New to the site, my experience with RP oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Scali62:
Darryl makes his first post @ 4:52 pm, then by 8:37 pm he's already gone & drained his RP synthetic he's used for 60k miles...& put Cheveron in his truck...
Geeze that's what I call one quick convert
grin.gif

Keep in mind, he made his first post yesterday at 4:52pm, so it's been one full day and a few hours, not just a few hours.
smile.gif

Patman, true but still pretty darn quick
smile.gif

I dont blame him, either..
I personally do the 3k mile dino changes as well..
Darryl quotes ..
quote:

I'm very dedecated to keeping MPG records as well

Hmmm, he's going to fit right in here,
grin.gif

looking foward to checking out the results ...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:
Ok guys than here goes, if royal purple has such a bad "rating"(still learning), than which synthetic 10w-30 oil has the consistant best "rating".

And is there a dino oil that is close to the synthetics which would cost me way less?
Darryl

Mobil 1 appears to be the most consistant Synthetic. Amsoil consistantly turns in good results also.

Mineral, already been said, Chevron.

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:

I have been very happy with the performance of the oil to this point, both motors run smooth and get better mpg's than the EPA says they should.

I've used, but not test RP and have been happy with the milage (I'd get about 20 more miles per tank consistantly with RP, than M1) and it seems to make the motor runn smoother than M1.

But two things bother me, and bother me enough not to use it any more. 1) Running RP for 5k drains significantly thinned the oil out. This was evident even without a UOA, as my engine would get progressively louder around 3-5K miles. M1 and Quakerstate synthetic don't not do this as far as I can tell.
2)Techincal data on this oil and the make up of this it is not readily available. Only marketing hype. That really bothers me.

Gee Darryl you move pretty quick.
gr_eek2.gif

I hope you had at least 2,000 - 3,000 miles on that oil before you dumped it. I don't much care for RP but I wouldn't simply waste it.
dunno.gif

The flush wasn't necessary, I don't think, but it certainly didn't hurt. Chevron is inexpensive enough, though, and if you properly dispose of the used oil, no problem.
smile.gif

Like I hinted at, sbc350gearhead, YZF150 and a few others have had pretty good results running RP.

Ed Hackett uses RP in his WRX ... although these cars are inexpicably easy on oil despite being turbocharged. I don't think we've seen a bad UOA yet from them despite these cars being driven hard or even raced.
shocked.gif

But, like crashz said, I prefer other brands.
dunno.gif

Gonna try Red Line in my Spec-V soon and see how it holds up over the winter. Sub-freezing driving generally generates the poorest UOAs.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Gee Darryl you move pretty quick.
gr_eek2.gif

I hope you had at least 2,000 - 3,000 miles on that oil before you dumped it. I don't much care for RP but I wouldn't simply waste it.
dunno.gif

I'm still the king in that department, having drained out the Royal Purple from my wife's Civic with less than 90 miles on it.
smile.gif

Yea, it was time for my scheduled change.... ( or CLOSE enough)
wink.gif

I have been looking for any reason to stop using RP or any synthetic for that matter.

The reason I started with RP in the 1st place, is I plan on keeping my '99 Dakota for a while (+/- 10 years), and figured the synthetic would help ensure that.

What can I say, when I chose to do something, consider it done
grin.gif

You guys don't know the 1/2 of it!!!

Darryl

Guys, RP is a solid oil especially the racing oils. Their 0/5w-20 is a a new formula that bears watching.

Be careful jumping on the bandwagon of blaming a brand of oil for other inadequacies.

I do wish they would put out more test data.In defense of the company they are worried about theft of their unique theories of formulation.

Also they went right into the marketing chain like Redline instead of using the MLM marketing strategy. Thats a tough nut to crack and takes years to break through while the majors try to kill and/or steal from you.

Their people are very friendly and informative one on one which means a lot to me as a consultant.

If you have tech questions and they don't think you will blab all over the internet they will talk to you.

Call Dave Canitz specifically with tech questions.

Disclaimer; I do not work for RP or have any interest in you buying it, etc.

Terry

What it's like to be me:

Last year I found dodgedakotas.com on a Saturday afternoon. There are 100's of posts on mods that are really simple and make power.

Relocate IAT sensor; TPS mod; TV cable adjustment; NAPA brass cap & rotor; Autolite 3923 plugs, you get the idea!
shocked.gif

So I finish reading around 4:00pm and head off to NAPA and the other stores needed to get all the parts.

I'm home by 7:00pm, have dinner, then I get to work.

The next thing I know, I hear a loud noise outside the garage door, I open up said door to check what the heck's going on (picture Dr. Frankinstien right about now!)
freak2.gif

It's the paperboy throwing my Sunday paper on the driveway...... It's 6:00am Sunday morning!

A short time later, I finish. I try to sneak in but my wife spots me, all the while shaking her head.
twak.gif

So I hope this sheads some light on my quick "conversion" from RP to Chevron Supreme.
grin.gif

Darryl

Scali62: "Hmmm, he's going to fit right in here."

Yep, sounds like it.
cheers.gif

Terry, you know I respect your opinion but based on experiences/observations I'm still gonna prefer other brands.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

[ November 13, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Bror, as I respect yours.

Darryl, you will fit in quite nicely here, and make a good pit crew person.

Welcome, Terry

[ November 13, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

One thing I have to point out is the fact that for 5,000 and fewer miles, we've seen that the difference between "conventional" and "synthetic" oils have not been that great. I would not have believed this 2+ years ago.

Some of the best reports on here are from Chevron Supreme with a fewer number of Pennzoil reports suggesting similar performance from that oil as well.

I completely agree with this. I never would have thought this either, but it's proven to be the case. I've wasted probably a lot of money on synlubes. I think they excell in keeping the engine cleaner which is worth the price IMO. Chevron Supreme is an oil I might have to consider considering the cost.

Hey I never said that RP was a bad oil. We have not seen that many stand out UOA from vechiles running RP. This is a fact that you can confirm by searching the UOA section. We also have not seen to many great UOA of GM designed engines running RP. These two statements are not a matter of opion and can both be confirmed by searching the site! Now that we have that out of the way!!

The reason I do not like them has nothing to do with the wear numbers. I do not like my synthetic oils to shear out of grade so radicly! TO date most of the 10W30 UOA of RP I have seen have all sheared down to 20wt oils! If they do this in 3000 miles of use how are they going to be in 7500-10,000 miles of use?

In order for me to use RP it would have to provide something that I can not get with M1,Amsoil, or Redline. If it can not provide me with added value then the cost would have to be better. Currently RP cost me more then M1 or Amsoil 10W30 ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back