New to the LS460 and The World Of Lexus. Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having come from 15 years of Swedish cars, I'm new to the world of Lexus. I never imagined myself in a Lexus, but I found this LS for less than the cost of a new KIA and I figured I'd give it a try.

Stats: 2012 LS460 AWD with 126k, mint condition in and out. 2 previous owners from NY and TX. Bought from Carmax for $16k. They replaced the left axle, speed sensor, updated software after purchase. I spoke to them about my concerns with the odd trans shifting and paid Lexus to perform a full post-purchase inspection, but everyone tells me the transmission is operating within spec.

Questions:
1) Having tried all shifting modes(PWR/ECO), the trans is quite annoying. Shifts are lazy and not crisp. Under heavy acceleration it holds onto the gear way too long, and at 3-4k rpm for 5-7 seconds before upshifting. Is the unit fundamentally flawed by engineering or do I have a trans on the way out?
2) Both the manual and oil cap call for 0w20 or 5w20 only. Is this set in stone or can I play with higher weights without risking damage to the block?
3) Are there any fuel economy hacks that will make my ozone depleter better on fuel? After back to back RP and BG44k fuel treatments I'm getting close to max of EPA ratings, so I think it may not get better than this.
4) Heat is intermittent, blowing hot air about half of the time when needed. Any ideas for a fix?
5) HVAC settings defaults to 'Feet' EVERYTIME instead of last known setting whenever the car or HVAC is power cycled. Is this bad engineering or is something wrong here?
6) How powerful is the AWD...meaning, how extreme and hard can I push her? I've previously pushed my AWD Volvo wagons to the edges of the Earth and they owned it completely.
7) AWD maintenance, how often do I replace the fluids?
8) Trans flush and fill...is there an off the shelf equivalent to the Toyo/Lex fluids or just stick with OE?

Purchased a full bumper to bumper extended warranty with coverage up to 221k miles! or 6 years from Carchex.

I've put 5k miles on the clock in the first month of ownership and really quite enjoy her overall. Most comfortable and quiet land yacht I've ever owned, and the V8 power is unbelievable.

Thanks for the help!

[Linked Image]

One thing that I've learned about owning Toyota & Lexus models it to leave them alone as anything you try to do takes away from their goodness. Even replacing shocks/struts with non-OEM will not do. Or replacing parts in general with aftermarket parts is just subpar. No aftermarket parts seem anywhere near as good as OE.

This was the case for the Saab I owned, Volvo is more forgiving with non-OE, but with any car it all comes down to the quality of research one does prior to going off the plantation for parts.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
One thing that I've learned about owning Toyota & Lexus models it to leave them alone as anything you try to do takes away from their goodness. Even replacing shocks/struts with non-OEM will not do. Or replacing parts in general with aftermarket parts is just subpar. No aftermarket parts seem anywhere near as good as OE.

Better to go on ClubLexus and search/ask there. I have a GS 350 so some things are different. I don't want to say anything I'm not sure about. They are very reliable cars though.
I know those cars eat front end bushings. I test drove one and it had bad handling. It is a problem.
The other thing is it has brake by wire and it is very expensive to repair. It is a failure item. Maybe do a brake fluid exchange.

I suggest only toyota WS trans fluid, but others may have different opinions. There is a procedure for a pan drop, it has to be at temperature.

Diffs should be changed at 100K. The rear diff (on the GS 350 anyway) is speced for a special weight (85w75 I think). Only Toyota and Redline have it.
I think you have a better AWD system then the GS 350. They both have a planetary, full time t/c differential. This is actually what Subaru puts in their WRX. There is a clutch that locks if there is wheel slip, so it becomes 4x4.

Last edited:
Most of your issues can be addressed with TechStream- Toyota/Lexus' software where you can personalize settings for things such as HVAC, lighting etc.
I had issues with my Lexus with the HVAC always switching the a/c on when I put it to the lowest temp settings (very annoying).
It also would automatically move the steering wheel every time I'd turn it on/shut it off....also very annoying (I could imagine the cost of replacing the motor(s) when that fails).

After I got Techstream, I was introduced to a world of settings I could enable, disable or custom tailor to my preferences.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Nice car.

I would do a trans drain and fill to see how that improves the shifts.
I would go with toyota ws to minimize variables.

Have a link to the OE fluids? Also, how many qt's will I need?

You can change the car's hard-coded settings with Techstream or Carista if you'd rather not deal with TIS and buying a $500 Mongoose USB interface or a Chinese pirated cable for the offical program.

The only things to look out for on the 4th gen LS is the control arm bushings going out - it seems to be a common malady with the LS series anyway. They are solid cars, if not thirsty but expect to see mid-20s on the freeway. I'd do a few spill and fills of the tranny, I prefer WS but MaxLife will work. the transfer case does take a esoteric Toyota-only lube but the front/rear diffs do take 75W-85/90.

The AWD system is loosely based off a truck layout but with a 1-speed transfer case that uses a Torsen diff.

Change the transmission fluid. I bought a 2011 is250 the fluid has never changed. I have done 3 drains and fills and the transmission shifts better each time.

Fluid was black
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hm5nvolVY5LyRnM02_QdPfZ4nlDpT9LW

Aisin makes these transmissions. and suggest changing the fluid every 2 years,

Attached PDF (Fluid should not be black)

Toyota suggests changing the WS fluid every 3 years
https://www.joemyerstoyota.com/service/toyota-transmission-repair-houston-tx.htm

Lexus tells you the non-synthetic WS fluid is a lifetime.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 15
Originally Posted by Brybo86
Nice car.

I would do a trans drain and fill to see how that improves the shifts.
I would go with toyota ws to minimize variables.
WS? C'mon, don't be a wuss. Maxlife!

That seems like a lot of car for $16K.
Toyota's S-Class equivalent has always been a very nice car.
As others have noted, a dedicated Lexus board would probably be worth joining.
They'll have the answers as well as fixes for all of your concerns.

I've always loved these ever since they came out for 1989. I liked that first body style the best. But the later ones are neat, too.

Late 80s, early 90s was a really, really good time for Japanese automobiles!

She's the quietest and cushiest car I've owned. A 2004 Saab 9-5 preceded it and though I miss the raw balls to the wall paddle-shifting turbo4 that netted me 30mpg, it's nice to have found this girl. The aircon seats aren't as good in the Lex as they were in the 15 year old Swedish chariot, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back