....This is not a flame, but I posted a UOA on my camry with mobil 1 5w30, and people said it was phenomenal. I posted a report on my truck with RP 5w30, which has over 250% more displacement, and twice as many cylinders, and the wear metals were about twice the amount in the camry. Would you say that RP is failing that engine? It seems to be the 2nd best UOA posted on a smallblock chevy, next to the GC UOA that patman posted. Is RP the best oil on the market?....probably not. Is it the best for some engines?.....maybe. We have not seen many good reports on redline in any type of engine and yet we all still believe that it is a good oil. Large displacement GM engines usually do produce more wear metals than smaller engines, but they still seem to have excellent longevity.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

[ November 12, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

We have proven that pretty much any oil is good for 3,000 - 3,500 miles. If there is a bad SL oil out there, I don't know of it.
spaz.gif

One thing I have to point out is the fact that for 5,000 and fewer miles, we've seen that the difference between "conventional" and "synthetic" oils have not been that great.

Amen, Brother.
cheers.gif
Great post, that excerpt should be the official BITOG message to the world. For "normal" OCI's, all the hair splitting that goes on around here is just that. Of course, the hair splitting is what makes the forum worthwhile for oilaholics. For those not obsessed by oil, Bror's said everything they need to know.

sbc350, While it is a great UOA for a small block what have the previous UOA shown? I did notice that lead was 4 times higher then in the Camry,Cromium was 3 times higher, nickle was 2 times higher and iron was 3 times higher. All of this with a OCI of 500 fewer miles.

It is also silly to compare you small block to a i4 of totaly different design. Compared to the other small block UOA I have seen your does stand out!!

JB.....Any differences between the UOA's could be chalked up to lab accuracy (plus or minus 20%), additional highway miles on the camry, racing the truck, or the fact that it took me 6 six months for a 3.5k interval on the truck vs. 2 months for 4k on the camry........or that SBC's typically show higher wear metals. But we argue semantics here. The bottom line is, that we don't have enough info, to say that RP is a bad oil, or that it will only do well in engines that are not picky when it comes to oil.

What amazes me, is that when Terry Dyson says that redline is a good oil, everyone agrees with him, because he is probably the most knowlegeable person on this site. But when Terry says that RP is a good oil, then all of a sudden people think that Terry doesn't know what he is talking about.
confused.gif

I must admit that the extremes that RP goes to, to conceal their formulations, bothers me.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

spaz.gif

One thing I have to point out is the fact that for 5,000 and fewer miles, we've seen that the difference between "conventional" and "synthetic" oils have not been that great. I would not have believed this 2+ years ago.

--- Bror Jace

Me too Bror...I wouldn't have believed it either. Now though, that I've become "edumacated", it's funny to hear people (mostly on other sites and talking to people in person) talk about synthetic oils as if they are some magical elixir that will reduce wear under ALL circumstances.

I see synthetics beneficial in "extreme" conditions:

Very Low Temperatures
Very High Temperatures
Extended Drain Intervals
Very, Very Hard Running

OK guys, today I went down to Costco and bought a case of chevron supreme 10w-30 and also a K&N filter(love the build quality & 1" nut).

I also bought a cheapo fram filter. I drained all the RP out, then filled with the chevron and fram filter.

I drove around for 1/2 hour and drained all the chevron out. Then after completely letting it all drain, I again filled up with 4 more quarts of chevron with the K&N filter.

I am still ahead money compared to the Royal Purple. I don't know if I had to do this sort of "flush" first, but I know it certainly didn't hurt.

Thanks for all the helpfull answers,

Darryl

Darryl makes his first post @ 4:52 pm, then by 8:37 pm he's already gone & drained his RP synthetic he's used for 60k miles...& put Cheveron in his truck...
Geeze that's what I call one quick convert
grin.gif

Hey Darryl, dont believe them the RP is much better ! they were just kidding
lol.gif

No, I'm the one kidding around here, I prefer the dino oil in most cases over synthetics myself .
Welcome to the site, I bet you become addicted as well
smile.gif

Darryl: Sounds like you have an open mind. That's good. I started out here as a Mobil 1 fanatic and fortunately I am cured
smile.gif
. I think Bror Jace had some good information. I would add that Pennzoil, Motorcraft, and Castrol have all given outstanding dino reports at one time or another. But I would have to agree the Chevron Supreme is probably the best dino oil. As was mentioned the Schaeffer's blend performs right up there with a full synthetic. I am trying it now in one vehicle.
smile.gif
Schaeffer's Supreme 10W-30

There are oils other than 10W-30 to consider. For instance I'm sure you have been reading about Castrol 0W-30(GC= German Castrol) It must say "Made in Germany" As was pointed out you might want to do a Used Oil Analysis-but by all means-don't just switch bc of information here-UOA in your vehicle is most important.
cheers.gif

With the RP I went 5,000 miles between changes. But every time I had to pony out $34+ just for the oil and filter, it made me think; "Is RP really that much better?"

Now I'm spending $14+ and can spend the difference on some more motor mods!!

I am very dedicated in keeping MPG records, so this is going to be interesting to see what happens.

UOA will be in my near future.

God I love the internet!!

Darryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back